Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
"Home" inspection of new FC 27FB?

Hello folks - I didn't see any topics on this and searched a few different ways. If I missed it, please be gentle :-)

Was just wondering - when you buy a home, whether brand new or very old, it's customary to have an independent, thorough home inspection. I've seen some threads discuss using an AS dealer to inspect a used trailer, but are there independent inspectors who would do new ones before a sale? Does that even make sense? Thanks for your thoughts!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
On the right column of the portal (home) page of this site, look for Airstream Inspectors.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Thanks for this question.

While on my search, I wondered about this too. As a n00b, I know only that I know very little. So I took an unconventional approach. Having an inspector really helped me.

I'd looked at a couple of used A/S in the past and was unable to make a decision. A WBCCI member hooked me up with an original A/S owner who was selling their 2004. I tried without success to locate a volunteer A/S inspector. So this is what I did:

-downloaded the inspection checklist from this site and reviewed it several times, & made copies of it
-enlisted a friend who is a home inspector to do a modified inspection--no written report except the checklist, notes and pics
-asked lots of questions of the owner and had him demonstrate operations (sometimes more than once!)
-took a lot of pictures and notes
-examined and briefly operated every appliance, looked in every cabinet, operated every light

The inspector used the checklist, moisture meter, voltmeter, inspection camera, receptacle tester, and other tools of the trade. It checked out well. Owner's patience started wearing thin after about 4 hours so my crew took a break and went off-site to compare notes and discuss our "findings". Having no prior TT experience, my inspector would neither suggest or discourage the purchase. I evaluated all the information on my own. Hearing from someone who was not emotionally involved in the purchase was great.

I was pretty sure at that point so asked to spend a night in the A/S. By then we'd established a rapport with the owner. They said yes and we set a date.

A week or so later, four of us (inspector, me, and our SO's) slept over parked in the owner's driveway
-practiced using the furnace, water pump, hot water heater, oven, microwave, a/c, shower, heat pump, awning, stabilizers, shore power, battery power etc. (though not all at once!)
-examined the power panel, the converter, the plumbing under both sinks, the electric hitch, sewer and gray water set up
-crawled under the A/S and took pictures of the underbelly
-AND we baked a pie in the oven to share with our hosts.

We all shared coffee and pie. After the inspector and overnight guest left, I was ready to discuss price with some assurance. I had the checklist and notes in a folder. The negotiation was fairly easy as there was little to disparage that hadn't already been noted, and little to brag about that hadn't already been emphasized.

They gave me the service records, all literature related to appliances, many of the little extras like fuses, hoses, tape, and most thrilling of all, the blue airstream folding chairs! When we shook hands over the deal I was in heaven. And still am. Not a moment of buyer's remorse or disappointment. Only the wish to hit the road more often.

Two weeks later, we took an amazing shakedown trip with no mishaps. This summer, we attended several rallies and took a few trips on our own. I also took a six-day solo trip which was exhilarating.

If I ever get to do something like this again, I'll find an inspector to accompany me. It's really good to get an opinion from someone who is outside the equation. When I get more experience, I'll volunteer to inspect. In the meantime, I would recommend having someone with you to act as an inspector. Having an inspector was a tremendous factor in my confidence in the purchase of my "Beauty".

Although this method is not for everybody, it sure worked for this n00b!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Mike and Scooter. First, I have to use this site from a pc (iPhone doesn't show the list of appraisers).

Scooter - that's a great description. We're buying new but even new, stuff can go wrong at the factory or on the way to the dealer. I don't want to be a pain to the dealer, but this isn't a $10 purchase. I'll check out the list of appraisers. Thanks muchly!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote