Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Minya,

Thanks for the PM. We're leaving for the beach this weekend for a week and will be trying out the cot for one of the kids. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
The cot sounds like a great idea. I had thought about getting one of those thermrest self inflating mattresses for the floor, but just haven't done it.
Minya,

We just got back from the Beach. We used the cot for my oldest daughter (age 13) in our 22' CCD so she wouldn't have to share the dinette bed with her sister or mother. She loved it. We placed it with the head right up to the front bed next to the wardrobe and angled it with the tapered foot against the oven. This allowed for everyone to get to the bathroom during the night. The only problem, she is a late sleeper, and that held up everyone from getting their clothes out of the ward in the morning. Other than that, it worked out great.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
First consideration on what to buy is "What will we use the trailer for in the next 5 years?" This tells you whether you want an Airstream for travel or just buy a cheaper SOB to sit in a campground.

Next question is "How many people and animals and play things will we be taking along" This will tell you how much room you will need.

"Do I have the time and expertise to fixup an old trailer? This will tell you whether you are willing to go the Vintage route or just enjoy travel and camping. Unless you value your time at nothing per hour, you can buy a fairly new one with no need for repair for the same cost of buying new parts for an old one and spending hours or dollars getting it fixed.

You Also should consider whether you really want a trailer or a Touring Van (b-van) or a class A coach. It depends on how much traveling you plan vs how much camping you plan to do.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Some random thoughts:

I think one of the biggest considerations is the cost of a new trailer and your existing experience with camping/RV'ing. I consider my purchase of my Airstream a culmination of 30 years of trying just about everything. You never know what you like and don't like, and from my beginnings in my VW van, through tents, pop ups, hard sided trailers, I learned good and bad of each type of vehicle. Unless you are of very good financial means, for first timers a new Airstream is an expensive proposition to learn if you like to camp or not.

Even with all that knowledge we found out some important lessons with our Safari. First it was the first trailer we had ever owned without a permanent dinette. We thought that would be ok. After the first year we thought differently. It was also our first trailer with twin beds. My wife seemed to be overjoyed with that. Unfortunately she ended up hating the curved walls and the way the mattress made her feel like she was always falling off it.

Depreciation hits you heavy in those early years so remember to buy wisely with the future in mind. According to my dealer the small Airstreams have the fastest turn over amongst new owners. Why? Space. On the flip side the smaller trailers are easier to sell, most likely due to their lower price and to those who probably haven't tried 2 people and a dog in a 16' trailer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
First consideration was: How much can I afford to spend in an RV-trailer.

Second consideration: What is the best value holding RV trailer on the market..answer: Airstream.

Third: Does the Airstream I am looking at reflect "pride in ownership" of the previous owner(s)? Did they take painstaking care of the trailer inside and out?

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Thumbs up Our considerations...

We have had a motorhome, a 5th wheel, a teardrop (actually still have it!), and have been camping for 30 years. My husband and I are both retired and now it is just "us". We have noticed that as we age we are less inclined to want to take care of BIG things! And, being on a "limited" (isn't everyone?) income ~ which seems to only shrink in retirement... we wanted something affordable. For the last few years we have exclusively used our little teardrop we have had for over 25 years (1946 Kit) and enjoy it very much. Last year we went nearly 5,000 miles in it! But our consideration grew from the fact that putting on one's pants in a teardrop when you are in the "senior" section... it is challenging. I have loved the little Airstreams for many years and found one on ebay last fall. That was it. The biggest consideration was probably emotional response! However, the little list below probably factored in our decisions:
  • Affordability (we have a 1963 Bambi my husband is just finishing restoring)
  • Perfect size ~ 16 feet. It fits in our garage! No fees for storage!
  • Has a toilet and shower!
  • We can stand up in it!
  • Easy to tow.
  • I can help drive with the smaller trailers ~ our former 5th wheel, no...
  • It is hopelessly cute!
  • Small enough to fit into most campgrounds and down most roads ~ we like the out of the way places. "Campgrounds" next to an interstate with trucks whizzing by and such isn't our cup of tea. Couldn't get the 5th wheel many places... easier to stay in a motel.
  • If my husband were to take ill I could get us home...
  • Did I say it was really cute?
  • The Airstream folks are really, really, really nice! Nice people to hang out with!
Good luck on your article! Airstreams rule!

Mrs. Nor Cal Bambi
Old 06-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

things we considered when buying an airstream

We got our 2005 25 foot Safari Special Edition in January of 05.
These were the things we looked at:

1) not being too big to use in state park camgrounds. Didn't want slide outs - too much to go wrong there.
2)storage the 25 has two wardrobes and better storage.
3) kitchen functionality it has a great kitchen and dinette and pantry and built in microwave. It is so easy to cook in that kitchen.
4) open floor plan (for an airstream that is) which would handle a golden retriever in the camper. Room for a dog bed between the sofa and dinette.
5) Dog friendly - we didn't really see an airstream that would work for us interior decor wise until we stepped into the special edition with the shiny walls. All I could think of was dog hair on the white fuzz on the regular safaris and classic models. I adore the shiny insides.
6) windows - loved the special edition windows which are like the CCD's.
7) practicality of upholstery - never could understand who would want the blue and white decor - the taupes and browns suited us
8) wanted a vinyl floor - no carpet
9) easy to haul - I can tow this thing no problem which is nice for the husband. It drives better than my old popup little camper. You don't know it is back there. We drive with a Dodge Ram 3500 dually long bed big mid-life crisis guy truck (hubby bought the truck before we got the airstream thinking we would get a 5th wheel. At the rv show we didn't see a single 5th wheel that appealed to us)
10) That brings me to the cool factor. We got home from the rv show totally disgusted we didn't see anthing that tripped our trigger. We both looked at each other and at the same time said, "what I really liked was those crazy airstreams".
By the next weekend we bought one. It is just so incredibly cool. It defies logic how it makes you feel. It is like a happy zone for me. We store it in our backyard I love going in it periodically.
11) oh and the audio system - nice to have all that entertainment in the RV when weather is terrible.

I'm counting the days until our next trip we leave for Highland Haven on the 15th of July!

Barbara
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
for our family there are two sets of considerations when buying a used Airstream.

One, is the livability and practicality side;

The floor plan, whether rear or side bath, roominess of the model length, and storage.
The appointments inside, does it have microwave or oven, the heater and a/c functionality, the overall look; is there a fold out table and room for a tv/ stereo.Is it a big enough bathroom to be usable. Can we sit out a two day storm and not go nuts in this trailer?

Two, is the functional mechanical side;

How much interior/exterior restoration, or mods will be necessary to get the unit to our level of expectation?
How much work will be necessary (by me or paid for) on the "mechanicals" from the lp tanks and tongue to the water systems and heater and on and on. How much work is necessary on the visual end; cleaning and or polishing.
Interior upgrades for aesthetic appeal also.
When its a motorhome you add the obvious mechanical issues that may need work here also.

Then I mentally add up the overall costs in labor and dollars of all the above.
The bottom line is if it works for us!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
I'm writing an article for Airstream Life on this interesting topic. I was wondering what things you considered when you bought your last Airstream. Price? Floorplan? Weight? Tow vehicle limitations? This article will try to be a buyer's guide for newbies who never owned an Airstream before and will focus on buying newer Airstreams rather than vintage one's.

Like my last article, I'd love to quote those with quote-worthy comments on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
2006-07-01 Considerations when buying an Airstream

2006-07-01 Considerations when buying an Airstream

Hi Mike,

I am very lucky to have a good friend that has owned lots of ATís to guide me. He suggested that I access the Airstream Classifieds &, access & participate in the Airstream Forums & Club or Rally gatherings. He said to look in local and regional newspapers and to access word of mouth anytime that I could.

He told me to pay attention to Weight of my TV & Airstream trailer & hitch weight, engine hp, Transmission, 2WD or 4x4,and to consider Anti sway and braking devices and number of axels.

He talked about intended use, short or long term, summer or winter or both. Then came sleeping capacity, regular & for a guest or two.

Certainly money was way up on top. With a tow vehicle already in my possession that appeared to be able to do the job; all money would get directed at purchasing the Airstream trailer and the antis-way and braking devices and extended towing mirrors. Plus keeping a reserve for some necessary unknown and un-thought of items and the cost to pick up the trailer and repair or replace unexpected breakdowns or failures near purchase date. Must also keep some money for available campsite rentals.

Gads there was and is enough stuff to think about it could just about make me dizzy. My friend said to make a sensible financially responsible and calculated decision not an emotional decision.

I hope that I can remember that and everything else and follow the rules of acquisition.

Whoa, I thought that this was supposed to be fun.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Tow vehicle limitations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
I'm writing an article for Airstream Life on this interesting topic. I was wondering what things you considered when you bought your last Airstream. Price? Floorplan? Weight? Tow vehicle limitations? This article will try to be a buyer's guide for newbies who never owned an Airstream before and will focus on buying newer Airstreams rather than vintage one's.
Mike
Hi Mike,
I completely agree with Janet's comment way below. I find it amazing how stuck folks seem to be on their current vehicle. They try to tow heavy trailers with their favorite little SUVs, etc. If you are going to spend big bucks on a nice late model Airstream, by all means, get an adequate tow vehicle to go with it.
I learned this lesson not by good advice, but by scary experiences.

My 1st trailer was a 20' Avion. Of course I tried to tow it with my current vehicle, a Ford Explorer. At highway speed, the tail would start to wag the dog causing an unpleasant urgency of the bladder!
I fixed the problem by trading the Explorer for a GMC Yukon. All was well until I upgraded the 20' Avion for a 25' Airstream. More tail wagging dog nervousness. Fed up with this, I went for a Yukon XL with an 8.1 liter engine. Now towing is the almost effortless and pleasant experience that it should be!

Hi Mike - We looked at trailers we could tow with our spare vehicles. A ford exploder with a stick and a little 6.... we've learned a lot since then. Several years later - we've learned an important lesson.....
Tow vehicles come and go - but Airstreams last forever! Buy what you need - not what you can (currently) tow. Janet
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Sevierville , Tennessee
I know you said no vintage...but I have to tell you why I bought an AS anyway. I am 59 yr old single female, and I joined "Sisters on the Fly". The members all have small, mostly vintage, trailers. Because I have to pay for all maintenance and repairs (not mechanically inclined to do them myself), I had find a trailer in really great condition. Also, I had sold antiques for a number of years, and just could not justify putting a lot of money into something that would continue to depreciate. So I bought my 1969 Caravel because 1) It will hold/increase in value 2)small enough for me to handle 3)small enough for my tow vehicle 4)seperate beds front and rear so if I have guest or grandkids, we are not sleeping head to toe 5)and like other listers, it is just so darn cute!!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
1st time buyer Airstream

Hello my name is Bob Mariano, my wife and I are considering buying an Airstream trailer........would like some tips for 1st time buyers? My wife and I like the thought and feature of the Safari 25' FB......with the door in back of the trailer and the idea of a view with the windows around the dinette area when backing into an area such as a lake, woods etc., I also like the layout of the Classic 31' Dinette........has anyone had a solar package installed and was it worth the cost? We would like to be able to be self sufficent as we both like to fish and hunt and enjoy the outdoors.........I went to the Salem show and talked to one gentleman who suggested a catylic convertor as an option with a disconnect feature for heating......as long as we left a window or vent opened for air.........any information and tips would greatly be appreciated......I am considering buying a diesel engine truck....possibly a Cummings for towing......again thanks and looking forward with any tips and suggestions.
Regards,
Bob J. Mariano
Old 07-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Hello and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2dogs

1) not being too big to use in state park camgrounds. Didn't want slide outs - too much to go wrong there.
3) kitchen functionality it has a great kitchen and dinette and pantry and built in microwave. It is so easy to cook in that kitchen.
4) open floor plan (for an airstream that is) which would handle a golden retriever in the camper. Room for a dog bed between the sofa and dinette.
5) Dog friendly - we didn't really see an airstream that would work for us interior decor wise until we stepped into the special edition with the shiny walls. All I could think of was dog hair on the white fuzz on the regular safaris and classic models. I adore the shiny insides.
7) practicality of upholstery - never could understand who would want the blue and white decor - the taupes and browns suited us
9) easy to haul - I can tow this thing no problem which is nice for the husband. It drives better than my old popup little camper. You don't know it is back there. We drive with a Dodge Ram 3500 dually long bed big mid-life crisis guy truck (hubby bought the truck before we got the airstream thinking we would get a 5th wheel. At the rv show we didn't see a single 5th wheel that appealed to us)
10) That brings me to the cool factor. We got home from the rv show totally disgusted we didn't see anthing that tripped our trigger. We both looked at each other and at the same time said, "what I really liked was those crazy airstreams".
By the next weekend we bought one. It is just so incredibly cool. It defies logic how it makes you feel. It is like a happy zone for me. We store it in our backyard I love going in it periodically.
11) oh and the audio system - nice to have all that entertainment in the RV when weather is terrible.

I'm counting the days until our next trip we leave for Highland Haven on the 15th of July!

Barbara
Hello
Old 07-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Hello and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2dogs

Barbara
Hello Barbara

Thanks for all the information on your tips for the purchase of your Airstream, my wife and I too went to an VR show and looked at all the 5th wheels and others toy haul trailes and were not impressed...then we walked into an Airstream and luved the quality and design......do you have the Safari 25' FB .....with the windows around the dinette? A sales person showed us this model because he liked the feature with the windows as youbacked the trailer into an area for the view......never even considered that until he mentioned it..........thanks again......if you have any other tips or advice please let us know.
Regards,
Bob