Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Convince me to replace my Airstream

How much hail damage does your current AS have?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Thinking outside the box.

Perhaps you can contact Airstream to see if they already have one with hail damage you can purchase at a discounted price. I saw plenty the last time I was at Jackson Center. More hail won't make that much of a difference, as it would already be "broken in".

Check the price of a hammered metal sink vs one not hammered; you would actually be increasing the value of your trailer and certainly draw people away from admiring the Terry in the campsite next to you.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
How much hail damage does your current AS have?
Not much. It is because I have a garage. I am having the frame rewelded and the axles replaced this month. I think I will pull the Airstream for about three more years, and then sell and buy a Big Foot when my new tow vehicle is paid for. It will have to be the 21 footer. My garage will fit max a 23 foot trailer. We have covenants.

My joy isnt camping. Did enough of that in the Army. It is traveling to NRA pistol competitions, and pulling my own bed and all my equipment behind me, without having to move heavy gun boxes and ammo in and out of hotel rooms. Also no bed bugs. Im getting old, and my hobby isnt working on trailers.

My husband will retire in 19 months and travel with me. We used to go to Blurgrass feativals and may start doing that again as well.
Isab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Given that use pattern, I think you're right to move beyond the Airstream. As you're finding, that particular 22' model tends to be more trouble-prone than others. Why put up with the hassle of an older trailer?

Olivers are very well made, but rather costly (and surprisingly heavy.) There are some other very high quality smaller trailers on the market. Safari Condo just introduced a 21' model; from what I've seen of their products, they are very well made. (You do have to take delivery in Canada though.) There is also the T@B 400; NuCamp does a very nice job with their products as well.