Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Fire The Salesman?

Hi,

I was all set to pull the trigger on a brand new 2019 22FB but the past 2 days salesman's attitude has put a lump in my gut.

He knows NOTHING about the coach. He points at things and does not sell them. Lots of shrugs of the shoulder and condescending looks like I'm an idiot for asking what tires it comes with. He looks at them like he's never seen a tire before!

He literally acted like I should cut a check 1 minute after looking at it!

Past 2 days have been a series of short emails that aren't even signed. Yesterday I went in with what I discovered insurance wise (He was saying $10/mo; cheapest I've found is $70 and $90 more common I have an excellent record!). I emailed today if he was working and where we stand and he said FO has "the numbers" I asked "what numbers?" and have not heard back! We haven't struck a deal and he's sent to FO!

It's just at the frustration level but now seriously doubting I want to follow through.

Ever fire your salesman and go to the sales manager to finalize the deal? I hate to wreck his day but he's not doing his job! Their web site has a Labor Day Promotion no payments till December and I called him about that... clueless. I was ready to cut a check then and there as that would solve my high storage fee issues... and on and on and on....

This should be fun.. he has definitely ruined that for me....

Thanks!

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
It is your money, you are the customer. Your relationship with this person will never improve. Time to find a new sales person, or move on to a different dealership!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I drove 700 miles to get the correct dealer, sales and support staff. It is your money and time. You have to decide how valuable it is. From what you have described, I would walk.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
This salesperson is an indication of how the rest of the business is probably conducted.

Follow your first instincts. Find another dealership or else your frustration level will go even more ballistic.
Heaven forbid you’d have to take your AS back there for servicing...[emoji15]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
It is your money, you are the customer. Your relationship with this person will never improve. Time to find a new sales person, or move on to a different dealership!
Well the FO called with the "numbers" and I'm approved at just a little above what I wanted so still gonna hammer for that.

The FO had a MUCH greater handle on things and took the time to explain even PDI and the process.

How often does one deal with the salesman post sale anyway? Even if a warranty issue I'd have a different point man... right?

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
(I'd love to fire most sales droids, but unfortunately I would need a much bigger bore cannon and a bigger powder charge than the ones I've got currently...)

I agree, if the salesman is that incompetent, I'd expect little of the rest of the dealership...go with your gut!

Post sale, It's my experience that generally the salesman probably does not even work there anymore, and will be no help even if they are still hanging around. I usually let my DW do the negotiating, and the sales droid gets ignored by her--they have absolutely no authority anyway, so she haggles with the sales manager directly. It's something to see, as so far, she has won the deal her way every time over the past 47 years that we've been married. She goes in fully researched, has a price in mind, and it's up to the dealer to beat it--without knowing what she will actually go for. And she will and has walked out if it did not work right...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Well the FO called with the "numbers" and I'm approved at just a little above what I wanted so still gonna hammer for that.

The FO had a MUCH greater handle on things and took the time to explain even PDI and the process.

How often does one deal with the salesman post sale anyway? Even if a warranty issue I'd have a different point man... right?

Thanks,

R44

I wouldn’t take that chance...[emoji43]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
You likely already have, but look at online reviews of dealer. If generally, most are favorable regarding the buying experience, and more importantly, the service experiences, it may be that you just got stuck with the bad apple. If reviews primarily negative, then your salesman is likely a good representation of the dealer and worth at least looking elsewhere. Our salesperson was very nice, but not necessarily an expert on everything Airstream. If I was unsure of something, I could usually do my own research to find the answer. I mainly just needed him to get me the price I was willing to pay. Our person who handled all the paperwork and tries to sell you on all the other stuff was sort of a jerk, but I am good at saying no and we knew we only had to put up with him for an hour, then never again. Our service team is good, and that carries more weight. You are the customer. If you like the dealer, but not the salesperson, don't feel bad about asking to work with someone else.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
OK,

It's weird because if the product is right and the price is right and it checks out... who cares about the salesman?

As of now I don't deal with him any more...(right?). It's the FO and a service tech. So I do feel a little better about that.

Knotted gut is gone and feeling excited but still waiting and seeing.

As for reviews those are tricky as you really have to figure complainers rule! I looked at reviews and most negative are petty IMO. A couple concerning ones but mostly whining about unassociated peripherals or prices.. so difficult to get a handle that way!

Again the FO was an ace and spent quite a bit of time explaining everything in detail and what to expect and options. Very forthcoming and patient with me and addressed my concerns with seriousness.

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
FO?
Wouldn't the DP be a better option?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Back in my earlier life, I was in sales. There is no excuse for an incompetent salesman. What if he promises you something he can't deliver and in the end, the sales manager says he made a mistake. We can't do that. And then you agree out of frustration. You lose.

I would have a talk with the sales manager and tell him you cannot work with someone who does not care and does not know the product. That sounds harsh, but the manager will understand and probably tell you he is leaving the dealership the next meeting he has with him.

My salesman gave me his personal cell phone number and said "Call anytime, 24 hours a day. I got your back on this one". I did call him soon after when our black tank cleared us out of the trailer! It was 10:30 at night and he was as helpful as can be.

I'm going all the way to Florida to buy a second terailer off of him.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
I bought my Airstream in July from a dealership that was sold. With the screwed-up-Inness of the transition, I could not get through to the service department to set up an appointment to correct some minor warrenty work. The salesman was my contact with the service department.

As I stated before, it’s your money, if you are comfortable; be happy.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Yea...

It's just the alternatives put the entire endeavor in doubt. Next closest 100 miles and can't get within $2000 of the price.

500 miles away same story and no guarantee it wont be worse!

Taking time off work starts to creep into equation coupled with an immediate long haul with a trailer I've never towed...

I guess people gotta work but since I was 20 I never even applied to job where it wasn't something I was going to go full bore at! I think it would be pretty cool to work at this out fit! Selling Airstreams?! I'd know every nook and cranny.

I can't understand showing up to a job and not giving it 110%. Kinda par for the course for local auto and now RV dealers....

I probably wont be within a 1000 miles of this dealer soon so having to rely upon him a remote possibility..

But still it needs to be FUN! They need to counter balance the stress of the situation. I don't mid being pushed over a cliff but at least point out some of the cool stuff I'll see on the way down; tell me it's a ride!

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
But still it needs to be FUN! They need to counter balance the stress of the situation. I don't mid being pushed over a cliff but at least point out some of the cool stuff I'll see on the way down; tell me it's a ride!

Thanks,

R44[/QUOTE]

Yes, anyone that encroaches on the fun factor should be off the list!! This SHOULD be a fun experience for you. At least this has happened BEFORE the sale. Run, don't walk to a dealer you have some faith in!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
OK,

It's weird because if the product is right and the price is right and it checks out... who cares about the salesman?

As of now I don't deal with him any more...(right?). It's the FO and a service tech. So I do feel a little better about that.

Knotted gut is gone and feeling excited but still waiting and seeing.

As for reviews those are tricky as you really have to figure complainers rule! I looked at reviews and most negative are petty IMO. A couple concerning ones but mostly whining about unassociated peripherals or prices.. so difficult to get a handle that way!

Again the FO was an ace and spent quite a bit of time explaining everything in detail and what to expect and options. Very forthcoming and patient with me and addressed my concerns with seriousness.

Thanks,

R44
Hi, you should; The salesman who started this ball rolling with you will still get his commission check for the sale. That's basically all some sales people do is to get you hooked and let someone else finish the deal.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Doesn't sound like he diserves it!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, you should; The salesman who started this ball rolling with you will still get his commission check for the sale. That's basically all some sales people do is to get you hooked and let someone else finish the deal.
Oddly he didn't get me hooked! You guys did! And myself researching.

So.....

Do I want to make a point and give another dealer $1-2000 for the same coach?

And make life much more difficult for myself?

Unfortunate but now he's not even communicating; FO is acting as go between and got the deal I wanted from the sales manager!

I guess as long as I got one guy who is on my side I should be ok....

Have a Saturday PDI scheduled so will mull it over between now and then...

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
R44,

We bought our first Airstream about three weeks ago in Tucson. My experience wasn’t as bad as yours but I was so frustrated I started a thread on the shortcomings of the sales and orientation staff. Seems like you’ve got a competent sales “liaison” in the FO and a relationship from a competent service rep. I say go for it. Get your trailer and go out and enjoy it. Your buying experience will soon be part of your past.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Fire the sales manager also. It his job to train the sales people This is an example where the ssss runs uphill. The sales manager has done the salesperson an injustice.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Salesmen are flawed individuals with a job,,,,, just like the rest of us...... more or less..... #Justsayin

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote