Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
I typed up a long post similar to yours this morning but the system ate it and I hadn't saved it.(I should know better, more than half of my posts need to be re-typed and submitted.)
You said it better.
Just remember that these dealers are just regular guys who put up their life's savings to open a business. Risked their livlehood and the education of their children to better their lives. They work 70 to 90 hours a week and deserve to make a decent living for their efforts. They provide a fair wage for all of their employees and pay a great amount of taxes to the community.
It isn't cheap to run a business, I know.
I had a gentleman come in to my store and offer me $10 "profit" on a $400 item. He said I should just put the ten spot in my pocket and smile all the way to the bank. I asked what he did for a living and what he made. Carpenter and about $25 per hour. I told him I wanted him to build a deck for me on my house and I would pay him $5 per hour cash. He stated he couldn't make a living and feed his kids on that. I said "Why not, you are asking me to." He now understood. End of story.

We all want the best deal we can get. But we should let the dealer make a fair profit so that he will be around to help you when you need it. If every deal is made with little or no profit, he and his employees will all be looking for a job and the dealership will become a parking lot.

86' 345 MH. Named "AirBus". The wife and I finally agree.
JBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I admit it - I'm cheap. I don't care how much profit the dealer needs to stay in business. I don't care much about their service - as I will do most of that myself. I gave several dealers phone calls. Basically I told them what I wanted to buy, asked for their best "bid" price, and bought the cheapest. The range was 0% off (local dealer) to 25% off (far away dealer) and a few in-between... a $10,000 spread. For unrelated reasons I was visiting the area of the far away dealer, so bought the trailer while in the neighborhood and towed it home. Low price, no service... for $10,000 I will fix it myself or bring it to the factory. YMMV

dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
How much profit?

As much as he can. Welcome to Capitalism.

How much should you pay? As little as possible.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Whatever the market will bear....
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
28 % Off of MSRP

I was able to get 28% off of MSRP on a 2005 from a dealer who was going out of business. He had 2 trailers on the lot. He sold high end used sprots cars and made a mistake getting into the Airstream business and just wanted to get his lot space back.Takes a lot of space to sell trailers. The price point is difference also he wanted to turn his money a lot faster.

Of course I have no dealer support whatever and unit was sold as is. I do have the entire factory warranty with over a year to go. I love the trailer but if I had not had such a great deal I may have done something else.

Deals or out there but you have to make move quickly. I don't worry if the dealer or salesperson makes money it is their problem just as it is my problem to pay for the unit, it is all just business.

Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
I always say that EVERYBODY should be in business for themselves at least once. Even if it is only a paper route. A word from the Right.

86' 345 MH. Named "AirBus". The wife and I finally agree.
JBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Floor Plan

Once upon a time I worked as a programmer in a bank. I was the high priestess of the commercial loan system and learned a LOT about "dealer floor plan".

Dealers don't buy their cars, trucks, etc. they finance them and pay simple interest every day the unit sits on the floor. When they sell the unit they pay off the financial institution, and hopefully take a decent profit.

In any kind of retail, you sell some stuff at full price, some at 10% sale and some you move off the rack at a loss so you can put in newer, more desirable stock. Interest at 7% on a $50K RV is about $10 per DAY... so sitting on a piece of inventory for 90 days... it's often more cost effective to dump it quickly, cheaply.

Most well established RV dealers know how to make a profit... but they make that profit on their overall sales. I saw a yellow upholstered CCD with BLUE inside the upper cabinets that the dealer was almost ready to pay me to take off the lot. Because I sew, I could have easily reupholstered the cushions, etc. and stuck down a second layer of laminate on the inside of the cabinets.. or even just used a "paint over plastic" paint to redo them.

I wanted the FB SE, so I passed on a great deal.

Hey, Vern (53 Flying Cloud) How are you? Haven't seen you post for a while. Good to know you're still out there kicking. Guess what, I'm backing up with ease and confidence.... And I thought I couldn't learn.

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote