Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Flying Cloud 25 B (rear bed)

We are now spending 6 months a year in our Airstream. We have decided a 25' will be perfect for our lifestyle, ongoing travel but much longer stays at various locations. No kids, no pets, half-ton truck or maybe Touareg TDI can tow as well as be a reasonable daily driver.

The 25' models over the years are great Airstreams, midway between small and large. We have explored the new FC 25 B (rear queen bed) are found many things we like; bed in back, front dinette shaded by rock guards, both gas oven and conv micro, same kitchen space, larger bathroom. There is a sense of overall solid structure with the front door location, and it feels like home to us with living in front, bed in back.

The lounge is 14" shorter and the adjacent pair of windows is reduced to one.

Have found one with all the overpriced bells/whistles (awnings, solar, inverter, conv micro, blue ray, gold u/l) and are close to bringing it home, real close.

New setup for the very popular 25 footer, what do you think of this model?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You're spending 6 months a year in a 20? A total bow to you both! I am not worthy...

I've gotten impatient after 2-3 weeks before. We finished a month long trip to the northwest this August. I'm becoming more sanguine about these longer trips. I'm still inclined to have a destination and a series of moves. A 25' is working for us! I've never been partial to the sideways queen in 25-ers -- we have twins in our 25' FB. Gives a sense of a lot more space to move around in.

Were we to spend more time in ours, I might think of the 27' FB or 28' Internationals with their fore-and-aft queens. I've seen the 27' and -- WOW! Don't ask me why the 28' is an inch under 28'. Or why the 27' is 28' 0". It's gotta be their marketing sequence....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We have a 2006 25' Safari, with the rear bed, which is similiar layout to the rig you are looking at.

We really like the layout with the bed in the back, and have the L-lounge in the front which provides plenty of room to spread out.

We have been on several long trips and it works well for us. The bathroom in ours is a bit of a "knee knocker", but other than that...

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
We did 2 years in a 22'. If you really like each other you can do it. This time around we're in a 27', much more comfortable.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Since you asked, I prefer the front bedroom in the 25 ft. layout. Actually I think I would like the 27 even more but that was not the question. I just went through one of the trailers you mentioned . It is the FB that is switched around as you describe. I like the option of having a gas oven and a microwave and the slightly larger bathroom is also a nice change. I was a little confused about the lack of a mirror in the bathroom. I could get used to the small mirror that telescopes but it would take a little bit of time. I do like the magnifier though.

OK, we camp a lot at state and federal parks. With the "dining room" at the back we get to look out at the forest and lakes. If it were in the front we would be looking at the back of our truck. At night, we have the curtains closed so it doesn't matter to us what is out there. When I am sitting at the table, reading or sipping on a glass of wine, I enjoy the view out the back.

I don't know what you meant by.....

There is a sense of overall solid structure with the front door location

I have not heard of any loss of integrity with the FB models. Am I missing something?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rear bedroom model doesn't appear on Airstream.com website, but I gather they are not keeping it current day by day.. There is an aesthetic difference with front/rear bedroom, but not so much.. We own earlier similar version (front living - central kitchen/bath/shower - rear queen bed on side) in 25' Excella, and practical issues are need to set up and take down dining table (semi-permanent dinette a great option...) and fact that someone gets climbed over with bed on side and no walkway around it.. Also means good back muscles and disks needed to make it by leaning over it... Oher than that, it's great....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
For all of my raving about smaller trailers, a rainy 10 day trip last week convinced me a 25' is likely where it's at. Having a bedroom all off on its own, with always-made beds - it seems like a lovely dream.

I wish the 25B had the second side window in the lounge. That mass of windows is one of my favorite features of the 25FB and 23D. The bigger bathroom - and having a window in it - seems like a good compromise.

A curious question (with no thread-hijacking intended) - does a small gas grill fit in the outside storage compartments of any of these models? If we go to a SUV tow vehicle, we'd be giving up the minivan's cargo room...
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
A curious question (with no thread-hijacking intended) - does a small gas grill fit in the outside storage compartments of any of these models? If we go to a SUV tow vehicle, we'd be giving up the minivan's cargo room...
Threadjacking has occurred!!!

We love our Weber Q 220. We store it under the dinette table when traveling. We also have the portable rolling cart that brings the grill to table height, an adapter to connect it to our propane tanks, and a vinyl cover.

It is on the pricey side, and heavy as the grates and the optional griddle are cast iron.

The gas is infinitely adjustable -- and cooking on high and (very) low heat is excellent. There are also disposable grease trays (or you can line the tray with foil).

All around an excellent grill that should last for years.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Our first S.O.B. trailer was a front bed. Now we have an 05 28' Safari with a rear queen. I never saw any real advantage of the front bed and now that we have a rear bed model, we see many advantages to the rear bed. Mostly, we enjoy a quieter bedroom for sleeping at campgrounds, preferring to park in sites that we have to back into against a woods. And we love the queen preferring it to the twins. The 28 is actually only 2' longer than a 25 and only about 400# heavier. So, you might consider it. The 25 is a really nice size, however, all things considered.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks to all on their experience with the 25's, an Airstream favorite. I admire the qualities of the larger models; we compared most of them side-by-side, all had very good floor plans, the FC 25 B felt like a match for our lifestyle. We could travel happily in any of them.

The 25 FB has a more bit larger living area, but as we age I think the larger bath is practical. I have wondered about the many openings and weight (door, side windows, panos) in the rear cantilever of the FB but the engineering is obviously very sound. So it comes down to what feels right, front or back bed.

Bob, the past two winters with the terrific 20 floorplan actually went very well, especially considering we traveled the previous winter in a VW camper van (our fourth over 35 years). I have learned you will adapt to the space you have. After reasonable kitchen, dining, lounge, bed and bath it's pretty much all about family, pets, and storage. The new 25 rear bed will have twin bed option soon and it does make a better space, but how would we keep warm at night?

doug k
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We looked again at the FC 25 B (rear bed) with the above points in mind. Has a nice feel to it, perhaps no exceptional areas but no obvious shortcomings either. A nice balance of size, utility, and comfort. (Isn't this what all Airstreams do best?) Unlike our 20' it can be altered to twin beds or recliner seating as we age if we need them, but still have the relatively compact size.

Looks like we'll be getting it in a couple days. This is a new model for 2012. Anyone see any glaring errors in the design?

We pull our 20' (single axle) with a 4.7 Tundra and Equal-I-Zer hitch. With correct hitch adjustments and XL tires it is stable and comfortable, maybe slower on grades than some but don't see that as a problem (retired and never in a hurry). Will the 25' be as stable on the road? Propride?

doug k
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Have found one with all the overpriced bells/whistles (awnings, solar, inverter, conv micro, blue ray, gold u/l) and are close to bringing it home, real close.

New setup for the very popular 25 footer, what do you think of this model?

doug k
Hi Doug,

While we haven't seen one in person yet, the wife and I like the layout of the new FC 25B at least on paper and the few pictures that we've seen on the internet. We are waiting for our local dealer to get one in to go take a look at it.

A newbie question however, what is the "gold u/l" that you reference in your bells an whistles?

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Doug, nothing to offer but congratulations on the new trailer. (OK, one thing to offer - make sure there aren't hidden systems under the lounge or dinette or whereever else you'd modify to fit a recliner or two.)

Tom
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rion, the 25' A/B has a larger bath at the expense of 14" of side lounge and one of the adjoining side windows. Other than that it is essentially a reversal of the 25' FB, with some things in the middle shuffled around. Comes down to preference for bed and dinette location, and a larger bath (identical to the 30' bath). The "gold u/l" is a light gold color vinyl on the seats that is very soft and comfortable. The color matches beautifully with the Flying Cloud interior.

Thanks Tom. If we and the trailer become a bit worn with age, these models with both front and rear pano windows offer some interesting possibilities for reconfiguring as needed. Twin beds or recliner conversions should be reasonable as the systems components are grouped near the axles.

doug k
Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Doug,
Thank you for the info! I have only seen the 25B online and your information makes it even more interesting. I think that it may be time for a road trip to a dealer that has one to check it out.

Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Anyone from Airstream still reading the Forums? Can they explain why the official Airstream.com website still hasn't been updated ot show any of the 2012 models.. (including the FC 25 A/B..) Had to go to Colonial's Website (spectacular...) to see floorplan, photo's of In stock unit, and description... Sigh...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Doug, we have had our 25FB for almost a year. Although we have not lived in it long term, we stayed in a previous TT for three months. As you say, you adapt to the space you have and we look at it with the 25FB we would never be homeless. As far as FB or RB, it would make no difference as far as we would be concerned. Ours is a 2011 so it's FB only and other than photos, we have not looked at a rear bed although we would have considered a RB had it been available. We live in Florida so we stay away from vinyl, leather or anything that isn't cloth because of the body heat and potential to stick to our legs. If you like what you are seeing, I believe you will be thrilled with a 25. Our previous was a 22 Sport and we like the significant additional room of a 25. It is easy to tow with our 5.3L 05 Silverado and other than mountains, we can tow in regular drive. I believe you will love the 25. Congratulations on your final choice.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Not to be argumentative - we have Ultraleather on the (recovered) dinette cushions in the Argosy. We've been very, very happy with the material in terms of comfort and wipe-off-ability. True - I'm not sure I'd want to stack it up against Florida in the summer though, but we've been happy all 3-seasons here in the Northeast with it.

Tom
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We have leather in our Tow Vehicle and every photo I've seen of the Ultraleather in an A/S has been beautiful. It is probably much easier to clean than fabric and my comment is a personal preference. For some reason my legs like to stick to the leather in the truck seats and I know I would have the same experience with it in an A/S. We're going to NC late December camping and I'll probably wish I had the Ultraleather.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Brought home the new FC 25 B last night. Looks like it has everything we need, at least a little more of everything the Safari 20 SE had.

I didn't think a trailer could feel better on the road than our Safari but this one feels more stable. They are both easy to tow.

As for choosing the 25 B rather than 25 FB, not much difference. Personal preference of a lot of little things, entry toward front, larger bath, converter under lounge, dinette protected by sunshield, both gas oven and conv/microwave. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

The awning pkg, solar, inverter, ultra leather options are way overpriced but are nicely integrated into the trailer at the factory, and there is room for price negotiation. They make a more comfortable and usable camper and ought to the considered for the relative cost.

My Norwegian roots require me to keep my excitement to myself, but the Irish wife is really happy with the new rig. Heading to Southwest in few weeks, maybe can post photos in that environment. We moved the Airstream away while the soybean fields next door get combined (you don't know dust if you haven't seen that operation).

doug k