Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Lake Charles , Louisiana
Considering a used Airstream purchase

We are interested in purchasing a used Airstream Limited 34' triple axle travel trailer. We have been inspecting it and have some concerns regarding the air conditioning. We currently have 37' Itasca motorhome with 2 a/c units. This Airstream 34' has only 1 rooftop a/c unit. We are in the south and it gets really HOT down here. Is one a/c unit enough for a 34' Airstream???? Perhaps the Airstream product design/construction allows for 1 a/c to be sufficient. I know in our motorhome we need BOTH (2) A/C's running when it gets really hot down here. Our concern here is if the 1 a/c on the Airstream will be sufficient. I would appreciate any feedback on the performance of 1 a/c unit with a 34' unit.
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My short answer...ya need a second AC

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post839907
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I also think you'll need the second air conditioner installed. This from experience w/ 25' Airstream in a hot climate.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Hello there... we are also from LC. Our 31 foot has dual AC. We decided when shopping for our AS that dual AC's would be a "must" on our trailer. I wanted to always be able to cool no matter which part of the country it was parked in. Once we found our AS and started using it we found out additional benefits of having two AC units. If the trailer is a good buy I say purchase it and consider putting a second unit in. It might take a work and some $$$ but you will be glad you did...steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you want to be certain and be cool in the middle of the day, or want to be able to cool down a hot trailer quickly, you need a second AC unit.

I have a friend who installed a second AC unit on a 31', and says it's the berrys.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
We have a 15k A/C on our 1999-34' and it is ample for us, our 1986-34' only had the 13.5k A/C unit and it was marginal on a hot day.

Sure there are times when it could be cooler, but we have a couple of the Endless Breeze fans and they move the air around. Also having awning on all sides to completely cover the aluminum is very helpful to keep the interior temps down.

We looked at adding a second A/C unit in the rear, the wiring is easy but adding a drain line was the challenge to get down the side.

Unless you have 50amp service you won't be able to run them at the same time anyway. If you add a second one, they can be wired so the compressor alternates between the two so they don't cycle at the same time for the electrical load.

Don't let the A/C unit affect the trailer if you love the trailer.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That's what shade trees are for. Turn on a fan and take a nap during the heat of the day. Then you can party into the night when it is cool.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I have a 31 foot ASCL with one AC. The main cooling effect of the AC is in it's dehumidifying of the air. One unit on a 95+ degree day parked directly in the sun will not lower the temperature below the mid 80s, BUT it will dehumidify the whole interior and if the fan is left on low the air circulation will keep your sweaty body quite comfortable.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Smile Helpful Tips

We had a 2nd A/C installed in the Bedroom of our 1998 34' Excella 1000 and it has served us well. We had a control put at a position that can be operated while in bed. We had a 12,000 BTU Carrier low-profile A/C only installed w/o heat strip. (We couldn't get a low-profile Dometic at the time, though we would have liked to match the units if possible.)

Cabling was fished above the ceiling to the A/C location. This was easy as we were able to use the existing Fantastic Fan cabling that was original to the Bedroom.

We re-located the Fantastic Fan to the Living Room of the Airstream, running the Fantastic Fan control panel to the location of the old existing fan control on the wall of the living room.

We had to run an additional 20 Amp cable to service the 2nd A/C so that both A/Cs could run at the same time. (You could also replace the existing 30 Amp service panel in the Airstream with a 50 Amp service panel, but we chose to run 2 cables instead. Every 50 Amp campground space also has 30 Amp and 20 Amp receptacles too but not all campground spots have 50 am service. (Note: Don't try to run both 30A and 20A service on a 30A pedestal - Bad Idea.)

Be sure to run a drain hose down from the new rear A/C to under the Airstream. It is a bad idea to let the water to drain out onto the aluminum. It will be hard to keep clean and is not good for the finish.

Our installer did all these things and we are very happy.

Be sure to use scaffolding when working on top of the Airstream so no dents and leaks. All it takes is one misplaced knee while lifting the A/C to create a COSTLY skin repair.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
2nd A/C

Just wanted to know who you had do your install. I'm in the DFW area and would like to have this done as well.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Is one a/c unit enough for a 34' Airstream???? NO
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
One unit can do it but it is always marginal on a 34. We have a single 15K btu unit. The roof is coated with a white, reflective ceramic based coating and we always put out all the awnings--both help tremendously.
We were in Pensacola beach last month when the daytime temperatures were in the very high 90s. The unit was able to keep the trailer's temperature at 78 degrees but it ran non stop all day. For us, the effort and expense of installing a second unit is not worth it.
We have some camping friends with a box trailer that has the single 15K unit on the roof. They bring a 6K btu window unit and put it in the rear window of the bedroom and for them it makes all the difference. Tacky, but it works.