Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Your experience with online fraud?
I have experienced online fraud personally 16 61.54%
A friend has experienced online fraud 2 7.69%
I have no experience with online fraud 10 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Exclamation Fraud / Hackers / Scams - Look out when selling in the classifieds!

Hello All!

I wanted to let everyone know about potential hackers and scammers on the Airstream Classifieds site. I have my Airstream listed there for sale (2010 Airstream International 27 for sale in Calgary, Alberta) and have received some fraudulent inquiries for it. I have spent my career in software so I have seen many of these scams over the years. The shocking thing is that they are still doing these scams as they do get the odd trusting person to fall for them. There was a case near me a couple of months ago where a couple bought an AS and never got it as it did't exist, and lost their money.

So, I have received some of these inquiries from the Airstream Classified site, so these predators are combing the site looking for opportunities. Here is one example. I was contacted through the classifieds site by a person looking to buy my AS. The email looked a little off so I checked into it. The emails through the site shows the IP address of the person sending the email. They said they were from Wisconsin but their IP was in Africa and their phone number was California. So unless they are traveling a lot around the world, this should be a first red flag. After digging deeper I discovered this was a scam trying to get my Airstream without paying for it. I had 2 of these yesterday alone.

Here are some guidelines when buying / selling online:

- When getting an email from the classifieds you will get the users IP address, use a tool like this one to see where they are sending the email from: IP Address Lookup This will give you the information about where they sent the email from, so if they say they are down the street yet their computer is around the world, this should raise some concerns.
- Check the users profile on this site. Go to the page Airstream Forums - Members List and click on the Search Member link in the top right of the member list, then enter in the member id you got in the email they sent you. If they just joined that day and have no history this should potentially raise some more concerns for you.
- ALWAYS meet face to face, meet in a public place where there are other people around.
- Never send or wire money to sellers or buyers. This includes mailing a cheque or using payment services like PayPal, Square Transactions, Online Jumble Sales, eTradeDepot, Gizmagdepot.com, Rent Monitor, Amazon Payments, Bidpay, Google Wallet/ Checkout, Canada Post, Western Union or Money Gram. While these sites can be very useful and secure, typically scammers are only pretending to use them and will even go so far as to falsify documents from a legitimate company.
- A lot of scammers will request that they communicate only by email. Don't fall for this, always talk to them on the phone before getting in too deep.
- Never give out your personal information. I had one yesterday looking for my email address, paypal account, paypal email, home address, home phone number, etc... and they would wire me the money and would get a shipper to pick up the AS, sight unseen! They will even go as far as asking for your bank information so they can send you the money. This screams fraud and don't fall for it!
- There is often a delay in answering your emails as they are somewhere else around the world and day may be night for them, just another potential flag.

- Most of all, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't true...

A couple of helpful links with information in addition to what I have written above:
- Tips for avoiding Cars and Vehicles Scams
- Tips for avoiding Reply Scams

Sorry for the long email on this! I have seen some very trusting people caught in these scams in the past and they have lost a lot of money. This is not their fault, all they did wrong was trust others to be good honourable people. Unfortunately, there are some people in this world who are not so honest...

Thanks!

Simon.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Can you help

We are currently looking into purchasing a 1961 airstream that is on the classifieds. The seller did join the same day I did : ). We have talked via phone several time and we did do a FaceTime walk through of the trailer but we are talking about doing some of the financials w paypal etc because we live very far away. I believe this is pretty legit but also want to be cautious. This is a hug amount of money for us.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jkfalkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkfalkner View Post
We are currently looking into purchasing a 1961 airstream that is on the classifieds. The seller did join the same day I did : ). We have talked via phone several time and we did do a FaceTime walk through of the trailer but we are talking about doing some of the financials w paypal etc because we live very far away. I believe this is pretty legit but also want to be cautious. This is a hug amount of money for us.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Try getting a volunteer inspector to check it out for you. There should be at least a couple in Southeast Florida that can at least verify the seller has the trailer and the title, and they match the photos and description.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We bought our first AS through E-bay using Paypal. After reading about some of these scams maybe we were just lucky. We were straightforward buyers and the seller was a straight shooter to and all went well. Good people are out there lets never forget that but at the same time do take precautions to insure your transaction is a good one. Someone once said " Trust but verify ". Good words to remember.

Night all. Happy Memorial Day. " Don't ever forget ".

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Guess airstream buyers are ripe for the picking

We have over the last few months tried to find the right a/s for us with little luck .many were false ads, shaky dealer , and downright fraud . The internet makes it both good and bad for the buyer. We will not buy until I can see the trailer in person ,with the owner handing me the title as I hook up the hitch !! But really , A much lusted for item like an airstream ,with people who have the means to purchase ,and well "some of us " a tad older are perfect targets for fraud .thanks to all on this forum that help to educate poor rookies like me
mazoolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
And of course, if you get responses through the Forums Classifieds that are scams, or if you see ads that you realize are scams or you become aware after receiving weird responses from the seller - LET US KNOW! Contact myself or any moderator, or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page. We will ban the spammer so they cannot attempt to scam other members and remove their ads.

Be careful, and stay safe!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
1983 Excella Scam

This is on Craigslist in San Antonio, probably in other cities as well:

1983 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA TRAVEL TRAILER - $2500 ( )
1983 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA TRAVEL TRAILER. Has no slides. Awning on front. Sleeps 6 - 7 depending on size. We have been the only owners and are non smoking. There are no dents nor scratches. Very good condition, and very clean.

This is the reply I got:

Sorry for the delay,

Thank you for your interest in my 1983 Airstream Excella 31ft, 4,950lbs, includes:5.5 Kw Onan Generator, clear title, sleeping capacity:4-5. Everything is in 100% good working condition. It is in perfect condition never smoked in, no pets, no damage, no leaks. I have all the documents and papers. At the moment I'm stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington but I was promoted and transferred to Fort Richardson in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, therefore I need a reliable buyer. The travel trailer will be delivered from Joint Base Lewis-McChord. The Logistic Department will deliver the travel trailer to your home. It is available for immediate delivery free of charge at your door, the shipping process takes 4 days. I'm looking for a quick sale, that's why the price has been reduced to $2,5OO to avoid wasting time with negotiations.

More photos here: 1983 Excella - Imgur

Have a nice day!
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
curbing ! one "dealer" we tried working with is curbing ,not signing the title ,so tax fraud !won't deal straight , he's on the east coast craigslist, but he is in Ca.,and air forum .
mazoolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post

1983 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA TRAVEL TRAILER. Has no slides. Awning on front.....
!

I am sure you have figured this out since you posted, but I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I am looking for a 27 Flying Cloud and found a nice one in Florida. I wrote to this person twice, the first time the add hit the classified. So far I have not received a response. I have decided to wait until I can physically get the AS I am interested in. This forum has confirmed that this is the best idea. Thanks for the ideas.
dorrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68 View Post

1983 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA TRAVEL TRAILER. Has no slides. Awning on front. Sleeps 6 - 7 depending on size. We have been the only owners and are non smoking. There are no dents nor scratches. Very good condition, and very clean.

This is the reply I got:

Sorry for the delay,

Thank you for your interest in my 1983 Airstream Excella 31ft, 4,950lbs, includes:5.5 Kw Onan Generator, clear title, sleeping capacity:4-5. Everything is in 100% good working condition. It is in perfect condition never smoked in, no pets, no damage, no leaks. I have all the documents and papers. At the moment I'm stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington but I was promoted and transferred to Fort Richardson in Anchorage Alaska for a 3 years period, therefore I need a reliable buyer. The travel trailer will be delivered from Joint Base Lewis-McChord. The Logistic Department will deliver the travel trailer to your home. It is available for immediate delivery free of charge at your door, the shipping process takes 4 days. I'm looking for a quick sale, that's why the price has been reduced to $2,5OO to avoid wasting time with negotiations.

More photos here: 1983 Excella - Imgur

Have a nice day!
I believe this I saw same ad on Ebay as I will not go to craigs list.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Brooklyn Park , Minnesota
Exclamation Fraudseter Still At It

The 1983 Excella 31' Classic fraudster is at it again on Craigslist.

Posting on Minneapolis Craigslist - 1983 Airstream Excella Classic Clear Title

Phone number is listed as 253-248-0561 (Washington) and email address is ssgtlf@gmail.com.

Thanks to everyone for posting about this guy!
KapMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #13

2008 19' International
Kihei , Hawaii
Just wanted to let everyone know the scammers are very active. Within hours of listing my trailer, they started texting me. Offering to buy at my listed price with a bank check! They also said they would send someone else to pick it up with in 2 days. That should be your first clue.
They are not likely to give you a real name or address. they will call on cell or from a borrowed phone.
So ( PLEASE ) do not let anyone take your trailer until the check has cleared the bank and that will that a least 14 days possibly longer. make sure you have confirmed with the bank that you have received the funds. and they can not be recalled by the check writer.
The crooks may offer you extra money to let them pickup early, because they need it right away. DON'T BELIEVE THAT!!!!!!!

Things you can do to protect yourself

1 You should google any phone # used to contact you and their email

2 You should ask buyer for their name address and a land line THEN GOOGLE THAT.

Just these simple precautions that take only a few moment can help stop you from making a costly mistake.

I hope this helps someone.

travel safe and beware the scammers

bikemaui
bikemaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Those are good suggestions, I will add one more. I went back and forth with one emailing thru Craigslist email relay (where your email address is protected) and I flat out asked "Is this a scam". Never heard back from them.

I tried the IP address lookup as suggested in the OP, I pulled up an email out of my spam folder supposedly from Chase. I found an IP address in the properties under "details" and it turned out to be in Jamaica.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Bank check

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaui View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know the scammers are very active. Within hours of listing my trailer, they started texting me. Offering to buy at my listed price with a bank check! They also said they would send someone else to pick it up with in 2 days. That should be your first clue.
They are not likely to give you a real name or address. they will call on cell or from a borrowed phone.
So ( PLEASE ) do not let anyone take your trailer until the check has cleared the bank and that will that a least 14 days possibly longer. make sure you have confirmed with the bank that you have received the funds. and they can not be recalled by the check writer.
The crooks may offer you extra money to let them pickup early, because they need it right away. DON'T BELIEVE THAT!!!!!!!

Things you can do to protect yourself

1 You should google any phone # used to contact you and their email

2 You should ask buyer for their name address and a land line THEN GOOGLE THAT.

Just these simple precautions that take only a few moment can help stop you from making a costly mistake.

I hope this helps someone.

travel safe and beware the scammers

bikemaui

A dear friend of mine is out $500 because of a Employment scam, she is a professional provider but was between jobs in the health industry. Had someone contact her with a great sounding "work at home" job doing the e medical; doctor on the other end of your computer type of job. She received a great Bank Check in the mail for a lot of money. The fraudster was in a big hurry for her to deposit the check, then go get Apple money cards at $100 each to send him the card info so he could send her the scanner and software all in a big hurry to get started with this job they needed her on. Lady is out of money and needing the job. Her banker says the BANK CHECK looks good. So she does 5 of the $100 cards; all done, then days later her banker says the BANK Check did come up as no good. So she was still out of job and out $500 more.

DON"T do anything until your bank tells you the BANK CHECK is good, not if the bank says "it looks good", Not until your bank actually clears the BANK CHECK from the other bank. We studied and studied the thing and couldn't figure out the angle, it didn't seem right but us professionals couldn't figure out how the thing was fraudulent, until the good looking Bank Check was found not good by the second bank. These guys are good at frauding even the professionals.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1989 25' Excella
1967 22' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Another Craigslist scam

The CL ad says it can be picked up in Victoria not far from San Antonio. I wrote to get the address knowing it was a scam at this price. So she asked for my email to send the details, this is what she sent:

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in Rare 1997 Airstream Safari Travel Trailer, Only 25 feet long. Very Original. Rear Bedroom with Full Size Bed, Large Wardrobe closets. Side bath with sink, toilet, and fiberglass shower. Galley kitchen features Range with hood, 2 way refrigerator, double sink, Microwave oven, lift up serving table shelf, and slide-out pantry. Has Deluxe Folding Lounge with Credenza. New 32" Hd Wifi Full 1080 Smart Flat Screen Tv. Working Stereo. Tank Monitoring System. Working Rooftop AC with heat strip. Fantastic Fan Roof Vent. Propane Furnace. Solid Flooring, original carpet (may be time to replace carpet or flooring to your preference). New Linens. Insulated vinyl ceilings. Electric works, Propane works, Full tanks, Water system has been winterized. Exterior is in very nice condition. A couple minor bumps on the skin. One main awning. Steps. Very minor clear coat peel. Tires are very good. All the brake and running lights are working. Electric Jack. Road Ready! Camp Ready! Has custom heavy duty multipurpose utility rack mounted at rear. Great for bikes, firewood, grills, coolers, scooters, almost anything! Rack itself measures 5 feet 1/2 inches by 22 1/2 inches. I have two sets of keys, and all the original owners manual and paperwork. Bid with confidence this is an amazing Airstream Trailer! I have been in business for several years and maintained 100% positive feedback. Very difficult to find an better, I’m currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Air National Guard Readiness Center (ANGRC), based at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland , I’m stationed on a military training facility. The Travel Trailer will be delivered from here, it is stored in a military compound.I have dropped my price to $2,000 (purchase price) including delivery and handling to your address, since this is an Urgent Sale, will be delivered free of charge through a military transportation service to a designated location of your choice, average delivery time is 3-5 business days, depending on destination. It has been reduced because I need to find a buyer before my next deployment take place and I don’t want to waste more time negotiating.
I will not negotiate the price.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the travel trailer, to be sure that I don’t waist my time with endless discussions.This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions .
If you want to continue the purchase,I will post it on eBay and I will send you the link where you can buy it very easy without an account or something hard. I have 876 feedback on eBay. You will pay on eBay and they will hold your payment until you receive and inspect the travel trailer. eBay will release the money to me ONLY with your approval.

If you are ready to buy it and you have the cash available, please reply with your zip code and phone number. I need to verify if I have free shipping in your area.

Thank you and God Bless!

Lt Jennifer Torres
Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
1684 Starkey Ave.
ANDREWS AFB, MD 20762
Green68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
While I was looking for buyer for my '05 25' I received all kinds of fancy-full offers.
1) Couple for 1/2 price cash with lots of religious reference and pandering to my softer side....sick family etc. Just a lead up to the "heist"
2) the old quick sale as "I am in the military and shipping out soon"
3) Nigerian gold scams and govt loot.
Crazy stuff and I did'ent hold back letting 'em know what would happen if I met them in a dark ally.

Now I have a fully rebuilt '65 26' for sale on these forums and CL and a new angle is popping up. There are a couple firms soliciting a "service" to sell it for me....Las Vegas, East Coast etc. They call and speak clearly but I know there must be an angle that would leave me in a contract I can't get out of .... they claim they put it Ebay motors "for me"....well heck....I can do that....

Any one know what their angle is??
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Of passing interest, just verified that the Lt Jennifer Torres supposedly at Andrews, does NOT exist in the DoD address book. Coincidence, I think not...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
She has an interesting rap sheet,
This one,
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member...qaq-p/25955776

I found 9 more complaints using different last names, same first name and address.
Scams include cars, trucks, food trailers, travel trailers and stolen valor.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
I have been very surprised at many suspect contacts. I took my trailer off classifieds because I did not want to mess with them. One guy told me don’t worry the trucking company will pick it up this weekend and then they will wire me the money. Of course, I said no. Another was quite a story about a British officer in the Middle East that said he had a scheme to make money off the AS and he would let me in on it. No! There were a number of honest inquiries too. Just part of the deal when selling an AS anything on the internet. I want serious buyers that come see the trailer in person and then make payment to my financial institution and then once cleared with title then pick up the trailer in person.
morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote