Old 01-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Question Do I take the plunge???

After reading here for quite a while, I have learned a couple of things.
1. Buy the best condition trailer you can.
2. Rear baths usualy have a sag issue.
3. Ballance your running gear.
4. A pollishes A/S has a major cool factor.
5. This is one group that I would like to spend a long weekend with.

I had mentioned a while back that I found a '67 Ambasador. It is still sitting there. The interor is shot, but most of the rear bath is there. Some of the original interor pieces are there and maybe of use. It is set up as a double, but I need a twin. Since it will have to be gutted to fix the sag and soft spots in the floor anyway, I could just convert it to a twin with one bunk. (We have three kids.)
It may neeed an axle, but I wouldn't know till the house range, sink and frige, along with the 3/4" partical board cabinets, counters and counter tops are removed. Also the hide a bed sofa at the front. I'm guessing that the extra weight from these things could be causing the forward axle to be sitting a with the swing arm level with the frame.

I assume that it will need the brakes, shocks, plumbing, electrical and gas lines all replaced.

Is it worth getting this thing for around $150.00??

I do not have the $5000.00+ to get into a better trailer, but can come up with a couple of hundred here and there to rebuild one. With what I have seen and learned here, building the cabinets and partitions is not that hard. It just takes time (something I have) and patience to fabricate what is needed. I think that saving a old A/S is good. But do I want one sitting in the drive or back yard for two or three years during rebuild????

Am I thinking this thing out right?? Or is the aluminum poisoning getting the better of me??

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Ted,
At first blush: $150.00! GO!!;
HOWEVER let sober minds prevail. Find someone who has been there, done that, and get his input.
I was in your shoes a while back, and mine is a cream-puff compared to the one you mentioned, BUT it is taking every ounce of resolve to keep going. If you have to lift the shell, I would think long & hard; IMHO.
Dick

Old 01-17-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
ted, i wouldnt, but im not you..... it is awfully cheap....go for it , if you are into rehab....this one sounds like a muy grande projecto...i would suggest you find a job with a company with manufacturing faciliities and a large maintenance shop...get to know the guys....and do(what we called in the navy) a little "comshaw" good luck guy, IMHO, id keep looking though
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
dont forget...older units dont have greywater tanks...so you will need a honeybucket...in my mind,,an extra source of grief when you are supposed to be having fun....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
till

the final plunge is up to you!

however, even ONE of the curved corning windows from the 60's is going for 350 to 400 bucks on various web sites i have viewed.

if it were me, and had some extra room i would certainly go for it for 150 bucks.

john
Old 01-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Ted,
You did not mention a few things that I would be curious about...

1. Do you have a vehicle to pull it with?
2. If the outside is relatively free of flaws thhats important.
3. The smaller units are more of a premium so that would be a plus in value after restore.
4. Its hard to say no to a 150 price tag if you are sure of your skills to do most of the work yourself.
5. Are you as crazy as I am ? cause I'd probably go for it...lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
All the glass is there and unbroken.

It will need a patch here and there, that does not bother me. Though there is a dent in the endcaps. But they are not realy big...... The price tag does have me really on the fence...
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

"2. Rear baths usualy have a sag issue."

I have never heard this quatified, but I would rather say that longer, rear bath coaches from the mid to late seventies MAY have tail droop or rear end seperation. Or both.

Rear end seperation can occur with, well, with any coach I suppose. But the problem appears to be most common in a rear bath unit because the construction will conceal a rot problem until it is pretty far gone.

"3. Ballance your running gear."

I believe it. I just can't find anyone to do it. In fact, very few of us have had it done. The longer the coach, the more important this becomes, but most of us are just hoping for the best. And unquestionably the issues became less critical (but appently did not disappear) when the factory specified heavier frames somewhere around '79 or so.

$150?

That will be the smallest cost involved in the project.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 01-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

IMHO if you can pick it up for $150. And you can get it home without losing any hair or spending alot of money and you have a place to store it I would go for it. If after getting into resto you think it's too much, you can very easily get your money back out of it. Even if (forbid) you parted it out in peices. You didn't mention if it was roadworthy or how far you had to go to get it home. Good luck.

whistler
Old 01-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
It is a half mile from my house and road worthy enough to get it here.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
get it

If it's that close to your house I'd drag it home for $150. Worst case you can always use it for a shed. Can't get a good tool shed for $150. Sounds like it will take mucho $ and time to get it up to par but like you said, you can tinker with it when you can. If it was close to me I'd buy it for that much.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You haven't gotten it yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by till
It is a half mile from my house and road worthy enough to get it here.
Ted, grab it, drag it home, and start haunting the want ads and posts here for interior parts. One of the posts here mentions a front dinette for one of those units for free, just haul it home. you MIGHT, if lucky, find enough of this stuff to bring your cost of restoring it down from the ozone, depending on what you want.
And, if next week you find one that is in terrific shape for cheap money, you have a parts source for it.
Terry
Old 01-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
If I saw an Airstream going for $150 I do not care what condition it is in.. I would buy it, for twice the price, easily. The aluminum is worth more than that, the windows will sell for ten times that.. If nothing else, get it for it's component parts..

Theo
Old 01-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Seen photo's of people putting these older units that were not worth fixing up in thier back yard and turning them into a changing area if you have a pool or an office, shed or play house for the kids. They dressed up the front area with a wood porch and flowers and plants around it, looked real cool and if I could find one for that price that would be my getaway spot in the back yard !