Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Extended Warranty

Hi, Don't purchase an extended warranty for a trailer. For a car, truck, or motorhome with engines, transmissions, and differentials, you might [key word "might"] get your moneys worth. But in a trailer, what do you have left? Do you have extended warranties for your kitchen and bathroom at home? And I'm sure your house hold appliances get alot more use than the ones in your trailer.
As a shop foreman at a Ford dealer, I have personally delt with aftermarket warranty companies. You miss one oil change or don't have proof [documention] showing that you have done all of your maintenence, they will deny your claim. They also try to dictate what parts [sometimes used or junk yard] and what labor rate they pay. They also require that you authorize and pay for tear down and inspection first; Then when they deny the claim, you're stuck with a disassembled Engine, trans., A/C, Etc. and a nice bill to go with it.
If the extended warranty was offered from the manufacture, I might consider it. No matter who offers these warranties, it's big bucks for the seller as well as the company writeing these policies.

ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
For a car, truck, or motorhome with engines, transmissions, and differentials, you might [key word "might"] get your moneys worth.
When purchasing my previous Dodge p/u,the salesman offered an extended warranty for $1400.00 ,I declined. Before all the paperwork was completed,he had reduced the price to $875.00 for the same warranty,I still declined.

Curious, I asked a friend who is a car salesman about the price reduction for the same warranty, he told me that dealers will mark-up the price to whatever they think they can get away with. Pure $ PROFIT $ in their pockets.

S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
For the record, I passed on the extended warranty on the day we picked up our new Airstream. I'm hoping that if anything is defective, it would reveal itself within the 2-year factory warranty.

classic67 is offline   Reply With Quote