Old 08-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you chat with various people at JC, the 25 to 27' range has been the big seller pretty much forever. Looking at various models and getting attached to a 27' is not an uncommon thing to have happen. Right now the Globetrotter is a very hot item sales wise. Finding one to look at may not be easy. You also may not get quite as good a deal on one right now simply because they are selling so well. Don't take that as a knock on buying one, simply accept that you are after "the right trailer" .

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , Illinois
Help getting started?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
JMynesóduly noted. For me, there are two ďtail wagging the dogĒ scenarios here. One is of course getting a TV that is under-specced and being thrown all over the road. The other is getting a large TV that tows extremely well on the open highway but sucks having to drive for the other 90% of the year. I need to find a balance between these two. Iím not ruling out the 250 but I just happened to see one have to take several stabs at turning around in a cul-de-sac. Was a bit of a sad clown moment for sure. In any case, I wonít compromise on safety, and donít want a truck that forces me to leave things we want behind (we can be rather spartan, but we are also a pretty active family). Iím just starting to understand the numbers and truck specs; we will see where that nets out.

Patricia, did you go with MO because of price, or because you got a better feeling about them or their service?

Great price. We worked with JR.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Another thought...the longer your set up, the less maneuverability and the fewer choices you have when it comes to camp sites . It's worth thinking ahead about where you think you'll be going and if the sites are large enough and accessible enough for the rig you're looking at.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Another thought...the longer your set up, the less maneuverability and the fewer choices you have when it comes to camp sites . It's worth thinking ahead about where you think you'll be going and if the sites are large enough and accessible enough for the rig you're looking at.
Absolutely. When I started this project, I was pretty set on a trailer I could tow with my existing vehicle for weekend/weeklong outings. Then everything got bigger--extending my sabbatical to take the around the country, then that became Alaska, then the small trailer became a larger trailer, which became and Airstream, which requires a new vehicle. I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom this has happened. I sure do feel lucky to be able to follow through on it.

In any case, I've looked at the national and state park guidelines and trailer-wise we're good for most of them. There are some discrepancies in terms of between total length (TV+TV) and trailer-only length restrictions and from what I gather some park rangers can be arbitrary about enforcement. But from what I've read a trailer 28' or less will get us into over 90% of national parks. And if not, we'll figure it out. We'll be bringing our tent too.

As far as I can tell so far, a 28' trailer and a 1/2 ton truck are pretty modest when it comes to the RV world, right?
nryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Yep
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
JMynes—duly noted. For me, there are two “tail wagging the dog” scenarios here. One is of course getting a TV that is under-specced and being thrown all over the road. The other is getting a large TV that tows extremely well on the open highway but sucks having to drive for the other 90% of the year. I need to find a balance between these two. I’m not ruling out the 250 but I just happened to see one have to take several stabs at turning around in a cul-de-sac. Was a bit of a sad clown moment for sure. In any case, I won’t compromise on safety, and don’t want a truck that forces me to leave things we want behind (we can be rather spartan, but we are also a pretty active family). I’m just starting to understand the numbers and truck specs; we will see where that nets out.

Patricia, did you go with MO because of price, or because you got a better feeling about them or their service?
The best TV is limited in size. Size becomes a disadvantage. A safety problem. Handling, steering and braking are what matters. Are crucial. Your research was a yard wide and an inch deep given that bad assumption.

So what were the others?

TV spec has something to do with vehicle load. So where are the scale tickets representing those? (Use of a rental truck?). Especially of the items it is impossible to carry in a closed passenger compartment as that’s the single pickup truck criterion. Solo and vacationing.

Hope you never tell anyone you “exhaustively studied the question”, ha!

Get a Hensley-patent hitch. The truck (not trailer) requires it. A truck as TV makes it the likely initiator of a loss-of-control accident. The trailer is more stable where it counts. Lane changes, tripping hazards, surface adhesion and the other problems of on-road stability are what we’d have seen in a discussion of “tow vehicle specification” worthy of keeping.

The second part is in setting the hitch. Understanding how this works is what eliminates bad TV choice. But, again, pretty well everyone around here is no help at that either. They get it wrong. The execution of adjusting leverage. Default is the TT hopping along on the front axle. All day, every day.

No one wakes up that morning and contemplates it as their last day. Or last day as a viable human. Only takes once.

And, yeah, they were “above average drivers”, also. At the wheel of their magical pickemup.

Risk Reduction is the heading.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #22
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , Illinois
Price and good communication that answered all of our questions. But.....our salesman just left. Don’t know if that’s good or bad.
patriciahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I discount all the posts about a 3/4 ton not being a good daily driver. Since 2006, I have driven more than 200000 miles in a 2500HD and love it. I like the firm ride and being able to tow/haul virtually anything. On our last long trip, we averaged 14.2 mpg. I would not own anything else-even without an AS.

Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote