Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Omaha , Nebraska
Smile Dream Modification / Configuration for IS

Really like the layout on 30’ International Serenity RBT. However, I don’t want anything over25’ and get the upgraded new features like ducted air. Any possibility of ordering a 25’ with a front sofa bed across the front instead of a dinette bed from factory? I’ve have alternate plans for table and want the space. I wouldn’t consider this to be a custom modification. If modification is doable, is the premium over stock sale price likely unreasonable? Would stock trailer and purchase of AS sofa be the only option? Appreciate thoughts or AS listening.
Thanks!
beetle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
With the 25' you will want to get the rear bed model, so that you can have the dinette removed without a need to relocate the furnace. It's not hard to remove the dinette, and some people do that and put in two recliners, or a small couch like you mentioned. I don't believe you can order it that way, but it's not a hard modification.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle5 View Post
Really like the layout on 30’ International Serenity RBT. However, I don’t want anything over25’ and get the upgraded new features like ducted air. Any possibility of ordering a 25’ with a front sofa bed across the front instead of a dinette bed from factory? I’ve have alternate plans for table and want the space. I wouldn’t consider this to be a custom modification. If modification is doable, is the premium over stock sale price unreasonable.
Thanks!
Not likely from the Factory. They used to offer a 25' model with an L-shape couch, like in the 28' and 30' models, but the bed in that 25' was only 48" wide...very uncomfortable to sleep with 2 and also a pain to make up...bath was small also...

Ultimate Airstreams does do many custom upgrades, however. There is a Grand Lounge model they do, which is pretty nice. In fact there is one for sale Bay Area Airstream Adventures in Fairfield CA right now I believe.. Anyway, check out this video and also their website/catalog for ideas.

Check out their catalog also...
http://ultimateairstream.com/
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Omaha , Nebraska
Opt out option?

Thanks S/L. Will AS allow you to opt out of a dinette? And order a front sofa separately? It seems all AS dealers in my area are custom orders. Opting out would be simpler and get me what l’m looking for.
beetle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle5 View Post
Really like the layout on 30’ International Serenity RBT. However, I don’t want anything over25’ and get the upgraded new features like ducted air. Any possibility of ordering a 25’ with a front sofa bed across the front instead of a dinette bed from factory? I’ve have alternate plans for table and want the space. I wouldn’t consider this to be a custom modification. If modification is doable, is the premium over stock sale price likely unreasonable? Would stock trailer and purchase of AS sofa be the only option? Appreciate thoughts or AS listening.
Thanks!
What you want is a 2007-2009 International 25'SS (six sleeper). It has the condensed floor plan you are looking for from the 30 (couch + dinette + separate bed). We had one but sold it a couple years ago (see attached). We moved up to the 30' Serenity RBQ for more space after 8 years with the 25'. We love the 30' BTW...

Attached is the sales brochure we built to sell our 25'SS. It's an awesome floor plan, Airstream should consider bringing it back - but I guess most people want a queen bed in the 25' vs the rear corner bed in the 25'SS.

Our 25' was heavily modified around the base floorpan:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...al-106742.html

When we bought the 30', we modified it too

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html

One other option is to buy the 25' and hit up a custom shop like timeless travel trailers here in Denver. They can do whatever you want to re-configure the interior, at a cost. If you want something to look like it came from the factory, but with reconfigured exactly how you want it (couch / dinette / etc...) you are probably looking at $15k - $30k for the modifications if you want a professional outfitter to do the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb98632366c7d2ff324bc439808562cd.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	332510  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream International 25SS For Sale.pdf (10.46 MB, 53 views)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
What you want is a 2007-2009 International 25'SS (six sleeper). It has the condensed floor plan you are looking for from the 30 (couch + dinette + separate bed). We had one but sold it a couple years ago (see attached). We moved up to the 30' Serenity RBQ for more space after 8 years with the 25'. We love the 30' BTW...

Attached is the sales brochure we built to sell our 25'SS. It's an awesome floor plan, Airstream should consider bringing it back - but I guess most people want a queen bed in the 25' vs the rear corner bed in the 25'SS.

One other option is to buy the 25' and hit up a custom shop like timeless travel trailers here in Denver. They can do whatever you want to re-configure the interior, at a cost. If you want something to look like it came from the factory, but with reconfigured exactly how you want it (couch / dinette / etc...) you are probably looking at $15k - $30k for the modifications if you want a professional outfitter to do the work.
Actually as I pointed out in post #3 above, we also owned this same layout in our first AS; a 2006, Safari 25' Special Edition Anniversary model...It also had a microwave and an oven which was nice. As I mentioned the layout was great on paper and perhaps for some smaller folks. Bed and bathroom were our biggest issues...we love the 25' size so much, we went on to get two more befofe moving up to a 28'; a 2008 25' FC twin model and then a new 2012 25' FC twin model. Only complaints from us on the newer model 25's and 27's is the dinning/lounge the OP is trying to also replace-- with a couch or lounge chairs. My suggestion would be to purchase a used newer model and take it to one of the custom AS shops like Ultimate Airstreams, mentioned above...they are expensive, but you can get what you want. In my earlier post, they show a bank of 6 drawers but you can also get it customized with a wine cooler or desk or cloths washer or dishwasher if you don't want all the drawers...just saying, lots of options...

Truth be told the, L-Couch from AS is not very comfortable after sitting on it for awhile...the cushions are not dense enough and also it is not deep enough to support your knees. When we are entertaining 3 or 4 people it is fine, but when we are just lounging watching TV, we pull out the extension and take the dinning backrest cushion to extend the seating and support our legs. Still, not ideal.

I have been looking at alternatives including lounge chairs or a lounge couch from a few vendors. The most comfortable couch I have seen is in the 30' Classic! But I understand that will not work in our 28' due to the water heater and it also is around $9K! Think I can do the whole job for less than that with some help. Lambright is one company we are talking with about their sofa lounge (below). Also talking with Ultimate AS about possibly doing the work....the Lambright sofa is not too bad ~$2k ish...they also have some nice lounge chairs if you visit their web page. Perhaps some other folks here on the Forum may have some more data and pictures.. Let us know what you end up doing and send pictures!

http://www.lambrightcomfortchairs.com/

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
With the 25' you will want to get the rear bed model, so that you can have the dinette removed without a need to relocate the furnace. It's not hard to remove the dinette, and some people do that and put in two recliners, or a small couch like you mentioned. I don't believe you can order it that way, but it's not a hard modification.
I concur, also note, nothing money can't do what you want
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Wulfraat—that’s a pretty amazing brochure for a private sale. Well done!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Very nice modifications to both the 25 and the 30! You mention in the 30', you used same density for the cushions on the couch, but made the couch deeper by eliminating the storage? I will send you a PM with my questions...as you know, it's only money...