Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We have a friend couple with a 19'. She is a former caterer. She cooks great meals in the 19'.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Caryl: How about a photo of the counter top.

I have a suggestion for the bacon problem. The ready cooked stuff is great. Just heat it up. I do it in the same pan while I'm cooking eggs---either inside on the stove or outside on the Coleman. No Grease Splatter.

Randy Bowman

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We have cooked for our sons' rowing team from our 28' CCD and now our 18.5' Westy. We feed 40-60 people.

The CCD allowed more indoor prep and the oven was great. With the Westy we are more limited.

We use an outdoor griddle that we purchased at Academy Sports and a Coleman propane 2 burner stove.

The Westy is great because we usually get to park it next to the team tent. I have quick access to kitchen tools, sunscreen and the first aid kit. Plus, my own private bathroom.

Last weekend was regionals and we made breakfast biscuits, and, breakfast quesadillas, French toast and paninis. Their big treat was fruit or chocolate smoothies this trip. We boondocked in the viewing area of the 1996 olympic rowing venue at Lake Lanier, GA, right next to our team tents. How sweet is that! Gotta love the semi-stealth camping available with a B-Van.

The two things I miss from my CCD are that great round sink and the oven.

I covered the cook top with a white non-slip cutting board. Be careful and remember to remove it when you use the oven. My first RV only had a micro so I wasn't prepared the first time I used my CCD's oven and I melted mine. We had to buy a new one and they are not cheap!

I agree with the oven option. I have had the micro-convection/no oven option and the gas oven/no micro option. The gas oven is way better. Get some Foldtuk pieces and you are good to go with heating leftovers. I have a teeny-tiny micro now that I rarely use. May take it out for the storage.

Hope you are able to officially join the Airstream fold real soon.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
1965 17' Caravel
mill valley , California
i know this was a super old post, but do u have a photo you could post or send me so i can see how you added this counter space? thank you!
sarahhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
OK here are a couple of pictures, but use your imagination

I am attaching two photos showing the approximate placement of the countertop we used on the door size dinette cushions. What you are looking at is the countertop we used in the Bambi BUT photographed on our new 25 foot AS. So the countertop doesn't fit the 25, but it perfectly fit the Bambi.

Jerry (DH) scribed the back of the board to fit the contour of the interior wall. The front was flush with the cushion. It is a piece of scrape formica countertop that we hapened on at the RV surplus store in Elkhart IN. Lucky for us that the front corners were already rounded and ready to go. We just had to shape the back.

The second shot is looking down on the piece so you can see the cut in the back. My shoes are an extra attraction.

We carried the countertop on the bed when traveling and, when in place, was quite solid and extremely useful.

We are planning to use this piece of countertop for another project, so it is not for sale.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	223388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	223390  

Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote