Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

2015 27' FB International
Mifflinburg , Pennsylvania
Do we go bigger?

Thinking of bumping up from a 2011 27 International Signature to a 2015 30 Flying Cloud Twins. We are a bit concerned with how it is with road travel and general getting and moving about campsites. We would love any feedback for anyone already owning this unit, pluses or minuses. Thanks!
flowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowboat View Post
Thinking of bumping up from a 2011 27 International Signature to a 2015 30 Flying Cloud Twins. We are a bit concerned with how it is with road travel and general getting and moving about campsites. We would love any feedback for anyone already owning this unit, pluses or minuses. Thanks!
Do not take advice from me. I was almost seven years old before I realized the Lord's Prayer really didn't go "Lead a snot into temptation"

Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Do you really need to go bigger ? If your asking about it maybe you don't realy need the extra room . I down sized and it's great ,again I'm not living in our trailer ,yes I do miss some of the other things in our old trailer but I love the less hassle of a larger trailer ,easier to get into campgrounds ,parking lots , I can even do a turn around in small campground parking lots. Less to wash ,less to heat less to cool,and more living in the great outdoors!
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I moved from a 22' SOB to a 30' AS. Other than the one mental lapse in "hitting my marks" in the drive for the backing distance and trying to stuff a 9'6" tall AS into a 7 foot garage opening....well....

It just takes some consciousness for awhile, but I got used to it. It's not any harder to move around CGs that I am in 99% of the time. Moving past the site entrance enough to make the turn is still something I don't do frequently. Have to pull further down the road to make the backing turn. Al in all, it's a non-event after a few trips.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I bet its easier to go from a 27' to a 31ft AS then a 17' Casita to a Classic 25fb (26')like we did.

If you were to take your past experiences with your 27 would you be able to fit in the same campsites, pull into the same gas/diesel stations, park in the same parking spots with a 31 being 3 feet longer?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We went through a similar debate when choosing boats. The debate on which Airstream we wanted was short. 30', of course.

It is a very personal decision once you've resolved the towing and cost issues. If you can tow it, and you can afford it, then the question is - do you need the extra space?

For us, it was little things, like having a real shower stall, having more storage space, having a more comfortable "hang out" space. I am still researching whether replacing the queen bed with a king sized mattress is possible. That would be perfection.

Some folks spend most of their time outside. So maybe the extra space is not a big deal. I know my wife and spend a lot of time "inside", so having the extra room is welcomed. But it becomes a very personal choice. We are leaning towards an International vs. a Classic, because although the Classic is very nice, my tow vehicle will welcome the 1,000 lb. reduction in weight. But we looked long and hard at the 27s and the extra space we got made the decision easy for us.

However, I would add that I think it is rare to hear someone complain they have too much space...
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
What specifically are the shortcomings in your 27? Would a 30 solve the issue(s)?

Some one said, "However, I would add that I think it is rare to hear someone complain they have too much space...". That rationale could only lead to a 40' Something-or-Another with four slides.

Airstreams are all tiny; spending good money for three more feet of Airstream doesn't make much difference unless there is a specific problem. We had a 20' which had no living room, so we bought a 25' then took out the dinette to make a living room.

I'm a fan of mid-size Airstreams for two of us, traveling half the year. Tows beautifully with a half-ton truck or similar SUV, maneuvers well with this combination or as a daily driver. More people and/or more time traveling I would be a fan of a 30' and possibly the burdens and costs of a larger tow vehicle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
Yes, go bigger. We went from a 25 to a 30. Basically it pulls the same, backs the same, almost no noticeable difference. Bath is much bigger, more closet. We eat and use our computers at the dinette, and read and watch TV from the L-couch. Big difference having those two separate spaces. Shelf behind couch organizes all this things that use to clutter the dinette table. I believe I counted 19 windows. You will love the 30!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Interesting, I just counted only 17 windows in our 25. Definitely a problem here.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
28ft has worked great for us.Never a problem with length anywhere we have been.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We own a 2014 30" flying Cloud and are half timers. We debated between the 28' and 30'. The additional space in the living room was the deciding factor for us. I use it as a work space while on the road.

We camp mostly in Public campgrounds. in 150 + days of camping so far there has only been one time where the 3ft would have made a difference. We were trying to boodock in a National forest and wouldn't ya know the folks right in front of us got the only open stop we could fit into, We motored on down the road and found one just as nice.

I have had no problem towing with 3/4 ton PU. That might be the only down side. Unless your a flatlander you might want to have a 3/4 ton for towing.

Have backed it in to some pretty tight spots with real no issues. Ignore the helpful Henry's and have patience and you'll be just fine.

Either way you go life is always good when your streaming.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We went from a Safari to our current Classic. Safari was 28' and the Classic is 31'. Other than having to adjust how we back into our drive at the end of a cul de sac, we really haven't seen any limitations from a campsite situation.

The one thing I have seen is that there is more area behind the rear axle to deal with. It's evident when exiting roads where you have to go up or down some steep angles. Most of this occurs when exiting roads to enter into gas stations. You really have to learn to eyeball these situations to minimize the dreaded tail drag situations where the rear end contacts the ground.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #13

Mifflinburg , Pennsylvania
twin beds adds a ton of room in the bedroom,and gives a lounge area rather then sitting at the table all the time
flowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Interesting, I just counted only 17 windows in our 25. Definitely a problem here.
Hi, I only have 8 windows and that's counting the one in the entrance door. [so warm a cozy in here]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Ottawa , Ontario
Smile go bigger

We decided to do from 28 Flying Cloud to an International 31. Why? Our principal reason was because we preferred two arm chairs to the usual bench at the end of the unit. Instead of remodelling we puchased a new one. The dealer just loved us.
The additional desk in front of one of the seats was a bonus, but it allows me to work on my computer and leave dinette for its inteded use. The armoir and the more spacious shower were added bonuses.
Parking is not an issue, tight is tight, so I try to find a pull through if possible. Would not wish to hurt the trailer or my pride.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
I have had a 28 Excella, 30 Classic and a 25 Classic, in that order. The 28 was narrow body and I wanted to upgrade to a dinette and Queen bed which I got in the 30. Then I felt as though we did not need the extra space, extra weight and so I sold it and bought a 25 Classic with the same dinette and Queen bed. This is the ideal one for us as we are not full-timers. If you are full-timers then the larger unit may be the obvious choice. The campsite access from my perspective is similar no matter which one we had.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
This is a very personal issue...what rig to buy...
We had a 29' Classic narrow body; then a 30' Classic wide body, then a 28' Classic wide body, and now a 25' Safari FB wide body. We enjoyed them all!!!

We loved every one for different reasons...though we really love the one we have now.
The reason...much lighter, brighter, easier to tow..still have plenty of space where we need it, living space, split Ba and kitchen with a nice sized fridge/freezer. Still have a nice queen bed. We can get into campsites larger rigs can not.

I will confess that my husband built 5 new drawers in unused places, so we have as much storage as ever. Though I have recently realized, (yes it took me this long) that I do not need to take everything I own and so I make a genuine effort to keep up to date with all supplies, clothes and needs.

I found I do not need 2 pounds of sugar, 5 pounds of flour, 6 blankets, 6 lawn chairs and so much more stuff that I could never use it all. I now have the amounts of extra stuff that is usable in a reasonable time. Oh, surprisingly I also have realized that if I do not have it (most likely won't happen) there are stores everywhere that will have whatever it is I think I do not have.

So we love the panoramic windows front and rear. It is so nice to sit at the window and watch the water, mtns. birds, squirrels, or whatever is behind us, we could not do that with the rear BR. Very relaxing...especially nice when the weather isn't. None of the other rigs had this layout, the BR was always on the view.

So bottom line, you have to decide what you want...no one can tell you what to buy. There are advantages to all the sizes and layouts, you have to decide what is important to you. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I bet its easier to go from a 27' to a 31ft AS then a 17' Casita to a Classic 25fb (26')like we did.

If you were to take your past experiences with your 27 would you be able to fit in the same campsites, pull into the same gas/diesel stations, park in the same parking spots with a 31 being 3 feet longer?

Kelvin
I myself went from a 17 ft. casita to a 23 ft. as and never looded back! except when backing. as slow aspossible as fast as nnecessaty.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
After spending five months on the road and 15,000 miles in 2013 with three dogs, we decided 25 feet wasn't enough room. We upgraded to a thirty foot international and have never been sorry. The dual air conditioners actually cool the inside down. It tows well behind our 2500 HD. I do have to be a little more selective about our campground choices though.
One piece of advice though. When the wife asks if you want her to ground guide while you back up, "Naw, I got this" is the wrong answer.
New bumper installed - $450.00.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Went 25' to 30' and Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote