Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Dealer Delivery Checklist

I've searched around on the forum but haven't been able to fine a checklist for picking up a new AS at the dealer. You know... things like checking that the fridge works, lights etc. I'm sure there are a bunch of things we won't think of since our current trailer is a teardrop . Since we may well not be able to camp with the new AS until next year... we want to be ensured that everything is working correctly when we take delivery from the dealer.

Can someone point me in the right direction to that all encompassing resource for new AS owners?

Tnx!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
No takers on this one? Suggestions as far as what to check out before leaving the dealership with a new Airstream?

Tnx
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
When you do the walkthru with the rv tech (on how things work, maintenance tips, etc) on delivery of your new Airstream, they usually have you sign checklist of things they covered. It's also recommended to spend a night at the dealer (or close-by campground) to try all systems before you leave for home. If issues arise, you can have them dealt with before you leave.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here is a thread where I talked about your delivery walk-thru.

Delivery inspection.

Expect some minor issues once you get your unit on the road. Usually sawdust and metal shavings or rivits appear to come out from under things. You might find a plastic or wooden button or so on the floor. Those are usually screw covers and you just pop them back into place unless they are not tight. In that case your dealer may need to replace them. Some times you have to look for where they came out of. Save 'em if you can't find where they came from. You will eventually find those uncovered screws.

If you can overnight with hookups, use the shower. It seems to be a weak point, and many of us have had leaks around the shower door.

Finally ask questions. You paid your bucks so don't feel afraid to ask. Look for the circuit breakers, the 12 volt breakers. Have them show you access to the water pump. How to use the water heater bypass, the low water drains. Lots of stuff to see.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
There was a Airstream/Delar Supplied PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).
I spent the night at the dealer and tried everything in the trailer. I had a couple of questions in the morning. Once they were answered I pulled out and headed for my first stop.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'll be picking up my new trailer next week and they want us to stay overnight. That's after the 2 hour "class" they want us to take, not including an initial walkthrough.

I was assuming that we'd stay in a hotel - thought insurance issues would prevent us from actually staying in the unit. But maybe I was wrong - people do stay overnight in their trailer at a dealer?

Cheers,
Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Great! Thanks for the info and links everyone.

Hey Michelle,

Thought you we're looking to buy later in the fall? Congrats!! Did you buy the one in the show room? I'm assuming you did buy from RV Canada in Ottawa?

Ours won't be delivered till the end of September so we'll probably ensure all is working, but won't likely camp in it until next year (Aprilish). Will get a suitable tow vehicle in the spring.

Where are you going to camp for your maiden voyage?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Dave,

We looked long and hard at all our options, and decided on a new 2005 25' CCD in the States (Delaware). We sat down with the salesman at RV Canada here in town and he couldn't touch the price. The unit that's waiting for us is loaded with tons of options (premium a/v upgrade, solar, skylight, bedroom window awning, fantastic fan in bedroom, etc...) - the closest he could get was significantly higher than the price we're paying. Much higher.

So we're going to go pretty soon...!! And we'll have to post pictures of the newest members of the Ottawa Airstreamers once we get our new "babies"...

Maiden voyage? I was thinking of the Wal-Mart parking lot on Innes Road (haha) as it would be the most convenient place to get all the stuff we'll surely discover we need but don't have... But seriously, we're going to take it out to Fitzroy Prov. Park - I'm not that familiar with the campgrounds in our area (having really only been to Sandbanks or along Hwy 7 for the most part), and Fitzroy was the only one with availability on the weekends. Ever been there?

Am also planning a good solid Florida trip though for the spring - Fort De Soto and environs. Where's your 1st trip going to be?

BTW - I loved the picture of your wife firmly esconced on the sofa in the model you guys selected - she looked quite comfy!! Good for you guys!

Cheers,
Michelle
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Wow! I'm surprised they couldn't come close.. RV Canada were able to pretty much match what we would have paid in NJ or CT based on current exchange rates, without having to drive down and do the importing etc. Maybe it depends on the sales guy, or the unit... who knows.

Now did you end up buy in Delaware? Did you check the dealers in London, Ontario, Burlington VT or the CT or NJ dealers?

Glad you'll get to try it out this year! We most likely will just have ouors towed over to hibernate over the winter in storage since we don't want to fork out $$$'s for a tv upgrade just to go camping once this season. (eta is end of Sep).

No doubt we'll be itching to get out camping as soon as the snow melts next spring though! We currently camp about 30 nights a summer in our teardrop. Most of our camping will still be at our favorite campground, Fish Creek Pond in upstate NY (3 hours door to door). Kind of hard to beat that place, especially if you like lakeside camping and canoeing/boating! But we will start to do some longer excusions around Ontario and the eastern states. I'll be looking at getting setup with gear to improve our ability to work mobile.. maybe satellite Internet.

Let me know when you'll be camping at Walkmart on Innes! Its just down the road from our place.. heck we'll be your first visitors even LOL.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Well that was worth the price of admission - I was wondering where all the pros to to camp around our neck of the woods... I'll definitely have to check out Fish Creek Pond - thanks!

My one and only upper NY State camping excursion was at Higley Flow SP, and it was pretty much a disaster. It was in the summer following the great ice storm, and no one informed me when I called the make the reservation that the area was pretty much devastated - we literally camped amongst stumps - stumps as far as the eye could see. Now - I take responsibility for the lack of awareness as well, but we never seemed to make it back for any other camping trips. Live and learn!

Any other good spots to recommend? We were just at Sharbot Lake PP the other weekend and they've got some very nice campsites, especially for tents. Some of those are amazingly private, surrounded by water on a point... I'm not giving up the tent just yet!

As for my experiences with the dealer here - I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that we're getting a 'deadstock' unit, a new trailer that's been sitting there for awhile. The dealer was probably desperate to get it off the lot. Who knows though why RV Canada wasn't able to get closer - I mean they were close to $15,000 off-mark. That's after the exchange and such. Too rich for my blood, merci beaucoup.

You'll have to let us know when your baby arrives - thought of any names for it yet??

Cheers!
Michelle
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
people do stay overnight in their trailer at a dealer?Michelle
hi michelle and campadk...

2 new trailers how exciting!

sure people stay over nite at the dealer...
i spent 4-5 nites at the dealer...
but i'm a slow learner!

not only should you spend the night...
i'd suggest not signing the paperwork until the next morning...
this gives ya time to go over everything...
use everything, open everything, turn on everything...and so on
and if issues are found they fix it before ya sign or leave...

there are painful examples here of buyers,
who signed and drove away,
only to be very unhappy just a few days later...
because of leaks, loose trim, falling doors,
stuck windows, lights not working, loose lug nuts,
broken fans, inoperable a/c and so on...
anyone who's read these theads...
knows now to check everything out...

the pdi checklist is a good starting point.
unfortunately you won't see it until just before signing it!

so campadk and michelle....

i'd suggest asking the dealer to mail you a copy of one NOW,
or get a copy from another new trailer owner.
then you can make notes on it...
ask us questions about the listed systems...
and really be prepared...

the closing is much easier if you are prepared and
take at least one overnight....
otherwise it's a blur

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Michelle,

Hmmm.. not sure about Higley.. never heard of that one. We have camped a LOT at Bon Echo PP, Sandbanks PP, Algonquin PP, Sharbot Lake, Presquile (spello), and about 50% of all the other provincial parks around Ontario.

We discovered Fish Creek Pond SP a few years back and go there most of the time now. It has over 300 prime lake front sites. Best canoeing/kayaking anyway in the eastern US along with access to Saranac Lake right from your site. Last year we bought a boat just to enjoy Saranac Lake. You do have to book well in advance.. its a popular place! We meet a lot of people who have been going there every year for decades!

I run a campout there in the spring. See http://tearuptheadk.com/

I also have a site I am working on for Fish Creek.. see http://fishcreekpond.com/ . There are a ton of photos of Fish Creek on this site and it will soon have site photos which comes in handy when booking sites online.

Next to Fish Creek, Bon Echo PP is our favorite.. 2.5 hours west of Ottawa. Best time to go is when they have the 'Art in the Park' weekend... sometime in July if I am not mistaken.

As far as the purchasing goes.. we were ordering a special 75th edition Bambi which they did not have in stock, so they didn't have to deal with financing and carrying the unit until it was sold. We clearly only had interest in that particular model, so it was an issue of buying something on the lot.

$15K is a HUGE difference! Don't blame you for heading south. Too bad.. I know they are very interested in getting established as the Ottawa AS dealer. It is tough though with the inflated Canadian prices! Like cars the industries seem to be living off the days when the US dollar was worth $1.65 Canada a few years back. We DEFINATELY buy all our groceries (1/2 price) and gas (about 30% less), as well as booze in the US now before we return from camping trips... more than pays for the camping! LOL. Now if only that will pay off the Bambi

Our Bambi has already been dubbed 'The 40 Winker'.. might change.. but we like it. Our current teardrop is called 'The PJ Snoozer' (used to pull it with a PT Cruiser)... get it? LOL. Snoozer for short.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Woha! Almost missed your post 2air!

Thanks for the recommendations! We have lots of time, but I am certainly learning and preparing so we can prevent any issues from happening... we don't always have the best of luck with these things LOL.

A night at the dealer may actually be our only night to camp in it this year too

Points well taken. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the tip about the pdi checklist 2air as well as the sign the next day tip. Good common sense sometimes has a tendency to fly out the window when picking up a brand new Airstream I'd imagine...

And Dave - those sites are great - loved the pictures! You and Kate have a terrific-looking teardrop. Will you be visiting Fish Creek Pond as often with the Bambi (aka 40 Winker)? I see there's no electrical and water - I've got 2 very active little boys, so will probably be looking at places that have the hookups.

Too late in the season now to book anything at any of the area's provincial parks (weekends anyway) so will be booking in advance for next year. I hear Bon Echo is fabulous - can't wait to try it.

Thanks so much for your info and photos. Cheers!

Michelle
Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Michelle,

I'm sure we will still be going to Fish Creek a lot... come to think of it, we're headed back there for 7 days starting this Friday! (weather is looking great too!) With a solar panel or generator power isn't a problem without hookups. We manage fine with the teardrop at Fish Creek. The washrooms are plentiful and very clean so hook up there isn't a must.. Lots of huge travel trailers can be found there.. everyone seems to get along fine without hookups.

Certainly at some of the other places we have been... I'd be looking at using our own bathroom rather than some 'marginal' facilities and will want full hookups.

Once school starts up again, you shouldn't have a problem booking Bon Echo or the like. I'm jealous! You should be getting in a few trips before the snow!
Besides don't forget about Walmart! LOL
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Michele have you looked into storage yet for your new AS? I just got a call from Brian at Echo Farm Storage (North Gower). He is taking in a few new customers.. might have a space or two if you need a place to keep your new baby warm and dry this winter.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
There was a Airstream/Delar Supplied PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).
I spent the night at the dealer and tried everything in the trailer. I had a couple of questions in the morning. Once they were answered I pulled out and headed for my first stop.
Hi - Like to get a copy Airstream/Delar Supplied PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), please help, thanks.
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would thank the best place to get a copy of the current PDI would be from a dealer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Hi - Like to get a copy Airstream/Delar Supplied PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), please help, thanks.
Hi

I believe what is being referred to is the walk through the dealer does when the trailer is first delivered. You go through everything and anything on the trailer together and note anything that looks odd. The ever popular "overnight on the dealer lot" is simply an extension of that process. A number of people have suggested you bring a camera and record the whole thing if it is being done on a trailer you are buying. Lots of details and no other way to get them all stored away. It probably is best to only pop open the six pack / champagne *after* the data dump is over

Considering that this thread is > 10 years old, things may be different now ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote