Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

1948 19' Trailwind
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Rock Springs , Wyoming
Caution scam

BEWARE OF campbellbana313@yahoo.com
This man offered to purchase my airstream. He tried a scam on me and I read similar stories on the internet with this same name. He tells you he wants to buy your trailer ( or whatever) and then makes you think he put money in your paypal account. He then needs money sent to the person who will pick up the trailer (Steven Thorn, Wilmington CA) via western union. His excuse for needing the money sent by the seller is that he is working oversees and he will put the additional amount in your paypal account.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
That's the "Nigerian scam" right there. Beware if anyone ever asks you to accept more than exactly the amount you're owed in the transaction at-hand.

If you stop there, with that cardinal rule, you won't have to worry about anything more than losing the merchandise - which they rarely want anyway.

The item being "sold" usually never gets to the scammer - it'll go to a dummy address or the victim will figure out that they've been scammed prior to mailing the item or the other party won't show up to pick-up the item.

But, by then, the scammers have what they really want - access to your money / accounts.

Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

For Canadians, this is the central clearing house for all online fraud complaints. Take the time to make a report and save someone else the headache of loosing a bunch of money.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #4

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Sarasota , Florida
Good to know. Thank you. I just received this e-mail and I am very wary of these scammers out there.

Thanks for the quick response and I'm satisfied with the condition of the Airstream, i will love to make an instant purchase because i'm buying this Airstream for my dad as a gift, I'm located in Fremont, California, but due to my occupation as a U.S. Military base and camp in Afghanistan and i will be here for a while. I am buying this Airstream for my dad as a surprise gift. I really want the Airstream to be a surprise for my dad by not disclosing the Airstream until the delivery is made to him, am sure he will be more than happy with the Airstream. I don't mind adding an extra 50 for you to take the advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the Airstream, l will offer you the amount required and i can only pay you through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online (i don't have internet banking with it), but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, all i will need is your PayPal money request or PayPal email address to make the payments and i will be happy to pay PayPal charges, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 5mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so i can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.

My Best Regard
Sgt. Soloman Johnson
Hi e-mail address is : solomonjohnsonn@googlemail.com <solomonjohnsonn@googlemail.com>; Beware of scammers
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like leading on and playing with these scum, just to see how far they will take it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I like leading on and playing with these scum, just to see how far they will take it.
While that sort of thing might be entertaining, it is seldom beneficial. It won't help get the scammers arrested, and will not keep them from victimizing someone else who isn't as savvy. In fact, you may be helping them to refine their scam, making it more difficult for the next potential victim to recognize it as a scam.

Best thing one can do with a scam like this is to take all of the information you have to your local FBI office, let them pursue it farther, and just forget about it yourself, secure in the knowledge that you weren't a victim.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Metairie , Louisiana
Thanks for posting. I have also been contacted by sgt Solomon Johnson with identical wording. After sending a PayPal request for money he sends a subsequent email claiming he is having trouble paying his agent and wants to add the agents fee into the PayPal transaction. I'll forward to the FBI as suggested
Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlt2009 View Post
Thanks for posting. I have also been contacted by sgt Solomon Johnson with identical wording. After sending a PayPal request for money he sends a subsequent email claiming he is having trouble paying his agent and wants to add the agents fee into the PayPal transaction. I'll forward to the FBI as suggested
Welcome to the AirForums! If I may ask, why wait three years to make your first post?

Anyway, always glad to "meet" a fellow Metairian (is that the right word?). Feel free to PM me if you want to meet for real sometime.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
i got an identical message from "Sgt. Solomon Johnsonn" glad I saw this...I was suspicious, and good to confirm that others got the exact same.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
I have my Land Yacht listed for sale in classifieds on the Forum, and I have gotten several questionable messages from "potential' buyers.
watch out for any of these...I do not believe they are genuine offers..\
solomonjohnsonn@googlemail.com10/28/2012 7:31 AM

<atjeffrose@austin.rr.com> On Feb 26, 2012,

jeffymcdolls@yahoo.com Sunday, August 19, 2012, 4:19 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
A previous message on this list suggested to send (forward) any suspicious message to the FBI. Here is their contact info...FBI &mdash; New E-Scams & Warnings. Here is the address to forward e-scams to: spam@uce.gov I hope that everyone who has been scammed thru here will do this! Laurel
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
that web site did not come thru correctly...try...
www.fbi.com/scams-safety/e-scams
Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Thanks for the update....I'l keep a watch.