Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
We had been looking for two years before we got our Airstream, we got lucky a purchased a new 2 year old Classic from a dealer which had had an accident moving it from a trade show. We got it for almost half the price. I also felt they were too expensive new, they still have minor flaws here and there from workmanship but on the whole they are far better built than any other trailer I have seen up close. We would have bought 70s or 80s unit but wanted a more recent 102" wide body. If it would have been just for me and my wife I would have prefered to buy a 60s Airstream and restored it.
Our previous trailer was a Fleetwood, nice looking but very cheap and the workmanship was very bad. Everything in the inside was installed crooked.
The only tip I can give you if you think their prices are too high, is to make sure you choose the right model and size for your present and future needs. It will outlast any fiberglass trailer but they still depreciate. Our Airstream is our first and last trailer, we chose the one we would keep until we would stop traveling.
Good luck.

wantostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...

Originally Posted by asnubie View Post
Ito get what I want regardless of price or find the 2nd best travel trailer.
The following is just my opinion..

I love my airstream but I would not consider to be better than all others. (I know that is Forum Blasphemy) I definately consider it to be one of the most unique and noticable of brands currently in production. There are many "High Quality" brands on the market, and there are many that I would put in the SOB catagory. Airstreams are certainly unique and garner attention from passers-by no matter what the size, or age.

As others have stated Bigfoot made a quality rig. If I were currently in the market I would strongly consider one that was available. Yes there may be issues with parts and service, but It's not easy finding parts, or service for the 33 and 36 year old units I currently own. Granted the issue of new vs. vintage is the primary reason for this. I would use Bigfoot's demise as a price negoitation tool to offset some of the risk.

There are numerous older units in amazing condition that can be purchased for a reasonable sum. As with anything else though. it pays to do your homework and know what trouble areas to look for, and the right questions to ask. Grab one of the volunteer inspectors off the forum list and have them do a walk through/crawl around /kick the tires inspection with you.

Other mfgs. I would consider are Avion (Silver Version), Cedar Creek, Montana, and if I'm really dreaming big, a Prevost motorcoach.

Regardless of the path you choose...If you're happy with it...That's all that matters.

Keep us posted as to your travels,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We couldn't afford a new Airstream but were fortunate enough to trip across a used one at a local dealer that happened to fit our needs (if not desires) nicely. The dealer wanted a pretty price but sweetened the pot by tossing in a bunch of extras which cinched the deal.

If I knew a little more about Airstreams at the time and had been willing to fly anywhere in North America, I could have found a private sale used one and saved another 25%, but I wasn't prepared to do that.

At the time we went to several RV shows but saw NO alternatives that interested us in the least. Suffice it to say, we love our entry-level Safari to death.

That being said, even if we could afford it there's no way I'd pay new retail for one -- IMO they just aren't worth it.

(Just being honest)
Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We have both a 78 Argosy and a 76 Airstream. The are still great trailers and we have had a lot of fun working on them. Perhaps you aren't into something that old; however, run a new axel under one, upgrade the frig and water heater, redo the plumbing if necessary, and you'll have a nice trailer that should last another 30 years. I see cute new trailers all the time, but I also see once cute fairly new trailers that did not hold up well at all. I also have a 1957 Santa Fe that is a favorite of mine, just no bathroom. I think this Santa Fe could be used as a storm shelter it is so well built. Had a flat roof that needed replaced, but other than that it's a great little trailer. You might try a 90's Airstream. Many of them are in pristine condition and good buys. Good luck, I hope you find what you love.
Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I'd have to try an Avion. Closest thing to an Airstream. I've had 2 Award trailers. Last one was a 1993 27'. Nice but not anything compared to the build I had on our 1993 29' Airstream Classic. The 29' is still one of my favorites.
2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
If you really want a AS you should consider setting a price limit and then go on a hunt. Now is a great time to buy. If you go with SOB, it may not satisfiy you and then you end up selling the box trailer for less than what you paid because you still want a AS and may eventually find one in your price range. Been there done that. Im not looking back though, we love our AS and feel we got a fair deal. Camping is fun regardless of the trailer but there is a big difference between AS and other campers. Good Luck.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I would have purchased a Airstream motorhome instead of a trailer.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
If not an AS, then what?? If we hadn't found, finally, the AS of our dreams, we wouldn't be pulling anything. It's as simple as that! We looked at many others - we went to shows and we went to campgrounds and looked around. We went to rallys and looked at all kinds of TTs. AS was the only choice we had. We purchased it new because it was a totally new world to us and we willingly paid for the two year guarantee that came with a new trailer. Even as a new one, we had to make it ours by reupholstering everything - sofa, dinette cushions, bedspread and new curtains. It was built as an Ocean Breeze and still carries the label but it ain't no Ocean Breeze now. I know, many will disagree with our decision, but we wanted it to be our TT and now it is. Keep looking - you never know what will show up tomorrow. It's out there... and you'll be so much happier you kept looking.

Those that kept mentioning the Arctic Fox - we looked all over for one...just to see what one looked like. Couldn't find one any place. I've still not seen one. Anxious to see what everyone likes about it. I've seen it written that it is a highly rated TT - but I don't know what it looks like.

We couldn't be happier with our AS. Our first year of towing has ended - we spent it learning how to 'stream. At summers end we towed it through Virginia and ended up making it into six states, spent thirty nights on it, and towed it nearly 2,000 miles. We learned something about towing and we can't wait to get started again........will winter ever end??????
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
No one has mentioned this brand and it has been around since the 50`s. Holiday Rambler makes a good product and years ago back in the 70`s Holiday Rambler had aluminum frames as well as Airstream.Just a thought.
1991 Airstream Excella 1000 34ft (SOLD)
1994 Chevrolet Crew Cab dually 2WD 6.5td
2005 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 2WD 5.3
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I agree that going with a used but cared for AS is probably the most economic way to get a good trailer. I have also owned an 83 Avion and was extremely impressed by the quality.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1996 25' Excella
Waco , Texas
If one can dream... I would have a Winnebago View or an Itasca Navion. Both are dodge sprinter based chassis mohos that have really good looking interiors and get around 18mpg. Behind the moho I would have a 16' or 19' Bambi, just for good measure.

Depending on what you are looking for and what you want to spend though I think there are some other travel trailer's worth looking at. Having just purchased my first TT, a 1981 27' A/S international, I'm amazed at how well everything works. I looked forever but ultimately decided on the A/S due to how easy they are to resell. But I have found that I absolutely love tinkering with this thing.

I plan to use mine for alot of winter camping (the first week we owned to we took it to Taos to go skiing) so sometimes I wish I had looked at more insulated trailers.

I would also recommend buying a book on basic rving to read up on all of the in and outs of RV ownership.

So like others have mentioned I would say...Bigfoot, Arctic Fox, Casita (these are small, but can be commonly found as they are made in TX), Star Craft, as well as Avions. Also look at Argosy's, I think they are commonly overlooked by most people who have airstream fever. That said they have everything on the inside that airstreams have and are generally cheaper than their shiny siblings.
Bearstream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
1999 30' Limited
Richmond Hill , Ontario
Asnubie - as mentioned a used Airstream is a good choice. Almost 5 years ago we bought a 78 Airstream Excella and its been a great trailer - no problems at all. An old AS is better than any other "new" trailers out there.
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I've had three of the rest, now to me i have the best. Along with an AS you have these forums, an extended family so to speak, AS camp trips, rallies , food , fun, drink, with like minded fantastic people. I never went on a Starcraft campout with other Starcrafters!! Set your budget and start lookin, the deals are out there.
Good Luck !!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
Right on Rivet master. He is so right, however look for used , get a free inspector and make sure everything works. I think you will see great deals.

gail is offline   Reply With Quote