Old 12-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You deduct the tongue weight, as it is not carried by the trailer tires, so there is no problem with D or even C rated tires on a 19'. The wheel wells are a tight fit for the 15" tires on a 16 or 19, and I don't think you could install 16's. Our 19 is fine for us, just two, and easy to tow and handle. The 8' width is comfortable and easy to see around. The 7'6" sport 22 would be even better.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I removed the dinette table and made an insert to make the seating into a "U" for a more flexible seating plan. Hated being stuck with a dinette as the only place to sit down when inside- a common problem with smaller, modern trailers. A removable table on a pedestal base gives us the table we need- but we can move it as desired. The older trailers had gauchos so that you had a couch.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Coeur d Alene , Idaho
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We truly appreciate your having done so.

After reading through your comments I think we've pretty much settled on either a 19' or 20' FC. One of the most consistent and common comments you made was anti-wet bath and that was a concern for us as well so the 16' Sport is out. We really like the cabinets and upgraded components in the FC. We've been to multiple dealers, large and small, and had never seen a 20' FC so missed that. My wife does appreciate counter space so we will have to find a 20' to look at.

In an effort to gauge popularity (and it's impact on resale ability) I looked at the inventory of many dealers and found most of them have way more 19' units than either 16 or 20. I'm guessing that the market for the 19 is greater than the 16 thus the resale ability would be better.

Many of you promoted the idea of something bigger and we fully understand why. However for the next 5-6 years at least, our usage is going to be pretty restricted so no long or lengthy trips. Really do plan on using it mostly as a guest cabin on our property with a weekend trips to one of our kids and the occasional 2 day boondocks trip close by. The added benefit of something shorter is the ability to park it in my shop should I feel the need/desire to do so.

Now comes the real challenge, figuring out how we're going to fund this little adventure
Old 12-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You may have seen this already, but the floor plan for the FC20 is in the drop down menu here:

2016 Airstream Flying Cloud Floorplans & Specs | Airstream

Also, there is a fairly long thread about this model, and the earlier posts contain discussions about the pro's and con's of various similarly sized trailers:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html

I still recommend finding one to check out, whether new or used. The classifieds here let you filter for shorter trailers, and I remember seeing used FC20's all over the country, especially in the NW.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Here are the used trailers filtered for 13' to 21' --

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...th-range/13-21

This Safari SE20 listed in Arizona is a similar earlier model to the FC20:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-20-arizona-2/

Here is a FC20 in Texas:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...loud-20-texas/

The seller in Texas seems motivated, and this is a great time of year for buyers -- go for it!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Boise FC20 to check out:

https://boise.craigslist.org/rvd/5346878357.html
Old 12-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
KK,
We've used ours as a guest house a number of times. Parked in the driveway, and hooked up to the sewer cleanout, it's always a hit for family and friends. You mentioned parking it in the shop occasionally. I've done that when there has been hail warnings - put this cute little trailer in a building, and it is suddenly HUGE!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Really think about the 20'

When we went to the Airstream dealership to buy our first Airstream we had decided that a 19' was all we needed. After walking around a 16' (didn't like because of the wet bath), a 19' and a 20' we quickly decided that the 20' was the way to go. What sold us was the galley layout and the double sink.
Another feature that worked well for us is that the bed made a good place to sit and watch TV. We put a wedge pillow at the back and it was quite comfortable. The only option in the 19' is to sit at the dinnette. We really enjoyed our 20' for the 5 years we owned it.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Chuck the 19 idea. Your choices are the FC20 and the 22Sport. Now, We really like the 22Sport. It's narrower, basically a smaller version of our 23 from a layout perspective, and it has a long bed....I'm tall you see. But, the FC 20 has a double sink, the trunk for the nasty stuff, a 3 burner stove top, and the wider interior. The biggest value, however, is the rock guards. Our Port has some rock dings and our Starboard has a small kink at the bottom from a tire tread that we could not completely side step. The Stainless takes a beating and comes back for more. The aluminum shell on a Sport is going to look real beat up unless you just keep the trailer on your property all the time. You let her run with the herd even once and you may have a repair bill. As I said, I really like the 22, but I think the 20 is a better solution for a long time trailer requirement. Now take a breath, your work is done. Sit the wife in both and she'll let you know which one is the best. Pat
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Our Lil' Puppy has added rock guards and electric jack. Easy adds for the dealer to do.

IMHO the deciding factor on the 20 to the 22 is the bed. If the bed on the 20 meets your needs, than I think that is the better choice (not considering cost) as the storage and counterspace is certainly better in the 20.

We decided that the narrower 48 inch wide bed was not an option for us. Kitchen counter space eliminated the 16 and 19. So were very happy to go with the 22 vs paying a lot more for a 23FB or 25.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
why is the 22 ft. bambi less expensive than a 19 ft flying cloud?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
the sport has a lower "trim" level than the flying cloud.

It lacks these items that are standard equipment on the flying cloud:
rear bumper
electric hitch jack
flip up style cabinets
option for oven
top hinge windows (except for the front, the sport windows are fixed at the top and the bottom third will open on a hinge. The front window is a top hinge window on the sports. The exterior look of the window also differs because of the different style.)
Only 1 battery standard
only 1 fantastic fan
narrower width
no rock guards
ac with electric heat strip vs heat pump I believe in the FC.

That being the major difference, they are similar in tank capacity and weight.

22 has an operational window in the bathroom. 19 has a front view dinette

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Best of luck in your decision. My wife and I have a 16 foot sport and have been very pleased with it. It certainly depends on how you plan on using it. We have had our 16' Sport for 12 month and have taken 11 trips. Most of our trips are 10 to 14 days at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Coeur d Alene , Idaho
After several of you mentioned the 20FC we found a used one today and went and looked at it. My wife too one look at the galley layout and the bath and now I can truthfully say our confusion is over. We are now officially in the market for an FC20. There is a nice used one about 8-10 hours away. Going to have to learn how the inspection program works and see if we can find someone to go look at it.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks, I have been wondering about this. I will check the other threads when I have time, but does the switch to the 16' Michelins require any modification of the wheel well or exterior skin? Thanks.

Peter - I noticed no one responded to this question. The switch to 16" wheels (I went with Sendel) and the Michelins does NOT require any modification. The wheel caps from the 15s even fit perfectly!