Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Don't buy a new airstream

I bought a new airstream for $69,000 a year ago. The dealer now offers to buy it back for $50,000.

The moral of the story is don't sign on the line which is dotted unless you can accept a $19,000 loss in one year's time.

Sure I can sell it privately for more and may do that. Sure the dealer has to make money, but that much?

This is what is known as a cautionary tale, I'm not looking for any sympathy or advice. Just really really think long and hard before you take that leap.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
A quick calculation indicates that's nearly 28% depreciation. Ouch, that hurts!

You didn't say why your selling the trailer. Hope all is well.

Much like boats, other "toys" and not unlike automobiles... there's a big decrease in value as soon as it's driven (towed) off the dealer lot.

Best wishes.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 03-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Don't blame those numbers on the Airstream dealer. You're right.... they are in business to make money, just like any dealer of anything that has wheels on it.

Sorry you have to sell it....... but sell it yourself.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Pretty much a fact of life for anything that rolls on wheels. For sure don't buy a new one unless you are sure you want to keep it for a long time.

Used Airstreams are a good value, considering that they last a long time.

I always buy new cars, but then I drive them till the wheels fall off, so I get full value.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Keep in mind that as with vehicles there are a lot of charges that you loose up front. In Ontario we have fuel tax, tire taxes, air conditioning tax, OMVIC charge, freight, PDI and 13% HST; all gone as soon as you hit the road. On a $50,000.00 vehicle this can set you back over $7,000 plus depreciation on top of that.

While the OP paid $69,000, what was the agreed to price, BEFORE these charges were applied. The dealer can't give you this money back in trade as these extra charges don't end up in his pocket.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
sometimes reality sucks
Old 03-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Keep in mind that as with vehicles there are a lot of charges that you loose up front. In Ontario we have fuel tax, tire taxes, air conditioning tax, OMVIC charge, freight, PDI and 13% HST; all gone as soon as you hit the road. On a $50,000.00 vehicle this can set you back over $7,000 plus depreciation on top of that.

While the OP paid $69,000, what was the agreed to price, BEFORE these charges were applied. The dealer can't give you this money back in trade as these extra charges don't end up in his pocket.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, very true. Most people don't know how to properly calculate this transaction.

There are a lot of sunk costs. If you buy anything, an RV, a house etc and sell it within the first three years, you are going to take a bath. That is something you have to consider before you purchase the item.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought a new Airstream eleven years ago. I could care less what someone would give me for it one year later. I still own that trailer and have used the heck out of it. I studied very hard to buy the one and only trailer and we still love it. If you want short term, rent one, don't buy one. My motor vehicles stay with us for 10 years and/or 100,000 miles, so resale means nothing to us.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yea, depreciation is a bioch....

But that new trailer smell does not come cheap....

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Buying new vehicles and selling in first 3 years is always a huge loss. I stopped buying new cars in 2000 and began buying cars coming off 3 or 4 year leases. Bought a beautiful 2001 Jaguar and later a 2007 Jeep diesel Grand Cherokee. Both fantastic deals and great vehicles. Only used car I ever made any real money on was a 1986 Mecerdes 560 SL that I bought in 2005 and sold for a $10k profit in 2014. Later used that money for my Airstream diesel Land Yacht.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeboxfun View Post
I bought a new airstream for $69,000 a year ago. The dealer now offers to buy it back for $50,000.

The moral of the story is don't sign on the line which is dotted unless you can accept a $19,000 loss in one year's time.

Sure I can sell it privately for more and may do that. Sure the dealer has to make money, but that much?

This is what is known as a cautionary tale, I'm not looking for any sympathy or advice. Just really really think long and hard before you take that leap.

Sorry you need to sell after just a year. Hope everything is ok.

You're absolutely right. Think long and hard before taking the leap. I bought new in 2012 because I plan to keep the trailer and pass it on to my godson. The 2 year warranty period was great to work out a few minor bugs and I love every second I can spend in it. But I realize things can change in a heartbeat and am thankful they haven't for me yet.

Sounds like you're well aware you could cut that loss in half selling it yourself (dealer's going to try to sell for $60k). Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The dealer is buying it from you for $50,000, so they can sell it and make money. If they bought it from you for the price they could sell it for, they wouldn't stay in business long. The usual depreciation is around 20% per year, and that extra 8% they offered is about $4,000 or so. In order to buy it from you, they will probably have to borrow the money from their lender, and pay interest on the entire amount, not just the profit they hope to make. Then, it has to sit on the lot, while paying interest on it, while it waits for a new home. When it does sell, now the dealer has to pay commission to the sales department out of that profit, along with a lot of other costs that get divided over all the units on their lot, all of which chew into the money they will make when they sell it.
So, how much do you think they could afford to offer you for your trailer???
Old 03-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Back in 2013 we thought about buying new, when we were interested in getting into Airstreaming. The sticker prices were shocking. Instead we found a one year old unit, still in warranty, very lightly used. The original owner paid all of the depreciation for that first year and a penalty to trade for a motorhome. I got a crazy good deal because a Winnebago dealer did not want an AS in his inventory.
So I would echo the thought that you should not buy new if you have a choice.
Larry
Old 03-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Back in 2013 we thought about buying new, when we were interested in getting into Airstreaming. The sticker prices were shocking. Instead we found a one year old unit, still in warranty, very lightly used. The original owner paid all of the depreciation for that first year and a penalty to trade for a motorhome. I got a crazy good deal because a Winnebago dealer did not want an AS in his inventory.
So I would echo the thought that you should not buy new if you have a choice.
Larry
Probably should add the thought to not buy new, if you are planning to trade in/up in a year or two. If you're in it for a long time, new makes more sense. After all, if nobody ever buys new, there will eventually be no used Airstreams.

Closed Thread