Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
The last thing I will ever do is consider my Airsteam a financial transaction.

To me it represents the creation of lifelong memories with my family and that is priceless.

Totally agree. It's a toy, like it or not that is what it is unless one lives in it full time. Our rule, actually my wife's rule for 48 years has been toys are paid for upfront, period, if I can't buy it and pay for it, I had and have to wait. Save, trade does not matter, cash. That said, once I buy something my I consider my money gone; depreciation is just the cost of doing business.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 03-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
It would be interesting to know the original deal. What was the purchase price related to MSRP.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I'm sorry you are having to sell. We bought our first AS new and were very happy in it. Almost a year later we decided we wanted to get a larger unit. We also thought the hit we took on the trade in was worth it. Our first unit served us very well and we had some fantastic adventures in her. We decided the depreciation was equitable to our usage. I hope you enjoyed your AS for however long you had it.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #44
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Yeah, i quit buying new stuff in 1999. Everything is out there it just takes time to locate, negotiate and celebrate.
My last NEW purchase was a 2000 Tundra and I paid $19k out the door.
I still have it with only 83 k miles and will most likely keep it till I die..fingers crossed.
That's less than 5k miles a year which is about $1000 a year to own and I could still sell for $5K.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Anything with a title is not an investment. You should have thought about losing money when you bought it. Why buy it and sell it in a year. Now you will no to think more before buying without due process. this doesn't only happen on an airstream, cars, trucks motorcycles and some real estate

BUYER BEWARE

Earl
Old 03-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Sour grapes. But, hey, if someone didn't buy new, I couldn't buy used.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Used Airstreams are MORE valuable than NEW

If I am buying... depreciation is about 20% a year and after five years... I will take it off of your hands. Why embarrass yourself and relatives?

BUT.....

If I am selling... well, that is a horse of a different color.

- Labor costs have increased.

- Aluminum has been hoarded in China to make parts for Airstreams more expensive.

- Suppliers are having to pay higher minimum wages and higher shipping costs.

- Demand is HIGH as more people want an Airstream after reading this Thread.

- The upgrades. We have not even discussed those. High and higher.

- New models are a faint shadow of their previous models and built with cheaper parts.

- Cash... you have to be kidding. Negative interest rates are coming... soon. I lose money just selling my pride and joy... and for a few more bucks... towing gear.

- Gold and Silver have cost me 25% to 40% since the high. Pay me in Gold/Silver. We can share the losses.

- Although the scrap value of aluminum is down, you are buying an Icon. Art and Icons appreciate over the decades.

So, everything considered. You decide which is better. Buying NEW... or buying MY lightly used Airstream? I will also show you the way out of town, if that helps.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
It would be interesting to know the original deal. What was the purchase price related to MSRP.
The OP was here viewing this thread a couple of hours ago, and did not respond. I would venture a guess we probably won't get a lot more info from him than we already have.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
if someone didn't buy new, I couldn't buy used.
ornery!

Sorry you have to consider selling. Yep, I purchased a new Infiniti G37 in 2009. Eleven months later I traded it in on something with a decent trunk and room to move around. That change cost me $11K and the thing had just over 5000 miles on it!---34% loss- stupid. I'm sure I made someone happy besides the dealer! All RVs drop like rocks in value. Look at the Class As. A new Journey is around 300K a three year old model (I looked at one in excellent shape) can be $150K- HALF of MSRP
Old 03-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #50
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I figured that out in life and decided to just stick with late model used. Look for vehicles under 25K but above 10K they usually hit that 20% depreciation already.

At the time, we bought a 7yr old Airstream. Wow, just realized we've owned the Airstream for two years now!
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The OP was here viewing this thread a couple of hours ago, and did not respond. I would venture a guess we probably won't get a lot more info from him than we already have.
GEEEEE , I wonder why. I have only been reading these comments a few minutes & I am feeling bad for them. Everyone has(including myself) made decisions we later regretted & not just with our hard earned money.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The moment you drive a new vehicle off the dealer's lot or purchase a RV/Tailer... it is used. Common sense will tell most that you will have to discount what you paid in order to sell to another individual. If the price is too close to buying NEW... you will not find a buyer.

To minimize your "loss" you will have to discount enough to find a buyer and sell yourself, one on one to avoid the middle man, the dealer.

Sometimes you can "upgrade" into a more expensive trailer and the dealer will give you a better "deal" making money on the original sale, the discounted trade in value and the value of the more expensive trailer you now want. That is the best of both worlds... Otherwise, you are not in the position of strength in this transaction.

Many trailers are used very little and can be like new and five years old. What a deal. The 25 foot is the more popular length for those upsizing their trailer. Getting over 25 feet is a trailer where the initial cost is much higher, but a trailer than will provide more than enough space for a family for decades. It is amazing what Airstream can fit into the extra two feet or more!

Why did I buy a "new Airstream"? Because after owning a 23 foot Safari, the extra width and length of a 25 foot fit our purposes... perfectly. The first trailer is usually the breaking into the market size. Too small and you want a larger trailer, and too large and you decide that you are limited where you can park and detach. Sometimes this experience costs you money... but it was money well spent if you look at it in a positive way.

My mistakes in pickup truck purchases took three or four years of use to eventually sell as used and learned my lesson, never to find myself in a weak position again. By using it I learned my lesson and was able to make use of it. Selling "before" the warranty has expired is also a BIG positive time to take your loss by selling. The buyer is more comfortable with the warranty and you... well, education costs.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
It's unfortunate that there are so many who don't understand financial transactions per rvs. When you buy, you have instant depreciation and thst transaction is done. If you wish to later trade or sell, that transaction has nothing to do with the original sales transaction. The dealer needs to make a profit, that's capitalism. If you disagree with that, then I know how you will cast your next vote.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #54
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
It's unfortunate that there are so many who don't understand financial transactions per rvs. When you buy, you have instant depreciation and thst transaction is done. If you wish to later trade or sell, that transaction has nothing to do with the original sales transaction. The dealer needs to make a profit, that's capitalism. If you disagree with that, then I know how you will cast your next vote.

Seriously? GTFO.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Seriously? GTFO.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #56

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
AS rentals?

>>or would have rented an airstream from the company that rents them for >>week long trips to determine if it was the right thing for us.

Any links to rental dealers in the Midwest?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Seriously?
Unfortunately people really believe that stuff.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Time to move on now.. nothing to see here.. "horse beat to death.."

I think the original poster got the message and has moved on as should we.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Old 03-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #59
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Summed up perfectly.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio