Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

2013 22' FB Sport
encinitas , California
Do I need to buy the extended warranty for my new Airstream

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if i'm not posting correctly/asking something that's already been answered.

I just bought a 2013 Sport FB (22ft), and the dealer offered me a 'slam dunk' extended warranty. It's about $250 a year for 7 years and covers most everything but the panelling and tires. Does anyone think this is necessary?

Thanks!,
rog251

Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
First off welcome! I'd say for $250 a year you could self insure for repairs after the two year warranty expires. They make a lot of $$ for the dealer so it's a slam dunk for them not you.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Insurance companies, including the companies that offer extended warranties, are in business to turn a profit. Chances are excellent that what you pay for an extended warranty will be a sunk cost (or a "dunked" cost?), because you'll get back less in repairs than you paid in warranty premiums.

That said, if you're one of the unlucky few that bought a lemon, you might get your money's worth and then some. And there are some people who get it just because it eases the budget calculations, a fixed cost every year vs. an unknown and unbudgeted cost if something does break.

I decided not to get extended warranty coverage on my Airstream. Or my Honda. Or my home electronics.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have never bought an extended warranty and never would as it is a major profit center.
I can not think of any major product I have ever owned where I would have won on the extended warranty.
If you buy one on everything, even if you win on one you would lose collectively.
I usually tell the dealer that if I thought it was that unreliable I would not have bought it in the first place
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I don't recommend it. It benefits the insurer more than it will benefit you, the insuree. We did that on a small motor home prior to our AS, and we will never do it again. It was not worth it. It was hell getting them to pay for anything and we were usually initially denied on claims ... and only got compensation by raising a ruckus. Not a pleasant experience. Then when we sold the rig and cashed the balance of the warranty out we lost most of the unused portion.

You have a 2 year warranty from the factory. That will take care of things that need bugs to be worked out of over that 2 years. By the end of that 2 years you will be familiar enough with things to be able to trouble shoot on your own...

Another option is to take out extended warranties on the pricier components from their manufacturers...frig, AC, furnace, water heater, etc. once the factory warranty is over.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Like TBRich says.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

If the Factory offered an extended "warranty".....maybe.

Aftermarket, no.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
(snip)
I usually tell the dealer that if I thought it was that unreliable I would not have bought it in the first place
I bought a new Toyota Camry Hybrid and got the hard sell to buy the extended warranty. "It is a very complex car and repairs are expensive"... was the pitch. I told them, that they really knew how to ruin the experience of buying a new Toyota by telling me the day I purchased it what a POS it was and that it was going to fall apart and cost me a fortune.

No, I did not buy the warranty, and would never buy such a thing. Just not worth the money nor the hassle of getting them to honor it for repairs. That is another problem with those warranty policy's. They are written to cover certain things only and you would be amazed how they find ways to exclude whatever problem you think is covered.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Your equipment that has manufacturing defects will most likely fail within the first two years, and that is covered with the new Airstream. It is also likely if these things are running well after that time, they will go the distance, until worn out. That's a great advantage to buying new.

$1750 is easy money for the dealer and they push this stuff hard. It will also pay for quite a few minor things that may fail on you, and if none does you are money ahead.

We have saved a bundle never buying these things over the years, with the exception of Apple laptop computers where the extended warranty was with the manufacturer, not aftermarket.

doug k
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rog251 View Post
I just bought a 2013 Sport FB (22ft), and the dealer offered me a 'slam dunk' extended warranty. It's about $250 a year for 7 years and covers most everything but the panelling and tires. Does anyone think this is necessary?
Welcome

In general the trailers require a good deal of warranty service during the first year or two, more if you're picky, less if you're lucky and have one with a below-average number of problems.

For years 3 through 7 the most likely sources of trouble are appliances, batteries, and damage from rain leaks. Appliances are covered by their own warranties that are longer than the 2-year Airstream warranty in most cases. Batteries are unlikely to be covered by the extended warranty, as are repairs from rain leaks.

Finally, claims service is always a tough area with extended warranties as in many cases there are various barriers to getting repairs performed and payment made when there is a covered repair. Ask whether there's a service charge for each repair episode. Ask other dealers besides the selling dealer if they accept the extended warranty for payment.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I don't recommend it. It benefits the insurer more than it will benefit you, the insuree. We did that on a small motor home prior to our AS, and we will never do it again. It was not worth it. It was hell getting them to pay for anything and we were usually initially denied on claims ... and only got compensation by raising a ruckus. Not a pleasant experience. Then when we sold the rig and cashed the balance of the warranty out we lost most of the unused portion.

Another option is to take out extended warranties on the pricier components from their manufacturers...frig, AC, furnace, water heater, etc. once the factory warranty is over.
A bit of insurance theory..... Insurers are supposed to benefit more than the insureds, otherwise they wouldn't stay in business. This is true of all types of insurance. One buys insurance not to collect more benefits than he pays in premiums, but to mitigate a risk the insured is not comfortable living with. I only buy catastrophic insurance, high deductibles and limits where the risk is greater than I can afford to lose.

An insurance policy is just a contract, and the insurer, at the end of the day, must honor it. I assume all my claims will be denied, that is part of the business model. Persistence is necessary to collect what is due you. Most insurance companies are bullies, and their customers let them get away with it. It's kind of an authority thing. But collecting insurance claims was a big part of my job so now I read the policies carefully and claim what is due me. The insurance companies are NOT in charge, the policy terms are.

If the hassle factor makes buying insurance unattractive to you, then you don't need it. If a loss would cause you major pain, then you do. I agree that using this simple rule means you don't buy extended warranties, but I can imagine a few rare instances where they might allow you to sleep better.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
On the other side of things, friends that bought a 2005 new said the best thing they did was to get the extended as lots broke down the 3rd year.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
if you are going to USE it...a LOT... and don't like DIY.. get the warranty... or support this site and save lots of $$ and learn to DIY. Just my $.02...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #14

2013 22' FB Sport
encinitas , California
thanks all....great info!