Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bishop, nice upgrades. Similar thoughts on the convection/microwave oven. I have a small convection/microwave oven in the house and rarely use the big oven except for the occasional large pizza. So torn between which to get. In 6 years of Airstream ownership I have never used the built in gas oven. Actually I have never even attempted to light it.
Couple of questions, What tires and power converter did your unit come with? I heard they have upgraded both.
Also what are your plans/thoughts on solar and battery upgrades?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Goldenrod , Florida
We posted earlier in this thread about our FC 25' twin delivery at Tampa RVone. We are on our way to our 4th outing with it so far. Still trying to get a feel for how it works vs how it is supposed to work. Fresh, Gray, and Black tanks are hit and miss with providing an accurate reading but I understand that is common. When we did our first wash down, we discovered that one of the front upper rock guards had a stripped out connector. It took a looonnnnggg time for Tampa RVone to order in the correct parts and even then I had to call to see if they had received them yet. The answer, of course, was "yes, they just came in yesterday". All that aside, they arranged for a mobile repairman from their dealership to come to Orlando and repair the rock guard for us. A little strange since we and the repairman both wondered why they didn't ask Orlando RVone to do the call. Orlando RVone actually has a staffed, new RV receiving building about a hundred yards from our trailer storage site. Oh well, it's fixed now.

Totally agree with the take that MWBISHOP has on Orlando drivers. We have lived hear going on 40 years. I drive past the Orlando RVone dealership EVERY work day and between the people texting, talking on phones, turning left from the far right hand lanes, weaving, straightening curves, not using turn signals, throwing trash from windows, and just being downright mean, you are at risk every single minute.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bishop, nice upgrades. Similar thoughts on the convection/microwave oven. I have a small convection/microwave oven in the house and rarely use the big oven except for the occasional large pizza. So torn between which to get. In 6 years of Airstream ownership I have never used the built in gas oven. Actually I have never even attempted to light it.
Couple of questions, What tires and power converter did your unit come with? I heard they have upgraded both.
Also what are your plans/thoughts on solar and battery upgrades?
Yes, may never or rarely use the oven either, or convection oven for that matter. Had a gas oven in an apartment a thousand years ago and did not have any issues using one, so it was a hard decision - I still second-guess.

GY Endurance tires now installed are suppose to be way better than the Marathons. I guess only time will tell, but I like the higher speed rating meaning can tow at 70 if traffic dictates and stay well below the tire rating.
Oh, probably already know but get a good torque wrench. My lugs did not get loose enough to fall off or anything, but several did need to be slightly re-torqued when I got home.

The new ASs also have the new 1-piece roof which I think is a HUGE improvement that I don't think is emphasized enough.

Yes, comes with the 1000W Pure Sine, but not educated on what difference that would make. Doubt we will go solar for the foreseeable future. We'll be storing in covered-storage so no benefit there to charge batts and we'll likely be in campgrounds 99% of the time so no solar benefit there either.

So far my only complaint so far is I am not yet retired and won't be able to enjoy the new 26U as much as would like to for now. But one day...
Old 05-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bishop, thanks for the reply. Let us know how she works out you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Our new 26U

First two night's "shake-down" cruise.
1st morning at Wekiwa Springs State Park, Apopka, FL.
2nd morning sunrise at St. Andrews State Park, Panama City FL.

Places like these and the friendly folks are why we chose this new life-style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	286445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	286446  

Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
The new ASs also have the new 1-piece roof which I think is a HUGE improvement that I don't think is emphasized enough.

By new one piece roof, you mean they've eliminated the roof "hump" created when they introduced ducted air? Joe
Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
ADA County , Idaho
This thread makes me worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
My Airstream dealer provides full hookup sites on premise. His standard is that you come to pick up your trailer, they have it all set up for you on his full hookup sites. At that point they spend about 3 hours with you going over all the operational aspects of the trailer. You spend the rest of the day and overnight getting familiar with your trailer. The next day you report any issues or problems which are fixed right away. Only after that process is done do you sit down to do the final paper work. Once that's dowe they will hitch up with you, and will do a test drive to verify that brakes and hitching system are properly functioning.

I've bought two trailers from this dealer and find it's probably the best buying experience we have ever had on any RV.

Jack
Just purchased a 2018 Flying Cloud in Idaho and that's not the way it is done here. Now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. Found the trailer we wanted. Agreed on a price. They wanted us to come in the next day to sign "the papers"..........we did (Thought that was the way it was done). Delivery and walk thru scheduled for the end of August (2 weeks later even though the trailer has been sitting on the lot the entire time); partly due to my work schedule (although I could pick it up this weekend), but also was told they wouldn't deliver the RV until my down payment check cleared ALL the banks. I thought that this was a reputable dealer, but now I'm reading that this is not the "norm?" Should I be worried

Nervous in Idaho
Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Peters , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
My Airstream dealer provides full hookup sites on premise. His standard is that you come to pick up your trailer, they have it all set up for you on his full hookup sites. At that point they spend about 3 hours with you going over all the operational aspects of the trailer. You spend the rest of the day and overnight getting familiar with your trailer. The next day you report any issues or problems which are fixed right away. Only after that process is done do you sit down to do the final paper work. Once that's dowe they will hitch up with you, and will do a test drive to verify that brakes and hitching system are properly functioning.
The above is from Jack in post 28 of this thread. In a later post (32) Jack responds to a query of who the dealer is. His response is Bill Thomas Camper Sales. I live in the same county as Bill Thomas' and have been looking at AS for several months. Trying to do my homework, reading this forum and trying to educate myself. This is not my first RV purchase, but my first AS purchase.

BLUF (Bottom line up front): Thus far I have been treated very well and with respect by Bill Thomas' and am very happy. I do wish I had the relationship with the dealer that Jack does!

I was talking to my salesperson about the purchase process. He took the time to explain it to me. I then showed him Jack's post from above. My salesperson said everything was true (and basically what he had previously told me), except, I would need to make the purchase BEFORE I spent the night. Any problems would be corrected the next day, if I spent the night Monday thru Thursday or Monday morning if I spent the weekend unless there would be a part required that needed to be ordered.

I would be permitted to do my own separate PDI BEFORE signing the paperwork, if I so choose. I will be so choosing!

Thank you to all who share their experiences on this forum. It is a HUGE help to this wannabe newbie.

Squire
Fly Navy and Beat Army!