Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Longmont , Colorado
experience with Bambis??

Hi,

First thanks for all the information and support from the people in this forum, you're great!

I'm looking for honest opinions and experience the the newer 16' and 19' Bambi's. I would really like the DWR 16'. I am limited on what I can tow with my Jeep liberty.

Thanks!
Neenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
As long as your comfortable in the bed and have enough room in the Water closet. You'll be fine.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
I absolutely LOVE my 16 footer.
I've been camping with it constantly for almost three years.
And I tow it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Technically mine sleeps 4 but they would have to be very close friends!
The storage is excellent...I haven't even filled all of the cabinets yet.

I like being able to make a U-turn in the middle of the street and the ease of being able to pull over and park almost anywhere.

Go to the RV Dealer and sit in a few and imagine how you would use them.
It really depends on how many people and pets you will be camping with.

You will probably get as many answers and preferences as there are Airstreams.
Everyone has different needs.

Good luck in your search.
Whatever you choose, you'll love it.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
DWR Video

Hello,

I made a video for the DWR so you can see it in action.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
With a Liberty, the 16' is the way to go.

BTW, nice video Patrick.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Thank you Silvertwinkie.

I have posted this before but this page may also be helpful when looking at various newer Bambi models.

Colonial Airstream - Evolution of the Airstream Bambi Travel Trailer 1998- 2009
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Bambi and Thumper

Bond, James Bond

That's Bambi on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banbi_thumper.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	70125  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We have a 2006 Bambi Quick Silver and love it. The two of us and three dogs present no problem. We just completed a month in the Northwest and did 5 weeks last fall touring the Northeast. Plus a three week trip to Savannah, Ga this past spring. Also, many 3day to week and half trips in between. We did return to Jackson Center to upgrade the axles (to 1430lb and wheels to 15" load range D). I believe the DRW comes with the upgrade. We have had very few problems and those were taken care of by our dealer in Albuquerque, NM. I agree with BamCamper on the ability to go most anywhere and turn and park in small places. Good luck and great traveling.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We love the 19' Bambi...we travel with 2 medium dogs who share the bed with us (cozy, but possible)...and we seem to all survive each other pretty well. The longest stint we've made is 14 days, and we were not ready to call it a trip...we could have gone longer! the 19' may be a little much for the Jeep Liberty. We have friends who have a 16' and love it as well...it all depends on how you use it and how much "stuff" and people are involved in your travel.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Charlottesville , Virginia
Bought a Bambi 19 last May. Went up to Colonial Airstream in New Jersey and checked out just about every AS unit made. They had 60 or 70 of them there to look at. The 16 was very tempting... compact, well made etc. but... we opted for the 19 for the following reasons: 1) separate loo and shower (very nice) 2) bedroom area lavatory, and 3) an oven. If I remember correctly, the 16 did not have an oven...I think the space below the sink was home to the smaller fridge.... (4) large fridge.
I live in my 19 for two five day runs per month, year round (for work) and so am really putting it through the paces. Have recently added a slide-in/out extension to the kitchen counter, a system for replenishing the on-board water tank from my tow vehicle, and am now addressing the 5 day (off the grid) power problem.
Haven't had this much fun in years.
Cheers
Jim G.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
...>snip<... Have recently added a slide-in/out extension to the kitchen counter....>snip<....am now addressing the 5 day (off the grid) power problem.
Jim G.
Hmmm. More counter space would be wonderful...can you share how did you did this? (If you want to post elsewhere as to not hijack this thread, please PM me as to where you posted? Thx...)

Re off the grid power: If you're in sunny weather look into solar... If not, it looks like it might be generator time!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Bambi Safari 19'

My wife and I grabbed a 19', our first AS and our first travel trailer. We travel with two rather large dogs. We do pretty well. In retrospect, which is always crystal clear, we'd opt for a 23' with a walk around bed a a bit more kitchen space. But all in all we're pretty darn comfy.

Enjoy!!
bbherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
Thumbs up

We just LOVE our 2008 19" Bambi. This is our first trailer of any kind. We take her out monthly, usually 3 days at a time. Luckily we live in South Florida and in an hour we can be in the keys! This past spring and summer, my husband and I with the 2 kids were on holiday for 11 days straight each time. Had no issues with the space. The layout is fantastic. Somehow it never feels cramped. (Must be the Vista View Windows!) Also it’s amazing how well everyone can get along and work together when you have to.

Our TV is a 2004 Ford Expedition, which we purchased to make sure we had no issues towing. (So glad to see the price of gas finally starting to go down!) We felt our other truck may not do as well. The staff at Bates RV did a fantastic job setting up the break assist and sway bars. It’s almost like your not towing anything at all. We do live in Florida, and have not encountered any large hills/mountains. But we did have to go over the TampaSunshineSkywayBridge. It’s the world's longest cable-stayed concrete bridge at 8.1-mile long at 191’ high. We did very well, storm, winds and all.

We chose the 19” for the separate toilet and shower. And the bedroom area vanity is so convenient! I’ve gotten very good at making the bed. I sleep next to the wall and it’s no issue. I only wish the sink was a little wider and a touch more counter space would be nice. We have a small fold away table we take in and out of the close it needed. But work well between the stove area and the dinette.

I know you’ll enjoy. It’s amazing the amount of attention these little guys cause.
MamaTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Hello,

I made a video for the DWR so you can see it in action.

Great Video Patrick....but

Tea-House of The August Moon Music

Johnny Cash.."I've Been Everywhere Man"