Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Do I need to purchase an extended warranty?

Thanks for your thoughts. About to purchase a 27', 2012 International Signature. Do I need to spend the $$ on an extended warrenty? I am purchasing the AS 2000 miles from our home. Does that matter when it comes to warranties.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey Travel Bird,

I knew you would get Aluminumitis after visiting us at Roadrunner.

An extended warranty is only as good as to what it covers. Look at the details as to what it covers then research what problems your model or year has experienced and see if it would pay out in the long run.

I personally do not purchase extensions.

Sphere Guy
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy
Hey Travel Bird,

I knew you would get Aluminumitis after visiting us at Roadrunner.

An extended warranty is only as good as to what it covers. Look at the details as to what it covers then research what problems your model or year has experienced and see if it would pay out in the long run.

I personally do not purchase extensions.

Sphere Guy
Yes and I have already been invited by Bruce to join you all next year at the Easter Rally!! thanks for your response!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Yes, he likes Easter. I saw him wearing Bunny slippers.

We will see you there.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Extended Warranty Economics

The first owner of our trailer purchased a very expensive (almost $2000), and reasonably comprehensive, extended warranty which we picked up for the $50 transfer fee when we purchased the trailer.

In reviewing the service records since the beginning of the trailer's life (5 years ago) the paid warranty claims are much less than the amount the original owners paid for it. It has been a bargain for me in that I've been reimbursed for several hundred dollars, more than offsetting the $50 cost.

The most expensive repair issue we've face, repairing floor rot and leaks ($4000), was not covered by the extended warranty and was identified after the manufacturer warranty expired.

Based on what I've seen, if I was purchasing a new trailer today I probably wouldn't buy the extended warranty. I would be very aggressive in identifying and getting defects fixed during the two year manufacturer warranty period.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, don't buy any warranty unless it is from the actual manufacturer of the product.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Woohoo! I could tell you weren't going to be able to resist temptation for ever! Are you going east or west to pick it up?

I wish you a wonderful shake-down trip home. Congratulations!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you do get an extended warranty, read the fine print very carefully, and don't sign the paperwork without doing so. There's a reason they always present this option to you as you are there to sign the papers and close the deal. Most folks don't take the time to actually ready what is covered and understand all the loopholes there are for the vendor to use to their advantage...only to find out about them later.

We bought an extended warranty on our first RV, a small motor home. What a mistake it was. And we won't make the same mistake twice. It would have been easier, less of a hassle. less frustrating, and less expensive to just pay for the things that went wrong. When we did make a claim, it was like pulling teeth to get them to cough it up even when it was obviously a manufacturing issue... When we sold the rig, we canceled it for a refund and got screwed in that process as well...not to mention the 6 months and multiple calls it took to get the refund. The cards are stacked against you from every angle. It ruined a perfectly good relationship with the dealer who sold us the unit, too, because we were not willing to back down ... both the company and the vendor make a killing on those things. You are better off to put X amount of $$ away each month to fix things that might go wrong, and then when they don't you still have all your money.

Yes, it was a bad experience, if you couldn't tell.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Insurance is to reduce risk at a reasonable cost for something you hope never happens. It is not in the insurer's short term economic interest to pay claims; their purpose is to pay a lot to company officers and something to investors.

Therefore, the policy may be full of vague and ambiguous terms, have many limits on whether they'll pay a claim, have appeal procedures that are hard to follow and may require travel to a distant city, and leave the definition of claims up to an invisible someone in an office far away.

Some companies are reputable and some are regulated more than others. But extended warranty insurance has a bad reputation for all the reasons written by previous posters. I read (everywhere, not just on the Forum) that far more people are unhappy after they buy than people who had good experiences. Some people wish to reduce risk and believe it is better but have this insurance than not, but if the policy does not reduce risk then it is a bad buy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote