Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Souderton , Pennsylvania
choosing best model for family

I'm a bit disappointed in the official Airstream.com company web site. While it looks very nice, it's lacking Web 2.0 features I would expect to see, like the ability to compare models, "build my own" trailers to experiment with options and pricing, and learn about things, etc. Every car company does this nowadays...

I'm (obviously) new to the AS world, and would like some advice on good model and option choices for a family of 4. Probably something in the 23' range. Not sure yet what tow vehicle we will be using. We have a 2004 Town & Country Limited AWD but that would not be suitable... probably would borrow a relatives Chevy Avalanche. Kids are ages 10 and 7, so we're looking to get into some serious trips over the next few years.

I really don't understand the differences between the Classic, Safari, Flying Cloud, DWR, International, Sport..... are these all just options/packages? At first glance the Flying Cloud looks nice.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

A 23' International Signature Series will work well for your family. Call Airstream of Arkansas and ask for Gene for what is likely the BEST deal in the country on Airstreams at the moment.

Again...Welcome

Steve

Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Well, for a family of four what not consider a 25 SS model? We traded down from a 30 foot SOB to our 2001 25SS and even though we had to give up the dedicated bunks, my DW and I and our two teenss get along fine - one kid sleeps on the dinette and the other on the pull-out sofa.

Maybe we're spoiled, but after having a larger TT with all the amenties we didn't have a problem giving up the bunks, but could never give up the dinette or sofa. That might not be such an easy choice if your kids are young where according to popular opinion it's best to have dedicated sleeping arrangements (and I agree with this).

Many folks don't like the corner bed in the SS model or the tight bathroom, but unless you go with a larger trailer there's always a price to pay.

Just a thought...
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
Maybe this will help a little

Starting from the entry level Airstream Travel Trailer to the top-of-the-line, the 2008 & 2009 Airstream models are as follows:

Basecamp - Basic Toy Hauler, Ability to Load Small Motor Cycle & Some Overnight Tent camping. (Discontinued April 2008)

Safari Sport - Ultra Light Weight, Available in Floor Plans: 17' & 22' (Renamed SPORT for 2009, 22'Fb Floor Plan to be released in the fall) Popular Options: Awning, 13,500 BTU A/C, Audio Video Package & Convection Microwave. Available in Kiwi, Oatmeal, Stratus and Sharks Fin Interior Colors.

Safari - Light Weight, Traditional Style, Moen Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Discontinued for 2009 model year)

Safari SE - Traditional/Modern Style, Tropical Oak Laminate Cabinetry, Exposed Aluminum Interior and International/Classic Style Panoramic Windows, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Moen Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'SS, 25'A, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Renamed Flying Cloud for 2009) Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Kiwi, Oatmeal, Stratus and Midnight Sun Interior Colors.

Flying Cloud - Fresh New Look, Traditional/Modern Style, Exposed Aluminum Interior and International/Classic Style Panoramic Windows, New Gold Alchemy Laminates, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Moen Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Available as 2009 Model only) Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 22" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Sea Green, Burnt Sienna, Stratus and Midnight Sun Interior Colors.

International CCD Signature Series - Wenge Laminate Ultra Modern Interior, Panoramic Windows, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi, 19' Bambi, 23'D, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Paprika, Cilantro and AquaMarine Interior Colors.

International CCD Ocean Breeze - Very Popular, Ultra Modern Beach Theme Interior, Cork Laminate Flooring, Panoramic Windows, Full Window Awnings, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi, 19' Bambi, 23'D, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom.

International CCD DWR - Light Weight, Design Within Reach Interior, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Nelson Ball Clock, Standard 15" LCD TV, DVD Player, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi (Only 12 being produced for 2009) Popular Options: Solar Charging System, 600W Inverter.

Panamerica - 34' Tri-Axle, Flying Cloud Trim level, Toy Hauler/ SURV available Fall/Winter 2008 as 2009 model.

Classic Limited - High Luxury, Solid Hickory Cabinets, Ultra Leather, Corian, Disc Brakes, Full Window Awnings, Dexter Neverlube Hubs, Delta Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 25'FB, 27'Fb, 30'W, 30' Slide-Out, 30' FB King, 31' Dinette, 34' Lounge, 34' Slide Out Dinette. Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Convection Microwave, 30 amp Power Connection in remote location (Generator Prep) 2nd A/C in Bedroom 30' and up, 40 LBS LP Bottles. Available in Jade, Praline & Cocoa Interior Colors.

There is an extensive amount of information available on my website: www.colonialairstream.com When you visit, You will be able to view: Standard Features, 1000's of photos, Options, Features, Floor Plans, Videos, Virtual Tours etc.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Being in Pennsylvania, Colonial is closer and they have a huge inventory, great website, and knowledable salespeople. I bought my 2007 25' Classic from them . It was a special order and they worked with me to get exactly what I wanted. Probbably the top dealer in the U.S. although I have heard very good things about Airstream of Arkansas and a few others.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Craftsman,

I cannot speak for Colonial since I have not purchased from them. I have however purchased from Airstream of Arkansas, and had them do restoration work on my 75 Ambassador. When reviewing prices, it always seems that AOA is an amazing value. I know Westfalia from Colorado, and Wheel Interested in Michigan both made the trip to AOA for their latest trailers.

Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Patrick- Thanks for the concise review of the current line up.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
That is really goo info colonial, Thanks. clears up issues I had. I came to this thread for info and got it
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I tend to agree. However, if you all have noticed, there is no longer a Safari or Flying Cloud Six Sleeper. This appears only to be avail in the "International"/ CCD versions. It's a shame cause that seemed to be a very popular unit...I know I love mine.

I can't see going smaller with a family of four. I do fully realize that in some cases folks need to upgrade tow vehicles once you start to get to the 25ers, but the space, storage, etc, just can't be beat. I know I may sound like a broken record here, but there is about 3 feet less of interior living space because Airstream measures the length from hitch to bumper, taking away about 3 feet of actual living space. My 19' had only about 16 feet of interior space, my 25' 11" Safari has really only a bit more than 22 feet of living space, so a 23 footer might only have 20 feet of living space, but it's also not a widebody, which the 25 foot models start.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
After camping a year now with 2 adults and 1 child in a 25' FB International, I would recommend at the very least 25 feet of trailer.

Spend lots of time at the dealer on multiple days. Take the whole family and "park" yourself in a few of your favorites. Take brochures with you and spend as much time as you can inside at various points in the trailer. Sit in the shower, sit on the pot, lay on the bed, open and close the shades etc. You'll get a real feel of what you should buy once you spend hours in your favorites.

That's what we did. It made for some sweaty days in the hot August heat. Maybe you can find a dealer that has some with the AC running?

Let us know what you find.

ps. Welcome to the Forum.

-yakman
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Happy Medium

Hi, yeldarb. I would think that a 23'er would be a little bit small, but workable for some. A 25'er is the biggest of the small trailers and the smallest of the big trailers; therefore the best compromise in size and price. Also can be safely towed with a properly equipted 1/2 ton pick-up or SUV. Read all that you can so you don't have do it twice or more when spending your hard earned money on a trailer and tow vehicle.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Hi Yeldarb
You're lucky you found this forum before purchasing. We made many costly mistakes prior to finding the forums.
Read as much as you can...there are a lot of VERY knowledgeable guys and gals here.
Your extra lucky you're so close to Colonial with its mega inventory. Try them all out and DO NOT buy the first time out...it's very easy to "fall in love" with what you think is the perfect trailer only to discover you should have compared a few more units. Go bigger than you think you'll need...read enough posts and you'll notice how many people trade up only after a short time camping.
Good luck!
Dennis
Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
JNM

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Holland , Michigan
Question about Slide Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Starting from the entry level Airstream Travel Trailer to the top-of-the-line, the 2008 & 2009 Airstream models are as follows:

Basecamp - Basic Toy Hauler, Ability to Load Small Motor Cycle & Some Overnight Tent camping. (Discontinued April 2008)

Safari Sport - Ultra Light Weight, Available in Floor Plans: 17' & 22' (Renamed SPORT for 2009, 22'Fb Floor Plan to be released in the fall) Popular Options: Awning, 13,500 BTU A/C, Audio Video Package & Convection Microwave. Available in Kiwi, Oatmeal, Stratus and Sharks Fin Interior Colors.

Safari - Light Weight, Traditional Style, Moen Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Discontinued for 2009 model year)

Safari SE - Traditional/Modern Style, Tropical Oak Laminate Cabinetry, Exposed Aluminum Interior and International/Classic Style Panoramic Windows, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Moen Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'SS, 25'A, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Renamed Flying Cloud for 2009) Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Kiwi, Oatmeal, Stratus and Midnight Sun Interior Colors.

Flying Cloud - Fresh New Look, Traditional/Modern Style, Exposed Aluminum Interior and International/Classic Style Panoramic Windows, New Gold Alchemy Laminates, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Moen Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 19' Bambi, 20', 23'C, 23'FB, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W (Available as 2009 Model only) Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 22" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Sea Green, Burnt Sienna, Stratus and Midnight Sun Interior Colors.

International CCD Signature Series - Wenge Laminate Ultra Modern Interior, Panoramic Windows, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi, 19' Bambi, 23'D, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom. Available in Paprika, Cilantro and AquaMarine Interior Colors.

International CCD Ocean Breeze - Very Popular, Ultra Modern Beach Theme Interior, Cork Laminate Flooring, Panoramic Windows, Full Window Awnings, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi, 19' Bambi, 23'D, 25'SS, 25'FB, 27'FB, 28'W Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Fantastic Fan in Bedroom.

International CCD DWR - Light Weight, Design Within Reach Interior, Recessed Halogen Lighting, Nelson Ball Clock, Standard 15" LCD TV, DVD Player, Elkay Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 16' Bambi (Only 12 being produced for 2009) Popular Options: Solar Charging System, 600W Inverter.

Panamerica - 34' Tri-Axle, Flying Cloud Trim level, Toy Hauler/ SURV available Fall/Winter 2008 as 2009 model.

Classic Limited - High Luxury, Solid Hickory Cabinets, Ultra Leather, Corian, Disc Brakes, Full Window Awnings, Dexter Neverlube Hubs, Delta Filtering Faucets, Available in Floor Plans: 25'FB, 27'Fb, 30'W, 30' Slide-Out, 30' FB King, 31' Dinette, 34' Lounge, 34' Slide Out Dinette. Popular Options: Audio Video Upgrade Package W/ 19 or 23" TV, Convection Microwave, 30 amp Power Connection in remote location (Generator Prep) 2nd A/C in Bedroom 30' and up, 40 LBS LP Bottles. Available in Jade, Praline & Cocoa Interior Colors.

There is an extensive amount of information available on my website: www.colonialairstream.com When you visit, You will be able to view: Standard Features, 1000's of photos, Options, Features, Floor Plans, Videos, Virtual Tours etc.
I like the slide out feature, but it only comes with the Classic Limited. Do you know if the slide out feature will be used with other models?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
JNM

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Holland , Michigan
Slide Out

I like the slide out feature on the Classic. However, I like the look of the other models (CCD, etc.) Will Airstream put the slide out feature on other models?