Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Do we go small or really small

My wife and I are about to buy our first AS. Our needs are fairly simple as we are not planning any extended trips. We will use it on our property as the occasional guest cabin, and take it out for 2-3 days here and there to visit kids, relatives, and nearby explorations. It's just the two of us and we spend most of our time outdoors so don't need a lot of space. Once we got over the shock of the MSRP on the small trailers compared to our daughters 30' FC, we have been leaning more and more toward the Sport 16. The FC 19 has some features over the Sport that I really like but not sure they justify the 20K price difference. We've been through the whole big boat thing so have a good grasp of what one-foot-itis is all about so no doubt could justify the price difference if the feature set is appealing enough.

Right now, however our decision seems to be hinged on two aspects. First, my wife, who has handled many a boat trailer and horse trailer, would like to be able to hitch the AS up and head over to her sisters when I'm not around. Would the 19 be much harder for her to handle by herself than the 16'. Secondly, a few years down the road, should we decide to sell, would one size be harder to sell than the other?
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 19 would be easier to back up, tow straighter, and easier to sell because it does not have a wet bath. The Sport 22 is also a good design.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Thanks Doug. All good points.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
The last part of your post is the way I've always processed what to buy, RESALE, because most of us eventually sell these toys. dkottum makes a very valid point.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would also recommend to strongly look at the sport 22.

We felt at first that the 16 was a good size.

Until we actually considered where we would need to store all that we would be bringing along. After literally making a list, and then mentally placing the items, we realized that we didn't like a few things about the 16 in particular. Bathroom storage and food storage primarily. And a few things we really liked about the 22 over the 19 and 20.

I have a thread about this here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...es-120231.html

and then considered the difference going up in size in a thread here:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-136645.html

In a nutshell, we bought the 22 because it has the largest bed in a Bambi. Better kitchen counter than 16 or 19. Longest bed in any AS. Widow opens in the bathroom, making for good air circulation when camping without AC, narrow size makes for easy towing, and price was a better value than the 19 or 20.

If you are looking at new/recently new, the 16 and 22 are very close in cost.
Ours was a "used" 2015 that was 8 months old when we bought it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
22' is narrower (7' 3.25" vs 8'), in some ways easier to tow/backup than the 16'. The 22' is also very easy to expand the bed to a full queen.

-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
What works for you..

I would be the first to encourage you to look around and get what really suits you but after having towed a '16 footer for over 8 years, will address any concerns about how straight a 16 footer tows or backs up.

It was my first trailer and I had never towed anything when I got it. If it got any easier getting this thing around, well, you wouldn't be towing.
As always, YMMV.......

A 16' might not be for everyone. Best of luck in finding the right trailer, it'll be worth it.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
As much as I love my 16', and I really do love my 16', I have thought many times that it would be a little cramped for two people. For me and the dog, 16' is perfect. It tows like a dream, is easy to hook up, and it travels almost everywhere I want to go. The 19 and 22 sports have many of the same advantages, and there is just that little bit of extra room for two.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
I love my 19' Bambi LS. Plenty of room for the hubby and dog when they come along but most of the time it is me towing and meeting up with family and friends to camp. Easy to tow, back up....much easier than my SOB 24'. Love the full bath...roomy shower and separate toilet vanity spaces. Couldn't be happier with my choice....it's perfect for me!

Bonnie
2002 Bambi LS
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
City , Wandering
I can't comment on how it tows compared with a larger trailer, but I agree with Tinbender. I can't imagine something easier to tow than our 16! And we love the ability to get into the smallest of campsites.

Good luck with the search!
TiaDalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would rather have a used 19 than a new 16.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would shy away from a wet bath. I don't know anyone who loves theirs. Many will tolerate it, but no one is really satisfied. So if you want a small AS, that's fine, but get the smallest one with a separate shower.

There will not be much difference in towing ease with respect to a 16 vs. 19 vs. 20 or even a 22. A double axle trailer is actually easier to tow and to back up than a single axle but in the size you are considering all the units are single axle.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Take a look at the 20ft FC..for no other reason than the exquisite galley...in my humble opinion one of the best no matter the length. The fully functional bathroom (and I'm 6'6") is another plus. I agree with how cute and easy the 16ft is...its a gem ...but I don't those wet baths. Maybe look around for a slightly used one? jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have a 24 and could easily be persuaded to go 26. I was inside a 16 and a fellow would have to step outside to change his mind. Too much is still adequate. Too little is never enough.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Take a look at the 20ft FC..for no other reason than the exquisite galley...in my humble opinion one of the best no matter the length. The fully functional bathroom (and I'm 6'6") is another plus. I agree with how cute and easy the 16ft is...its a gem ...but I don't those wet baths. Maybe look around for a slightly used one? jon
The 20ft FC is a delightful floor plan. Great galley and a full time made up bed.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Go Big

This is a very personal decision. The layout, appliances and space or lack of it all matter to some and are of no concern to others.

Start with the axle configuration. If you are good with towing a single, move to the appliances. Do you need an oven, a single or double sink, a microwave? Do you need /want a full, queen, or singles? Do you need, want bathroom space or just the minimum? Do you want dedicated bed or a convertible dinette? The answers to these questions and others you develop will lead you to your new toy.

Do not underestimate importance of the difference between the wet and the dry shower. The enclosed AS showers are great. I thought the shower would not be something I would use. I was wrong. Biggest mistake a relative made with a SOB purchase was a shower curtain configuration. They don't like it and don't use it. Figure out what you like and make the decisions based on those preferences. And if bigger is better, consider used. There are a lot of folks who fall for that twoftit'is bug.

Hookup - the hitch may be more of an issue than the trailer size. But in any case think cameras. They make a big difference.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat

PS - some of the older models have layouts that may include a feature that is no longer made. Worth checking them out.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Now here is my reason my wife and I went with the 16' Bambi. We have had in our 20 years of pulling different trailers from 20 footers to 27 footers. Then we realized with all of the baby boomers retiring that we could not just stop at any R.V site and find a space for a trailer under 20' without reservations. So for the last 2 years we have had a 16' Bambi. Yes, it took some adjusting to a small space but we can always find a space for a small trailer. Even at the most popular places. I am 6'1" and have no problem getting around inside. Just a thought that it's not going to get any better with more and more people taking to the roads and camp sites.
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
WyoGal

2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
We started out small, really small, then considered amenities... went with a 25FB, no regrets, just returned to Wyoming from Virginia and points east. It towed like a dream, he could get up first, let me sleep in, have his coffee, never wake me. We recommend more space over less, water over no water, fixing meals with our foods.
Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I agree with CRH, though we didn't even consider a 16. Our 19 is pretty much adequate for the two of us, though without question storage is the major issue when we are out on 3-week ventures. The challenge is having to be inside during poor weather....at least there is space to turn around in the 19. Never towed a 16, but would say that the 19 is nearly like it isn't there.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
KellogKidd: Love that Cummins. Winter use in Idaho? Have heated storage? All the comforts of home? Hitch and go? Are you handy? Nice state to off road in !!! I could have spent up to $150,000. Towed thousands of miles in 31' Int Sov in USA and took same to Germany where for 5 years made parts and modified systems as necessary. Lived in the 31'er for 6 months over one winter. Learned Airstreams are luxurious, unreliable, poorly designed and overpriced. Countless problems in the forums proved all the former. Bought 1958 22' Caravanner for $4,100 and gutted it. Redesigned floor plan and bought what I needed. Now at $11K all in. Wood or kerosene heat, 40 milk jugs (water), dual fuel electric start 3500 watt generator on tongue, point source propane ( refillable 1 # bottles), heat water in turkey fryer ( pressurized for shower) , house window A/Cs, inflatable couches open to queen beds and much much more. Chopped spindles off axle, added swing arms to each side with an air bag. Can do full kneel to ground or up to 11" freeboard under the belly for off road. Rig has no temperature limits, no tanks, no need to winterize. Sleeps 6 and can cook for 20. All contents can move outside under the huge poly tarp awning. I store all supplies etc in my Cadillac Escalade EXT. Much more to share. Larry @ 402 594 5161
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote