Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Extended warrantee

Hi all,
I replaced my Domatic refrigerator 2 years back and am now getting offers to extend the warrantee 3 more years' full parts and labor for $229.

What is your take on extending the warrantee for this specific appliance?

Thanks all,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

If something goes wrong with your refrigerator repairs are expensive.

I would go for the extended warranty.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Michael -- Without referring to the basic warranty on my '06 Safari's fridge I can easily say the following. Extended warranties are a big money maker for corporations from Best Buy to Sears to Ford to GM ... and now it looks like Dometic. I agree that fridge replacement is almost the most expensive single replacement item, yet it would seem that your 2 years has been enough time to show you that the basics of the design and engineering have held up; ie, there are no large faults with your unit. There are no guarantees in life and most people eventually will experience failures ... but 15, 20, or 25 years down the road. My approach and that of Consumer Reports and many other sources I trust is this -- don't pay the $229 for 3 years. Self-insure in the following fashion. Don't spend for extended warranties. Instead mentally add up costs they might propose in years 3-4-5 ($229) and 6-7-8 and on and on. Long after the major corporation has skimmed the cream off what should be the most successful years of your product and then dropped you like the hot potato (by no longer offering their "bargain" extended warranty), you can trust you'll spend less in the long run on a majority of products you buy by ignoring their offers. The big "but" is always that one product might fail early, but the exception doesn't prove the rule. You will spend less in the long run by not contributing to their profitable bottom line.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I fully agree with Canoe Stream....self insure is the way to go....especially in this situation with a product that has a potentially long life without major repair.

Except in the situation where the cost of repair or replacement is extraordinary expensive and the cost of the warranty is less than 10% of the anticipated expense of replacement. Also, the warranty is only as good as the warranty company, investigate the companies reputation and it's claims record.

Of course I am offering my opinion and my general rules of warranty purchase as my guideline, it is usually a personal preference.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote