Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Personally, I greatly prefer an Airstream, and a Tradewind is a great size for two people. However, that particular one would be one heck of a project and pretty darn expensive. Even pinching pennies, I'd figure a minimum of $15K to get it how you like it, plus you'd need a reasonably secure covered place to work on it.

I'd keep looking.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
I'd say keep looking the AS is a major undertaking from the pictures. There is a book out( forget the title ) but his advise is don't fall in love with the first one you look at. We did but we lucked out but still invested a year and nearly 4 times our purchase price in renovations and that was cheap because every thing was still there and had not been ripped out or ruined.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
This isn't the first one I've seen, but out of the three I've seen in person, two of them were ground-up renovations. And the one I saw that might have been good I didn't have enough saved to buy it at the time.

I'm going to keep looking for a ready to go Overlander, Tradewind, or Argosy (or something smaller if I can find it in my budget) and look into getting a better tow vehicle in the meantime.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Like many of us who have done this have said.
Find a nice trailer that has "GOOD BONES" Solid frame, no rear end separation, minimal rusting and few leaks. Jumping on the bumper test is good.
It is important to your nose as well. 1rst thing you do when you open the door is smell for mold. Smell around the floor and walls. This will tell you if it's been leaking even if you can not see it.
I ended up spending over 30K and 2 years on a ground up. Oh yeah, it's very nice, better than new, however to much time and money.
If I were to do again I would find good one I can use now, then change it as I go.

-Dennis
Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

You said the B word……Budget

When it's all said and done, you could easily spend between $ 20-30 K. OR do everything yourself and still spend A LOT, use up a lot of your time that you could be making money or enjoying life. If you love the look of Airstreams and love working on them, well then that is a different story.

There are some really cool vintage styled reissue trailers ( canned ham ) that you could purchase brand new for that type of money.

What are your intentions and needs? I NEEDED a trailer, to bring the kids to about 15 events a year. Is it going to be an outdoor man/woman cave? Do you love camping? Do you need it for festivals, rodeos, or visiting relatives? Do you need a guest house?

The other advise given is good. Figure out how much you can afford, and how much it would cost to finish one of these trailers. Then wait for a newer, ready to camp trailer.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
It seems you've already come to a realization about this particular Tradewind as being too much work.

For the Argosy in question... I own (and like) Argosy trailers. As a general rule I'd avoid long rear-bath '70s trailers from either brand, the bath fixtures and black tank bouncing around that far aft of the axle just seems like a bad idea. My Argosy 24 has a rear bath and I made a point to find a center-bath for the project trailer.

The general advice I've seen on the Forums and agree with is to buy a trailer in the best condition you can afford to start your project. It seems that while it costs $10k to buy a $10k trailer, it also costs $10k to make a $5k trailer worth $10k.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Hi There,

The title is valuable, not worth much but parts without it. The window edging, door hinge, foam remnants on frame, indicate 1968.
The lack of a title may not be a deal-breaker. I've purchased two vintage trailers without titles and registered them through the Staab Agency in Maine as an intermediate step to importing them into Canada and registering them in Ontario. You'd need to check with your DMV, but I would think that if it's good enough for crossing an international border it should be good enough for a different state. There's more info here.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'm going to keep looking for a ready to go Overlander, Tradewind, or Argosy (or something smaller if I can find it in my budget) and look into getting a better tow vehicle in the meantime.

Good decision, the AS was a multi year project, and if you thought the Arg was to long it probably would have been. Keep an eye on the classifieds regularly, sign up for the daily email. Late summer lots start getting listed and you might find one you'll really want that won't be so much work.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
Sounds like the Tradewind is the better buy if both are same price range. Here's why. A shorter double axle Airstream is worth more than an Argosy, it is lighter to match your tow vehicles, it is a good year to minimize expense. If you buy it and don't complete it or find it's not right for you-it will be an easier sell.
If panels are good and windows are flat glass, that is a big plus. But, aren't all 66-68 Corning curved glass? Those are pricey. Florida trailers are known for frame rot, be careful. Anything you need to know or have to do can be learned here and on many helpful sites. Parts are available and the project will be fulfilling. Notice I didn't say easy or always fun. What you'll have in the end will be a worthwhile investment. Treat both like they will both need everything since you can never be sure, then ask yourself, "is this the trailer I want to invest my time and energy into?" If yes, proceed. If no, wait and learn more about what the different years offer including: floor plans, weights and all the fun stuff that makes a unit just right for you! There are plenty of them out there...don't rush it.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Redgranite , Wisconsin
Sounds like the Tradewind is the better buy if both are same price range. Here's why. A shorter double axle Airstream is worth more than an Argosy, it is lighter to match your tow vehicles, it is a good year to minimize expense. If you buy it and don't complete it or find it's not right for you-it will be an easier sell.
If panels are good and windows are flat glass, that is a big plus. But, aren't all 66-68 Corning curved glass? Those are pricey. Florida trailers are known for frame rot, be careful. Anything you need to know or have to do can be learned here and on many helpful sites. Parts are available and the project will be fulfilling. Notice I didn't say easy or always fun. What you'll have in the end will be a worthwhile investment. Treat both like they will both need everything since you can never be sure, then ask yourself, "is this the trailer I want to invest my time and energy into?" If yes, proceed. If no, wait and learn more about what the different years offer including: floorplans, weights and all the fun stuff that makes a unit just right for you! There are plenty of them out there...don't rush it.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Even though I haven't been "home" (Satellite Beach) in several years, I continue to browse Craigslist in Treasure Coast and Space Coast regularly. There have been several sweet Airstream ads that I have forwarded to my cousin (in Pt St Lucie) but I can't convince her to purchase. So, I'd just keep on looking!!! And when you find one that you are interested in again, look for an inspector on this site. Invaluable!!!

I bought mine in Melbourne, knowing 1/4 of what you already know.... I have done a lot of work on her (axles, floor repair, electrical, etc) - thankfully she's always been road worthy and usable. I've collected a ton of "projects" that are waiting to be complete (fabrics, paints, new range & refer, etc) but the work is hard when you can't store it at your home... And traveling to/fro a storage lot with a generator is tiring.

Also, I towed my 27' all over south FL with a Xterra. I never once had any difficulty. But a few folks suggested I was unsafe, especially if needing to stop on I-95, and I upgraded to a full size SUV. I still don't think it was absolutely necessary for my driving at the time, but now that I've towed cross-country, I know the larger truck was a good investment (for mountains).

Good luck to you - wish I was "home".

Laura