Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2003, 04:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Does Airstream location matter?

When shopping for a vintage Airstream, does the location of where the Airstream lived most of its life matter? Are there extra considerations that should be weighed say when purchasing an Airstream that has resided in Florida all its life (i.e., humidity) or Arizona (i.e., dry heat) or Washington state (i.e., rain, rain, and more rain)? Besides a temperature controlled garage, which environmental conditions (i.e, state) are ideal?
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

hard to tell

What if someone bought it in new england states moved to southern states or towed it back and forth for years all over the globe?What if it has been parked under trees with dripping sap?

Generalizations probably can be made as you suggest but in the final purchase of an older unit, nothing but condition and a knowledgeable assesment of condition are the rule?

Anyways all the fun is in the fixing to your specs (yes that's crazy), so search and allow $$$ for repairs. Personally that is half the fun and you end up with a quality product.....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I was hunting, all that mattered was if it was close enough to go take a look at it...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well floor rot is universal issue. Frame rot isn't. A A/S that spent it's live in a coastal area might have some frame problems from the salt air.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It is important to look over the frame. A trailer that has a leak can let water settle in the belly pan and rust a frame from the bottom up. Also if the insulation gets wet it will be like a sponge and hold water for a long long time and rust a frame. Finally if a trailer has been sitting in tall grass - it will rot the frame. This can happen in any part of the country.

Its best to look for tell-tale signs of frame rust like white caulky stuff on the belly, aluminum will disintegrate against a rusty frame and also take a hammer (hopefully rubber) and tap the belly and listen for the sound of rust particles.

On both of my trailers I have dropped the belly and checked/repainted the frame. I had some rust and it came from the southwest desert.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
We looked at several in the L.A. area and most had a musty smell to them even though it can be real dry here.
We went to Phoenix and found our keeper which had originally spent her very early years in Chicagoland. The big advantage I found was -NO MOLD, which can be really a nightmare to get rid of and very prevalent in rainy climates liike Pacific NW (no offense Steph!)
I had to settle for a unit with no air cond.(because it was made up north) and alot of desert dust, but I also got one with no floor rot or mold, and except for a little baked rubber (window /door gaskets, etc.) I think dry climates are better good for old chassis'- ask anyone who has ever been into antique auto restoration.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote