Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

tucson , Arizona
cotimundi

Since I'm new to this long range search stuff I was wondering about payment and transfer of title for an out of state Purchase and verification of vin # etc. Then If I drive someplace to bring it home do I have to re license it in the state of purchase if it might be 2 weeks before I pick it up or do I have to wait and go to a local dmv to get a temp permit? Guess part of that would be rules in state of purchase if plates must be surrendered at time of title transfer. I've never done a large purchase like a TT or any vehicle at long distance. Are there brokers who will handle all of this at a reasonable cost and reputable. Theres always more to this stuff than a person realizes until the education progresses. Thanks for any input. Love this site. Neale
cotimundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Neale, as you noted it really depends upon the state you are in. They key is getting a title and a bill of sale. If the plates don't stay with the trailer, you would be able in most DMV offices get a travel permit which you would either mount on the back window or secure to the license plate holder. Personally, buying from out of town site unseen carries some risk and I would advise you to either look carefully at what you are buying personally or obtain an inspector to help you. Obviously your vehicle must be prepared to tow your purchase back to you home so pay attention to that aspect of purchasing out of town.

As a new Forum member you might also place your topic of interest into the subject line of your post rather than your screen name. That way you will get more responses to your questions.

On the portal page on the lower right side you will see a search feature to help you find inspectors. These are members from the Forum who are willing to help you look at trailers or motor homes that you might have interest in. Bottom line though I'd still consider you travel if necessary to do the final look.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the input!!! Neale
cotimundi is offline   Reply With Quote