Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Getting ready to pull the trigger, guns loaded One last check down range.

I have been in negotiations with a buyer about 3 hours away on a 2007 AS Safari 25, rear twin. They are the 2nd owner. The unit has been trailered very little, mostly sitting in a campground and pulled out when the owner wants to use it. Exterior is in very good shape. Interior is OK. 2 year old tires. New Microwave. No hitch. The only water damage admitted to was around the door. The floor was replaced in that area. His offer price was $35K.

I offered $25K with the assumption that nothing works. Contingent on an inspection that I would pay for at the AS dealer.
The unit sits in a spot without power. He countered with $32K and said it wasn't worth more time to make this happen.

So my question to the esteemed forum, Is $32K an OK price?

This size unit is popping up much in the for sale or recently sold. Here's what prices of anything near in size I can confirm:
OODM
2017 Flying Cloud 25 $85,034 MSRP
2016 Flying Cloud 26 U 87,076 MSRP

Colonial
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB 85,267
2013 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB 46,995

Since this unit is a Safari, I believe it is a level below a Flying Cloud, right?

Looking at AS Forum for the 2007 Safari, there is significant conversation around and examples of leaking around the back bumper. I could not see it from my looking but could not pull the belly pan. I put my potential exposure to 3K for mitigation, worst case.
Another $300- $500 for converter, pump and whatever doesn't turn on and work when I get to shore power.

Is 32K fair all around or still too high w/o inspection. Believe me I am not trying to steal this AS. I want to be fair to both of us. I wouldn't put it out her if I didn't want your opinions.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I've gone back and read your other posts.

That he won't connect to power to validate everything works is to me a red flag and I'd walk. That's me. Your mileage may vary.

Secondly, you seem to be relying on an appointment with an AS dealer for an inspection. You may want instead to search for inspectors right here on the forums in the geographic area of the trailer and see if you can find one to help you out.

Then again, the seller (you meant seller in your post here, yes?) sounds like he's playing hardball - "it's not worth any more time"? Really? If he's got buyers lining up, then sure. And if not - take your time, be comfortable you're making the right decision and move on if it doesn't feel right.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
For the kind of money you're talking about, buy a generator and go test everything out.

Also bring a jack, stands and a wheel wrench and pull the wheel's.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Also be careful and do not shoot yourself in the foot.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think the Safari and Flying Cloud are the same. Just made at different times. That era trailer was prone to leaks around the bumper causing floor rot. I'd assume the worst. Best if you can pull up some of the lineolium to confirm. The fabric cushions may need replacement and that can be costly.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ready to pull the trigger with a shot in the dark.

Being it's had floor rot around the door, that's an indication it was not inspected and maintained for leaks. That means it probably also has floor rot at the rear bumper plate area, most of them do.

I think the 2007 Safari is a base model (we had a 2007 Safari SE), no pano windows and other upgrades.

There will be other accessory issues due to age, and quite possibly filiform corrosion around the rivets and shell panel edges. Was it properly winterized each year, three storage tanks, and plumbing that may leak. Electrical systems, batteries, converter/charger.

I would rather have one well-traveled, maintained and kept road-worthy than a lot queen out in the weather.

You need someone very familiar with Airstreams to inspect this for you, including a full systems check. As well as brakes and running gear. If the owner doesn't like it, walk away. $25 to 32K is a lot of money for a trailer with so many potential issues, and a base model at that.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
For what it is worth

Sent you a PM with some pricing information that might be helpful

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming

I am thinking this seller is clueless he should know that any buyer will want to test the systems...Wait I think there are some very emotional buyers out there that will just throw money to own an AS. But someone with some fiscal responsibility will force him to power up.
Bringing a generator will not check out the AC.
I have a non-dealer inspector that will come to check it out, but still no power on site. That's why a dealer is an option. BTW, I have a restorer that will inspect should the seller agree to take it there.

So we sit more or less
10K apart on price. No I'm not just sitting , I'm still looking and waiting.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
If he won't bring it to somewhere with power, or let you do it, move on unless he takes your $25k. When I bought mine, the PO towed it to a spot near the airport for testing, and split the cost of my airfare to fly in.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've been in a similar situation.
I didn't get that trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Safe that weapon!

Any fair minded seller with nothing to hide should be willing to allow an inspection and power up.

FYI I had a 2006 Safari SE 75th anniversary (lots of extras from factory plus wood floor, surge prot and bike rack) I sold for $35k. It was in great shape and everything worked.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Pushy???

There is nothing worse in this world is a pushy seller. If it were my Airstream and I had nothing to hide, I would be happy to plug it in to show off that I was selling a used but well cared for trailer. You MUST assume he has issues to hide.
As for the selling price. People will tell you to keep emotions out of the deal. It is difficult when it is an Airstream. The price should be whatever you are ready to pay... Anything more would be time to walk. Nothing is worse than paying more for something and then finding out it has flaws. Buying at a comfortable price takes the sting out of having to make a few repairs. Trust me you WILL need to make repairs and you WILL want to make improvements to make it your own. Paying too much will kill those plans for sure.
Feel blessed to be shoping for an Airstream. My wife and I went through four box trailers before we gave in to needing an Airstream to get the quality we felt we deserved for our hard earned money. Good luck... Take it as slowly as you want and don't be pushed...
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
I have been in negotiations with a buyer about 3 hours away on a 2007 AS Safari 25, rear twin. They are the 2nd owner. The unit has been trailered very little, mostly sitting in a campground and pulled out when the owner wants to use it. Exterior is in very good shape. Interior is OK. 2 year old tires. New Microwave. No hitch. The only water damage admitted to was around the door. The floor was replaced in that area. His offer price was $35K.

I offered $25K with the assumption that nothing works. Contingent on an inspection that I would pay for at the AS dealer.
The unit sits in a spot without power. He countered with $32K and said it wasn't worth more time to make this happen.

This size unit is popping up much in the for sale or recently sold. Here's what prices of anything near in size I can confirm:
OODM

Colonial

Since this unit is a Safari, I believe it is a level below a Flying Cloud, right?

Looking at AS Forum for the 2007 Safari, there is significant conversation around and examples of leaking around the back bumper. I could not see it from my looking but could not pull the belly pan. I put my potential exposure to 3K for mitigation, worst case.
Another $300- $500 for converter, pump and whatever doesn't turn on and work when I get to shore power.

Is 32K fair all around or still too high w/o inspection. Believe me I am not trying to steal this AS. I want to be fair to both of us. I wouldn't put it out her if I didn't want your opinions.
Inspection very important and check for leaks carefully
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
There are always other Airstreams for sale if this one doesn't work out

As far as I know there are other Airstreams for sale!
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
You say:

OODM

Colonial

Those look like MSRP or dealers' offer prices.

In my experience, with some sleuthing & price shopping, you should be able to buy a new AS at 20% off MSRP. I bought a new 2016 FC 27 FB for approx. $15K under your quoted price for a 25 & found many other dealers who quoted me a price not much above the price I ultimately paid.

It's easy to overpay for an AS, new or used. But there are lots of AS dealers & lots of used ASs, so you really shouldn't have to overpay unless you really want to (for example, because you "want it now" & don't want to put in the time to shop).
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post

OODM

Colonial

If this thing has been sitting around in a campground for a long time, I would definately check for corrosion and rust on the steel frames.
Metal items sitting in grassy fields, and/or moist ground will rust three times faster than normal due to moisture from vegetation AND high oxygen content of the air from the vegetation.
Also check for mouse and 'critter' incursions in the coach work.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote