Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
How many used AS did you check out before you purchased?

For those of you that bought used Airstreams, how many did you look at in person before you bought it? Is it one of those cases where you "just knew?" I'm just wondering what the average number would be.

Since there aren't a lot of vintage Airstreams in one place, I'm picturing quite a few road trips (or at least asking an Airstream expert to do an inspection in my place). What should be the realistic expectation?

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I looked at 3 used ones at my dealership. The first one had been through a tornado. While it had a few scuffs from flying debris, it wasn't too bad. Interestingly enough there were pieces of roof shingles wedged between the awning and the body.

The second one wasn't bad until I went through and found the former owner had put screws in the walls where ever he wanted to hang something. Not very nice.

I forgot what I didn't like about the third one but finally the dealer told me kiddingly that obviously I wouldn't be satisfied unless the trailer was new. I agreed and three months later bought a new one.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I may be an outlier on the low end, but I bought the 3rd trailer I looked at after "getting serious" and only the 2nd trailer I did a full-on inspection checklist. The way the purchase happened still seems weird, but nearly 2 years in I haven't had a moment when I regretted it.

I think when you're looking at used units, it's going to depend on the luck of the draw and what you're looking for. I was open to all sorts of options, but I wanted something that would be ready to camp in without a lot of work. While I've done some upgrades and improvements, our first several camping trips were done pretty much as it came to us from the previous owner, with the only real problem being some drippy waste valves that I got corrected right away.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
If you are thinking about buying a used one that is only a few years old, then I suggest you take the great advice these forums gave us: go to a dealer and spend some time in every model. Try the bed. Spend time in the dinette and/or lounge area to see how comfortable it is for longer periods. Visualize how you will use it.

It is a lot like buying a (little) house -- it has to be right for you, and you will know when it is.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Full disclosure about my 2nd-serious-inspection experience: I had been a somewhat-rabid reader of AIRForums for a few years before I was in a position to look seriously at trailers, so I'm not normal (ask anyone who knows me, they'll probably agree. )

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Old #1: Purchased the first Airstream we looked at.
Old #2: Purchased the first time we looked at it while Old #1 was being serviced.
Old #3: Purchased the first time we went looking after selling Old #2
Old #4: Purchased on the internet, and had it delivered to Albuquerque.
See Registry for more details.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We bought the first one we looked at too...our 1964 GlobeTrotter. It was the 1st Airstream I ever stepped foot in. We had it for about 8 years before selling it. We've since looked at every trailer we could at rallies & on the road looking for "our next project" & "the perfect plan". We bought our 1956 Safari pretty much sight unseen because we knew we liked the layout & the outside was in pretty good shape. We've also bought a couple of vintage kin - "right place, right time, right price"...we tend to be a bit impulsive.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Since "impulsive" is my middle name, that's good to know, Shari!!

But seriously, I am in savings mode just trying to get up the cash so that when the time to make a move is right, then I'm ready. I do have a couple that if the funds were there at the moment, I think I'd be calling on the inspectors to go do a look-see. Hoping to have myself in a better situation by mid-summer! (As you can see, I'm already chomping at the bit...trying to get as much info as possible).

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Bought the first and only Airstream we had ever seen. Later we bought another one. Only 2 for sale I have ever looked at. Both had probelems. Both cost a bit of money to fix. But they now work fine. I knew nothing to "check out" when we started.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Floral City , Florida
I have purchased 2 used Airstreams in the past few years. My first one was a 2003 Bambi (19ft) purchased in mid-2010. It was advertised in our small town daily newspaper for about 6 weeks at what I now know was a very low price. About a month after the ad first appeared, the price was reduced by $2,000 so I decided to go look at it...about 30 miles away. It looked brand new, and though I knew absolutely nothing about travel trailers or Airstreams, my wife always wanted a Bambi, so we bought it. We were not disappointed.

We used it for two years, logging over 15,000 miles, but one week in the Spring of 2012 spent in the Florida Panhandle with "no-seeums" convinced us we needed something a little larger if we were ever forced by weather or bugs to stay inside (with our two dogs) for long periods of time.

It was then that I began to search the Airstream Classifieds. I searched daily, sometimes twice a day, looking for a 23 foot Airstream. By then I knew the Airstream Classifieds existed...I am sure the Bambi never appeared there...just in the local paper. After a couple of months, and some phone calls and e-mails I came across just what I had been looking for. After learning more from the seller we drove about 10 hours to have a look (cashier's check in hand), and we came back with a 2006 Safari (23 ft), in June of 2012. It was just like our Bambi, with a four foot addition in front of the kitchen. We were home with our new Airstream for less than a week before we were scheduled to leave for a 6 week vacation in the Canadian Maritimes in our new Airstream.

Both units were relatively new (6-7 years old) when we bought them. Both were on their second set of tires. I had each inspected by a local RV repair shop with Airstream experience (after I bought them). No big problems. We had some work done on each unit after a time, new brakes, pack wheel bearings, new batteries, etc.

I sold the Bambi on the Airstream Classifieds. Interesting experience. The buyer was a broker who treated the purchase (and sale I presume) much as a commodity. He asked for pictures, talked me around the unit asking questions as we went around it) and then after getting a fax copy of my title (which said "void" all over it since it was a xerox copy) he was satisfied that I actually owned the unit and he wired the money to my bank account. All of this happened within 18 hours of listing the Bambi on the Classifieds! Two days later a driver picked up the unit at my house and left for the Midwest! Two days after that we left for Canada.

Probably not a typical experience.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #11

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I bought ours from pictures online! There were none close to us and one popped up in Williamsburg VA and it took several weeks but after I found a great member close by he and his wife looked it over and told me it was close to perfect! We purchased it with a cashiers check (through our banks) and the bank held the title until they felt comfortable that the check was indeed real and sent me my title. I felt good about the people we bought it from and having another meet them and inspect the trailer made me rest easy at night. I drove 2400 miles round trip though, rain sleet, ice and snow but got her home three years ago and haven't regretted ever since! Take your time and dealing in person is best but this way worked for us. Good luck and keep dreaming! Half the fun is the HUNT!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We searched casually for several years, then finally bought a new one; because we couldn't find one that we liked. Most of the good, used ones seem to be passed down to family members or snatched up by next door neighbors; and they never make it to the classified ads. The rest seemed like they needed to be restored, which is OK if that's what you intend.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
We actually looked at three used Airstreams before we bought. We lucked into just the right one only half an hour away. Just what we wanted, good price. But the looking is loads of fun!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
Bought mine while driving home... saw it with for sale sign in window about a mile from house in rural area. Someone was getting a tour and I was asked by owner to join in with any questions... Decided to wait at the side until possible buyer was finished... When done without looking inside offered 66% of what the buyer wanted... We agreed on that price... Figured by the way it is built anything wrong could be fixed if cost was right after all it's an AIRSTREAM , right. 1984 AS 345. When the seller delivered it two days later finally got a look at the inside.

Maybe not the smartest way to buy but got the price to be able to rebuild it the way I want