Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
hlo

oxford , mississippi
Considering a '67 Overlander, Advice Needed

Hello, All...

I just graduated and have since been looking for a good camper to live in, so I can pursue writing in solitude. After looking at some, eh, let's say less than appealing fleetwoods, etc., my heart has led me to an Airstream. They have such personality, character, pizazz! But, I know NOTHING about them. That's where I'm hoping some of you connoisseurs can help
I found a 1967 Overlander, and here is what the seller says about it:

LIGHTWEIGHT at under 5000 lbs you can pull this unit with any 1/2 ton PU or anything rated over 5000 lbs. Set up for two people we lived in it for 4 months and got along fine. All appliances are of auto start type.
new stove, water heater, air conditioner, and frig. replaced the bathroom floor and entrance floor. We have had a wet spring with many thunderstorms and NO LEAKS. Memory foam mattress. recoated tub and new commode. Added a 15 gal gray water tank to go with the 25 gal combo tank originally furnished. Nice comfortable chairs we like to read! Good axels with new backing plates and wheel bearings -- good tires and moon discs. Al propane tanks re-certified in 08. A new electric jack
A nice unit ready to go.

He is asking 9,500, but says the price is negotiable. I don't really have a handy man to fix any "major" problems, which is why this one sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I am planning on driving to see it this weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Heather
hlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
First off, welcome to the Airstream forum.

In reading your post I see a couple of issues.
The 67 Overlander came with a roughly 15 gallon black tank. It could be used as a combo tank, but would fill very quickly.
A replacement commode will be taller than the original but should be ok.
All new appliances are nice. Just check the installation to make sure that the trailer was not butchered to install them.
Check the age of the axles, they are most likely shot. I have yet to see a set that is anything over 15 years old that are good.

On your inspection trip, take a long skinny flat blade screwdriver. Open every compartment door and poke around the floor to see of the wood is solid. If the screw driver pushes in easy to the wood it is rotted and needs to be looked into further.
Check the ceiling right in front of the AC. There is a piece of wood on ether side of the door way between the kitchen and the back. Look for signs of rubbing or cracks in the skin. This is a sure sign of shot axles or bad wheels, tires too stiff. There should be load range "C" tires on it.

The dry weight (unloaded) is something like 4500 lbs. The total weight is closer to 6500 lbs. The total weight will depend on how you load to.

See if you can find someone on the forum that is close to you to go along with you for the inspection. It helps to have someone with you to act as a balancing force. Help ground you.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey Heather --- you are in luck! I checked the inspectors list and see that "68 TWind" is located in Oxford and is registered to help with inspections for trailers! You should definitely see if you can get them to help you look at the trailer and assess it's condition. Everyone here is just so gracious and willing to help. I can almost guarantee you will find some very valuable info from them and it can likely save you big $$$$ (if not on this trailer you're interested in, than on another).

Go to the home page of this site, look for the box on the left titled "Airstream Inspectors" and then select State: Mississippi, and select Inspection Type: Trailers Only. You can also select Type: Trailers and Motorhomes to find a few other folks who volunteer to help!!! Then just click on their member name to send them a message, asking for their help.

Really, really wish I'd known about this site (and the volunteer inspectors) before I purchased my almost perfect trailer (NOT).

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

1967 is a good year, I have one too.

Full timing in one might be tricky in winter, if you stay in Mississippi you should be ok.
The older models are not meant to be used in severe cold. (in my opinion)

Be aware of the Suburban furnace in that vintage, it had a recall dealing with the rubber cross over tube that would fail and allow exhaust gases in the unit.

Also, the 66-68 years used Corning curved windows that are expensive to replace.

It would be wise to have an inspector to look over the rig.

Good Luck!

Greg
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, overlander