Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I have not bought an AS from a dealer. We tried but after catching them in a few, I will call them inconsistent statements, we told them to give us our deposit back. I hate the haggle in buying vehicles as well. Even though I negotiate for much of my professional career. I find what we want with a lot of online research. When we go in we find what they have that we want, Maureen and I discuss price privately and then we tell them to give us your best price, one shot. If we like it we will write a check and if we don't we will go elsewhere. One salesman told us it wouldn't be any higher than what was displayed, we said goodby. He was apoplectic. But others get it and come back with a fair price.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
we had been negotiating on an Arctic Fox, a brand well known in the PNW and a quality build to boot. 20% off of MSRP was the deal with the equalizer hitch included. but in considering this unit, it just seemed too long for us so i backed away.

as a fluke, we stopped in at an AS dealer in the Seattle area. a great young man showed us around answering all of our questions and then as an aside showed us a 25' FB 2014. there were only 4 2014's left on the lot and they were somewhat anxious to sell these. the interior of this particular trailer was exactly what we had been looking for, bright and cheerie.

so we sat down and the management presented their price. given that i had achieved the 20% on a different brand and we were in no hurry, i counter offered with that discounted price. much to my surprise, your counter offer was accepted.

you never know if you don't try.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Bay Area Airstream

I was working with Christina Bross up in Fairfield, CA. Too my surprise this dealership had far superior customer service than Los Angeles & Orange County. Christina offered 18% off MSRP on a 2015 Eddie Bauer and was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I highly recommend Bay Area Airstream and any of their sister locations (Seattle and Oregon).

Best of luck!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #32
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i should have also mentioned that timing is important. we were at this dealership at the end of one model year and the beginning of the next. it was in their best interests to make a deal on a unit from the last model year. not sure trying to find a deal at this time of year would work as well, but why not try.

we dealt with the AS dealer in Covington, WA. Danny Quintero was our sales contact and a nicer person would be hard to find.

dquintero@airstreamnw.motosnap.com
Old 02-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #33
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Airstream dealers will have their list-prices on their computers for different years and models. I don't know if these are available to consumers.

Also, sometimes there are reasons not to haggle to the max. When our first AS was in an accident, we had no end of difficulty dealing with the insurance adjustor about their lowball estimates to repair a trailer that we didn't think was repairable. We finally got her to agree that we could get an actual AS mechanic to cost-out our repairs, vs. dealing with the adjustor's one-size-fits-all appraiser. It took the AS mechanic a while, but our dealership itemized the (much higher) actual cost of repairs-- that required the insurance company to pay out in full, such that we could buy a new AS.

Under the circumstances, we were very happy with the quality of service we received, and knew we would be taking our AS to them for servicing, as they are our closest dealership. So of course we bought our AS from them and didn't fuss excessively over the price.

(((Airstream of Spokane))).

One other thing we learned was that the smaller used units in good nick are really in demand, so the resale value is pretty good.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I have one word for dealing with dealers: Don't.

Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like. Look for one from a private party; patience is your best asset.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I vote we don't turn this into a discussion of the relative merits of new vs. used. That wasn't what the OP asked. And given that he's a relative newcomer with only 9 posts as I write this, he may not yet have an appreciation for how "thread drift" works.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:

Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like. Look for one from a private party; patience is your best asset.
I agree that you could probably get a better price. On the other hand, when we bought a lightly used AS from Can-Am in Ontario, Canada, it came with a one-year dealership warranty. A bunch did go wrong the first year (like the rear cabinet working loose from its screws & falling out over the bed somewhere in Wisconsin; the roof leaking; and the furnace & one electrical outlet repeatedly blowing fuses.) Everything got fixed at no cost or effort from us.

This wouldn't happen with a private purchase.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like.
You'd still have to pay taxes on a private sale in order to get the trailer registered in your name.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Tread drifting

@Protagonist

Amazing isn't it. The OP was asking about the discount on a new AS. We probably answered this, and more.

I suspect the issue on say a 2014 at this point of the year might be a discount of 30% or more... This especially if the dealer has a model which is not popular. However, getting a "good deal" may be the most expensive way to go, as I found my first AS was one I could not live with and traded up thus loosing lots of money in the process.

So, once again, decide on the unit you want, look for an 18-20% discount. Also, if ordering a new unit, make certain a lot of investigation as to various options is carried out as sometimes the option list is difficult to determine. Some items are strangely averrable only upon one's insistence.

Oh well....
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thread drift...

Like requirements drift in engineering. It's inevitable.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #40

2015 30' International
Apopka , Florida
Dealer Markup

just arrived home with a new 2015 30ft Intl Serenity from dealer in Miss. MSRP 99,228. out the door price including dealer prep fee and installing hitch to new trailer 77,000. about a 23% discount. Hope this is helpful. John
Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Houston , Texas
Does the MSRP on Airstreams include the options or are they additional like vehicles? Curious cause I see on Colonials site listing convection microwave etc as options.

Mike
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #42

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Convection Microwave is an extra cost option and is listed as such on the sticker.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote