Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Can you custom order from Airstream

I'm trying to find an AS to sleep 5 (2 adults and 3 kids), but I have a new TV with somewhat limited towing capacity. I would love to renovate a vintage safari or trade wind 'twin' since they have the room and are light ......but I have 3 kids (meaning NO TIME). So....it is possible to custom order new with the necessary supports for bunk beds? I have read older posts that state if an airstream was not ordered with the option the shell isn't structured to support the weight. I don't see any information in the AS brochures or web page about options. Frankly....I don't have a lot of confidence that my local AS dealer will be much help, but I will check with them. I thought I would ask here in case.......
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Seems to me that you should contact them directly.
http://www.airstream.com/company/contact/
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
If you're looking for a NEW custom Airstream these people can do it:

Timeless Travel Trailers
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You must go through a dealer at all times. There is no such thing as ordering from the factory and then picking up like Saab used to do. Wait ... no more Saab. So much for that business model.

Really, you must go through a dealer for changes like this. The factory may impose a $500 or larger change order cost. Airstream dropped the 30' Bunkhouse model about 5 years ago but you just might be able to talk them into dredging up the parts (or not). Over 43 thousand views for the Safari 30' Bunkhouse thread alone -- paying attention there Jackson Center? (thank you for reading this! )

Be very skeptical of maximum sleep capacity. I've seen my 25' FB Safari (now Flying Cloud) listed as sleeping 5 and I sure can't figure that out. Maybe four. Five if your children stop growing at age 8 or 9.

Back 5-6 years ago they used to sell a "25' Six-sleeper" with a back corner bed like a 19' Bambi, a roadside dinette (2 kids) and an under-the-front-window gaucho (2 kids). Misnomer if ever I heard one... Maybe for one or two summers at exactly the right ages, given the right gender distribution or personalities.

Good thing is that a decent lightweight 2-person tent can be set up outside for the more independent minded kids. But be prepared to accommodate them inside during rainstorms.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro
I'm trying to find an AS to sleep 5 (2 adults and 3 kids), but I have a new TV with somewhat limited towing capacity. I would love to renovate a vintage safari or trade wind 'twin' since they have the room and are light ......but I have 3 kids (meaning NO TIME). So....it is possible to custom order new with the necessary supports for bunk beds? I have read older posts that state if an airstream was not ordered with the option the shell isn't structured to support the weight. I don't see any information in the AS brochures or web page about options. Frankly....I don't have a lot of confidence that my local AS dealer will be much help, but I will check with them. I thought I would ask here in case.......
These guys may be worth investigating; they are north of AS factory and may take on AS project work as they restore AS trailers.
http://www.pandstrailerservice.com/
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If you are concerned about Towing weight but have the bankroll for a new trailer, you might want to consider a restored vintage rig or even pay to have one restored. New Airstream are much heavier than older ones. Several models from the 60s had 2 twins, a bunk and a fairly generous front pull out that slept two. A fully rehabbed model could have new systems, a gray tank added and come in a couple thousand pounds under the weight of a new AS.

What is your towing capacity?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I wouldn't waste my time with a new custom one. Will have all the same problems. Get yourself an older lighter one and have someone make it to your specs. Looks like there is already a suggestion here.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
Airstream will do customization on the assembly line. However it is fairly pricey. When I ordered our trailer in 2009, each item customized would have cost $500 plus the cost of the job. I doubt it's any better now. As mentioned above all the details would have to go through a dealer.
Also as mentioned above, there is a business near Denver, CO called Timeless Travel Trailers. www.timelesstraveltrailers.com/ They will do just about any sort of customization and make sure it is engineered properly. I think a good scenario for you would be to find a slightly used late model trailer that you like and tow it to Denver and have them make whatever mods you want. hope this helps some.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I think timeless travel trailers is the only people that the factory will sell an empty shell to. I am a bunkhouse owner and would like a CCD version of it. You could also find a 2019-2010 Panamerica and put 4 bunks in the rear for the kids.

We have 5 girls and we travel very comfortable in our bunkhouse for two week trips.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
I think timeless travel trailers is the only people that the factory will sell an empty shell to. I am a bunkhouse owner and would like a CCD version of it. You could also find a 2019-2010 Panamerica and put 4 bunks in the rear for the kids.

We have 5 girls and we travel very comfortable in our bunkhouse for two week trips.
Airstream also sells Inland RV Center, an empty shell for customization.

They won't do it for just anyone, as you must be able to adequately demonstrate that you won't create something that becomes a big liability.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I have a 2011 Toyota Sequoia 4.7l v8: towing capacity of 6,900 lbs; tongue weight of 690 lbs; gcwr 13,000lbs. The tongue weight is the biggest issue. I could probably squeak by with a mid 90's 25' on towing except the tongue weight is 700lbs dry. Anyway....thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I've spent hours reading posts about towing capacity and talking to other sequoia owners, and I've decided I really don't want to push the limits.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

When I was a teenager (15), we used to camp in a 15 foot trailer with 2 adults and 4 kids. However we didn't spend much time in the trailer. Thee was a double bed across the back with a bunk over it. I slept in the bunk. My parents slept in the bed. The three younger ones (8,6 & 1) slept in the front dinette made into a double bed.

Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
That is my thought as well since we will really use the airstream as a tent with a bathroom. I don't anticipate spending much time in the camper during the day, so I don't mind being tight. Plus we won't need a large camper once the kids are grown.

FYI: To my surprise I received a call first thing this morning from a gentlemen by the name of Tom at Airstream. Very nice man, but the answer was "not an option from airstream".

I think my last option to pursue and research is finding a smaller late model airstream and having it modified and/or have a local company (I'm thinking a company that makes the fabric/aluminum canopies you see on many businesses) fabricate an aluminum bunk bed frame that can sit on the floor and not require hanging from the shell.

I'm not giving up dang it. I want an airstream!

Jason
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
That is my thought as well since we will really use the airstream as a tent with a bathroom. I don't anticipate spending much time in the camper during the day, so I don't mind being tight. Plus we won't need a large camper once the kids are grown.

FYI: To my surprise I received a call first thing this morning from a gentlemen by the name of Tom at Airstream. Very nice man, but the answer was "not an option from airstream".

I think my last option to pursue and research is finding a smaller late model airstream and having it modified and/or have a local company (I'm thinking a company that makes the fabric/aluminum canopies you see on many businesses) fabricate an aluminum bunk bed frame that can sit on the floor and not require hanging from the shell.

Jason
That sounds to me like an excellent plan. It would be great, especially if it folded up like a cot.

I have an almost twin bed size cot made by Alps that I bought from Sierra trading post.
ALPS Mountaineering Camp Cot - Extra Large - Save 32%
It obviously is not bunk bed height, but something like that with longer legs or leg extensions might be possible.

I use mine when I visit my daughter. In the day, I just undo the end bars, lash the two rails together and lean it against the wall.

Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro

Jason
The PanAmerica bunkhouse conversion can be seen here:

http://blog.firstascent.com/2010/03/...ate-road-trip/

We have ours as Flex-Space for extra living space or "Bug Out" gear if situation came to that need. There were only 19 PanAm's made by AS.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Timeless can start with a new shell from the factory, a late model or a vintage unit. The late model with mods is the most cost effective way to go. We have a client with a 1962 Airstream for sale with three single bunks and a double gaucho. It was a factory custom back.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
The PanAmerica bunkhouse conversion can be seen here:

Behind the Scenes: Designing the First Ascent Airstream for the Ultimate Road Trip

We have ours as Flex-Space for extra living space or "Bug Out" gear if situation came to that need. There were only 19 PanAm's made by AS.

The Eddie Bauer First Assent unit was built at Timeless from the first Pan America.
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote