Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
OK,

It's weird because if the product is right and the price is right and it checks out... who cares about the salesman?

As of now I don't deal with him any more...(right?). It's the FO and a service tech. So I do feel a little better about that.

Knotted gut is gone and feeling excited but still waiting and seeing.

As for reviews those are tricky as you really have to figure complainers rule! I looked at reviews and most negative are petty IMO. A couple concerning ones but mostly whining about unassociated peripherals or prices.. so difficult to get a handle that way!

Again the FO was an ace and spent quite a bit of time explaining everything in detail and what to expect and options. Very forthcoming and patient with me and addressed my concerns with seriousness.

Thanks,

R44
Hi, you should; The salesman who started this ball rolling with you will still get his commission check for the sale. That's basically all some sales people do is to get you hooked and let someone else finish the deal.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Doesn't sound like he diserves it!

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, you should; The salesman who started this ball rolling with you will still get his commission check for the sale. That's basically all some sales people do is to get you hooked and let someone else finish the deal.
Oddly he didn't get me hooked! You guys did! And myself researching.

So.....

Do I want to make a point and give another dealer $1-2000 for the same coach?

And make life much more difficult for myself?

Unfortunate but now he's not even communicating; FO is acting as go between and got the deal I wanted from the sales manager!

I guess as long as I got one guy who is on my side I should be ok....

Have a Saturday PDI scheduled so will mull it over between now and then...

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
R44,

We bought our first Airstream about three weeks ago in Tucson. My experience wasn’t as bad as yours but I was so frustrated I started a thread on the shortcomings of the sales and orientation staff. Seems like you’ve got a competent sales “liaison” in the FO and a relationship from a competent service rep. I say go for it. Get your trailer and go out and enjoy it. Your buying experience will soon be part of your past.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Fire the sales manager also. It his job to train the sales people This is an example where the ssss runs uphill. The sales manager has done the salesperson an injustice.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Salesmen are flawed individuals with a job,,,,, just like the rest of us...... more or less..... #Justsayin

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:27 AM   #21

2017 16' Sport
Kingwood , Texas
Purchased my Sport 16 in January 2016 from a great agency. Had a good feeling from the beginning; salesman and service. After a very frustrating service experience in current hometown, I drive 250 miles back to original agency for service and warranty work. Always attentive & patient with my ignorance.
casluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Back in my earlier life, I was in sales. There is no excuse for an incompetent salesman. What if he promises you something he can't deliver and in the end, the sales manager says he made a mistake. We can't do that. And then you agree out of frustration. You lose.

I would have a talk with the sales manager and tell him you cannot work with someone who does not care and does not know the product. That sounds harsh, but the manager will understand and probably tell you he is leaving the dealership the next meeting he has with him.

My salesman gave me his personal cell phone number and said "Call anytime, 24 hours a day. I got your back on this one". I did call him soon after when our black tank cleared us out of the trailer! It was 10:30 at night and he was as helpful as can be.

I'm going all the way to Florida to buy a second terailer off of him.
I'm always interested in hearing about good dealers/salespeople. Which dealer was this? You can PM me if you don't want to give a public recommendation.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Salesmen are flawed individuals with a job,,,,, just like the rest of us...... more or less..... #Justsayin
Yep....

I try to have some compassion for him. Bad day bad week. Who knows what personal issues they face. Life can throw us curve balls that make us distracted at best.

But now I almost feel sorry for the guy and if I pull out now he'll hear about it.

Sometimes I guess we don't help. First threads I saw here were about stand hard for 20% discount so these guys are on the defensive from the git go.

The whole game puts guys like me at a disadvantage. I did my financial homework and have a hard number. Of course when you reveal that they get close to it to tantalize you for a few $$$ more "It's only $20/mo more!" (which equals ~$3500 over the course of the loan). Then I get weak.....

I think the bottom line for a salesman of this type of purchase they have to sell FUN! We can go on without an AS and be fine so we need to be convinced this will be THE funnest decision you've ever made! Make it a $$ and ¢¢¢ deal and doubt creeps in....

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I'm always interested in hearing about good dealers/salespeople. Which dealer was this? You can PM me if you don't want to give a public recommendation.

Thanks!
I don't mind as long as it's OK with the forum. My salesman is Bruce "tall guy" Miller. We originally bought from him at Haydoucey in Columbus Ohio. He has since moved on to warmer climates and now is a North Trail RV/ Airstream of South Florida.

I have not had the experience yet with North trails other than dealing with Bruce. We've become good friends and the reason for traveling from Ohio to Florida to purchase the Classic.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I choose my dealer based on the feeling I got from the sales people.
Keep in mind, their job is to separate you from as much $$$ as they can. Their second job is to have good numbers of units sold.
The dealer may represent 10 different brands of RV's so I don't expect the sales guy to know everything. When I bought my "new" 2017 it had GY Marathon tires. I negotiated a swap to GY Endurance, which they just took off a newer unit. Somewhere there's a 2018 with Marathons. Sorry. He told me, "Nobody cares about tires except you. If the Marathons have problems it's because they're under inflated." But I prevailed.

In the end, I liked the dealership, but I was surprised at how basic their knowledge of the product was.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
I noticed the MSRP was higher so dug up the spec sheet the salesman gave me!

I attached a copy... can you read this?

...sigh.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	specs.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	321700  
Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Hi,

I was all set to pull the trigger on a brand new 2019 22FB but the past 2 days salesman's attitude has put a lump in my gut.

He knows NOTHING about the coach. He points at things and does not sell them. Lots of shrugs of the shoulder and condescending looks like I'm an idiot for asking what tires it comes with. He looks at them like he's never seen a tire before!

He literally acted like I should cut a check 1 minute after looking at it!

Past 2 days have been a series of short emails that aren't even signed. Yesterday I went in with what I discovered insurance wise (He was saying $10/mo; cheapest I've found is $70 and $90 more common I have an excellent record!). I emailed today if he was working and where we stand and he said FO has "the numbers" I asked "what numbers?" and have not heard back! We haven't struck a deal and he's sent to FO!

It's just at the frustration level but now seriously doubting I want to follow through.

Ever fire your salesman and go to the sales manager to finalize the deal? I hate to wreck his day but he's not doing his job! Their web site has a Labor Day Promotion no payments till December and I called him about that... clueless. I was ready to cut a check then and there as that would solve my high storage fee issues... and on and on and on....

This should be fun.. he has definitely ruined that for me....

Thanks!

R44
Hi Rounder44,*

We're very sorry to hear this. If there is anything that we can assist with, please feel free to private message us or contact Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #28
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Looks like a 22fb MSRP is $57,734. Found three ads on the internet that reflect this.