Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Does anyone think the L shaped sofa is comfortable?

We have a 2004 Classic 28 ft. The comfort of the living area is important to us...and we find our current configuration pretty comfy. The seating is an actual upholstered sofa that was standard in this model, and with the beanbag footstools we added. It suits well for an afternoon or evening with a good book.
That said, it is hard to get over the sleek look of a new Flying Cloud ( we would go for another 28 footer), with the ducted air and brand new everything.
One of the sticking points for us, however, is all the negative comments about how uncomfortable the standard L shaped seating is, that is basically a bench covered with foam. It seems like everyone who can, rips it out and replaces it with recliners. We cant see buying new and then remodeling.
We went to the dealer the other day and in a short sit test in a new FC28, were pleasantly surprised at the comfort of the seating given the negativity. I was able to curl up in the corner, and could imagine feeling pretty good with a throw pillow at my back. Of course, a few minutes on the couch doesn't tell you much about the long term comfort.
So, what are we missing here? Does anyone find the L shaped couch comfy?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Not so much uncomfortable as . . .

In our 2006 Safari 23 we have L-shaped sofa. While we don't find the cushions that uncomfortable to sit on, the design leaves something to be desired if two people want to sit there and watch television. Usually means that one of us has to scrunch up in the corner of the L, while the other sits somewhere on the other part with a pillow behind his or her back to compensate for the fact that the seat of the sofa is too wide in ratio to the back height. I know why the seat depth is the way it is, so that it can end up doubling as a bed when the drawer is pulled out, but that doesn't necessarily make it any more comfortable.

Hopefully sometime in the next two years we will trade up to a 25 or 28 FB because I really like the idea of having the fixed dinette with pano windows to be able to sit, enjoy coffee and a meal and view the scenery of America as we travel. And of course we BOTH like the idea of escaping the dreaded corner bed and the too little knee space in the commode.. But other than that as is the case EVERY DAY...... We LOVE OUR AIRSTREAM!

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
W like our L-shaped sofa. It certainly isn't an overstuffed couch, but comfortable enough for us. I have found it nice enough to take some satisfying naps on!
The dogs like it, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3dogcouch.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	505.0 KB
ID:	227401  
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ntex, one of the reasons I bought my trailer was the L couch, I find it very comfortable. If you have tried out the new L couch and like it what does it really matter what anyone else thanks. Personally I take most personal opinions here with a large grain of salt. Perceptions may vary.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
It sounds like adding the beanbag footstools allows you to relax but if it were me my beer cooler would make a nicer foot stool and very accessible.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use a fold up ottoman I bought at Target, put a small pillow on top and it is just the right hight for me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We have an "L-shape sofa" in our 2013 28' flying cloud. I'm not overly impressed with the comfort of the cushions, but this would not stop me from buying this unit again as we like it that much. I think we can increase the comfort level by adding some memory foam under the factory cushions. Or as some have done - just get a new set of cushions made with better quality foam to replace the factory units.

As I said earlier, this seating is not the best, but not bad enough to stop the purchase. As for the recliner option; I spoke to the factory about this and they advised that this would be almost impossible on the 28' FC because of the collection of items installed under the sofa.

Hope these thoughts are of some use to someone

Cheers
Doug

Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We're also reasonably happy with our L-shaped couch. The dimensions in our 23' are a bit tough - the streetside bench is just a bit too short - but it works for us. If we sit for more than an hour or two, things get sore - but it's pretty much that way at home too.

I'll admit - we don't bring along the cushion that goes against the streetside wall anymore; instead we use throw pillows there as a backrest. This creates a deeper seating area and eliminates moving/storing that cushion when making the bed.

One other advantage - my wife LOVES the storage bin behind the sofa. It's filled with her yarn and knitting projects.

Like Dana above, we'll probably trade up to a 25' trailer eventually, and will substitute a single recliner in lieu of part of the dinette (or we'll downsize into a Class B...who knows...)

One last thought: I'm often curious why so few full-timers seem to opt for the 28. Far, far more get a 27FB (which is the same length.) I'd prefer the 28's dinette, L-shaped couch, and perceived added "openness" at the front of the coach.

Tom
Old 11-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I really like the L lounge design. If I were buying a new AS it would be a FC 28 twin. I like the L Lounge and the twin bed with small window in the back. Perfection!

I like my older sofa in the front but the idea of seating more people is nice too. So far, during my ownership, I have needed to seat 6 people at a time which I cannot do without adding three pieces of yard furniture. The L would offer at least 4, maybe 5 tightly stuffed people spots!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
These are helpful comments...I am just trying to get a range of input to think about. Love the three dog couch! Our current sofa would not accommodate three pooches. I didn't know the recliners were an impossibility. I know it has been done in older 28 footers. Pahaska who used to post here a lot had a 2005 model that he converted, but I think he moved some equipment to do it.
I agree on preferring the 28 to the 27FB. We like the more spacious commode area, and the open feel of the separate lounge area. It just feels a lot more like a little living room. I think the 27 has a bigger closet and pantry, but the 28 has capacious overhead storage. We would get the twin. We have that in our current setup and wouldn't change. The other big switch for us would be having a dinette. Our 2004 just has two flip up tables in front of the couch. We have enjoyed the extra floor space, and two giant closets that we have instead of a dinette, and it would probably just become a catch all surface for us.
So why change? I guess I am easily distracted by shiny new things!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
These are helpful comments...I am just trying to get a range of input to think about. Love the three dog couch! Our current sofa would not accommodate three pooches. I didn't know the recliners were an impossibility. I know it has been done in older 28 footers. Pahaska who used to post here a lot had a 2005 model that he converted, but I think he moved some equipment to do it.
I agree on preferring the 28 to the 27FB. We like the more spacious commode area, and the open feel of the separate lounge area. It just feels a lot more like a little living room. I think the 27 has a bigger closet and pantry, but the 28 has capacious overhead storage. We would get the twin. We have that in our current setup and wouldn't change. The other big switch for us would be having a dinette. Our 2004 just has two flip up tables in front of the couch. We have enjoyed the extra floor space, and two giant closets that we have instead of a dinette, and it would probably just become a catch all surface for us.
So why change? I guess I am easily distracted by shiny new things!

Please understand the recliners might be possible. I'm just passing on the comments from Chris at the factory. The issue with the newer 28' FC units is there is the hot water tank, convertor, investor that would need to be moved. All is easy enough till you get to the hot water tank. Then your forced to build a cabinet in the "L" portion and that makes your space to tight for a chair swing

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Hi -- we specifically wanted the L-lounge because of the floorplan benefits and looked hard to find one. At first we found the L-lounge a bit uncomfortable for any length of time, but with the following modifications we now love it:

1) We added 2" of memory foam on top of the bottom cushions which we have covered with a throw anyway,
2) we pulled the bed extension below forward the width of a 2X4 which we inserted to hold the bed extension forward (plus raise the front edge of the bottom cushion a bit for better thigh support,
3) put foam behind the bottom cushions to hold them forward and to hold the back cushions up,
4) we use small pillows for a bit of lumbar support.

Now the lounge is deeper, has better leg support, and the sitting surface is way more comfortable over time. It cost almost nothing, and made a huge difference.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Field and Stream-wow! I would love to see pictures. What year and model do you have?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Ntex -- Count me among those who have been frustrated trying to post pictures! It is a 2008 23' Safari SE. If yours has the extension under the cushions that pulls forward to convert the lounge to a bed, then this would work for you.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
You'll find lots of pluses and minuses to this arrangement. I recently sold my 2012 28' Intl CCD. (I've got a '15 Classic on order.) I ripped out the L seat and put in two of the Villa recliners. I found the L seat looked nice but was only suitable as seating space for my two basset hounds. Both the height and the depth caused it to be uncomfortable (IMHO). AND, the cheesy lightweight foam inside the UltraLeather would have you sitting on the plywood within a short period of time. As you'll note, some people have put in better foam. One thing that I found after pulling it out was how much wasted space is BEHIND the L seat. You have one semi useful cubby that holds the owner's manuals, but that's about it. I did have somebody sleep on it once and it was marginal. I would never have another trailer with that same arrangement. Just my experience.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I had a '10 FC 30' with the couch. In my infinite wisdom; the next year I changed the couch for the L-Lounge.

You lose room, as the long side is further into the coach (there's the storage cubby hole under the front window [made specifically and only for Tom's wife's yarn hobby ]) that takes up space.

The second thing is how uncomfortable it is to sit on; the padding is light and the shape is flat, creating an eventual slide off scenario. It's comfort is realized only when you're lying down on it.

The bonus with the L lounge is that you now have a real 2 person bed; which can also be looked at as a negative (if you're not looking for sleepover guests; sometimes easier to say, "I have no place for you to sleep" when you have the couch with a split level extended bed surface)

I'm now back to a sofa with my '15 Classic. I like it, but my dog misses his L-Lounge corner sleep spot

You can't please everyone.....

Ron

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
You are fortunate to have the new classic. It appears that is the only way to get a sofa in a new coach anymore.