Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We bought one from pics and floor plans only. Sold it a month later. Bed was too small and so was the bath. Somehow that 19 footer looked a lot bigger than it was.

The trailer was exactly as described and in perfect shape.

Make sure you and the trailer fit each other before buying. Lay on the bed, sit in the bath, move around inside. It'll save you some serious loot.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello... I saw our Argosy at 11pm on the classified here and we had bought it by 7:30 am the morning... the price was right 1500 and we were able to see the swan that she has become... previous owner sent lots of pics and and the rear wraparounds did it...Now you know why her name is Costalotta.. because that it what she is worth to us... everything redone and the way we want it...

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We went to look at our Argosy before we actually put down any cash money. In spite of pictures and descriptions, there were issues that weren't really disclosed, but most of them were fairly minor and didn't disuade us from buying. It was not really camper ready as advertised as the water heater leaked like a sieve as a result of improper winterizing, but that was fixable, and it was fairly clean but had a few body issues (which we expected, given it's age), and there were a few other minor things that we didn't see until after we actually owned it. Also we found the kitchen sink tambours trashed, which had happened after we saw the pictures, but then again, minor. All in all we were not displeased with the trailer. Still, I don't think we would have bought sight unseen completely tho we did go with the intention of bringing that trailer home unless it had really major flaws when we finally saw it. We did buy it from a forum ad, but I don't think I would have bought sight unseen from either Craigs list or Ebay.
Jim and Sandy

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Our first Airstream

We bought our first one on Ebay with pictures, phone conversations and emails and I would never do that again nor would I recommend that anyone do that. We also saw several trailers in person that were not as represented. Perhaps some things are in the eye of the beholder but excellent condition to me does not mean totally trashed and dirty (the seller's explanation is that she let her son's friend live in it---yuck).....I got seduced with the one on Ebay because it looked great....alas, it had rear end separation and a rotten rear bath floor and needed new axles......Knowing what I know now, I would expect most 40 year old trailers would have had some leaks that could cause a rotten floor and would need new axles....not necessarily a reason not to buy but should be factored into the price that one is willing to pay. Wishing that you have a good experience. paula
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #19

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We bought our present one after seeing it advertised on this forum. I called the fellow - really nice guy - and he had good answers for all my questions. So we agreed on a price and I sent a deposit. Then went across the country to finalize the deal.

We also sold our first rig through a contact on this forum. I feel like I am dealing with friends when buying or selling to fellow members.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fulltimer, so...wherever road takes us! , On the road!
Same question here! I think I have found my perfect AS, but would like some experienced assistance in kicking the tires. I keep reading posts and articles about using local volunteer inspectors, but I don't see anywhere to contact these folks. Any guidance out there?
MissDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Power to the People !
1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164

On the main portal page on the right side is a link to search for AS inspectors in your area by type (trailer, MH, Argosy, etc)

Good luck,

Happy Trailering !
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I printed off a Winnipeg Kijiji ad in the last week of October, 2008. At the time we were still deciding on "if" we were serious about upgrading from a 15' fiberglass RV... When we did decide in March of 2009 to buy an AS, I called the ad I had printed off after looking locally at some 'junkers'. The seller couldn't figure out where his ad was running of course and there was 2' of snow on it when I called - he asked me to call back in the spring. I had read the AIR forum all winter and had learned a LOT!

The AS we bought (in our profile) was from this ad. Pics he sent were high quality and thorough, he was selling because they upgraded to a 34' and he was a local business owner with a very good reputation for honesty and integrity. He was able to describe all maintenance and repairs done and said he was willing to refund our $ if we were not satisfied with it. Of course I wouldn't bank on a verbal promise of a refund, but I figured a worst case scenario would be to not be happy with it and just simply sell it for either what we paid - or take a loss. That's the chance you take... If it had been a fixer-upper I would have taken it to an RV dealer for an inspection.

I went with my instincts and the trailer is actually in better shape that we expected. No regrets whatsoever!
Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
We Did It At Least Twice!

We bought what we like to call our "gateway" Airstream, a 1974 Tradewind, from a very nice couple in Washington. It was listed on a RV website. They were very honest and sent enough photos so that we could make a somewhat informed decision. They even assisted in making arrangements to have the wheels replaced, brakes worked on and the bearings repacked at our expense. We bought our third Airstream, a 1962 Safari on eBay. The images looked horrible since the seller hadn't taken the time to thoroughly clean it before taking the images he posted for the auction. We were the only bidders! It turned out that it only needed a little bit of tidying up-the Zolatone was perfect, ll of the original window coverings were present and just need to be relined and have a few drapery findings refastened. The stove and refrigerator were pristine and look as thy have never been used. All of the systems work! Inside one of the drawers was a file with all of the original brochures for the appliances and systems. The body was straight and without a dent AND the axles were good!

We've been fortunate but feel that one should always trust their instincts.

Good luck in your search,
Gemma and Murray
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
yes, and we picked it up half way. got home and hooked it up.
both ac's bad, both batterys bad, brakes worn out. owner said everything worked fine. stuck us good. never buy if you can't plug it up and check it out first. some peoples word is not worth 2 cents.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up

I found my Bambi in an ad on the RV Trader website, it was being sold on consignment by a dealer in New York State, 2,500 miles away. I made an offer based on looking at the photos.

Soon I was on my first cross country road trip in over 20 years. I visited my brother in New Jersey, and waited out a snow storm before picking up the trailer.

On returning to Arizona I found that the water heater tank had been frozen and was cracked. The dealer offered to pay for having the water heater replaced, but I suggested that if they would send me a replacement tank I could change it in the time it would take me to take it to a dealer and return.

Not having unreasonable expectations, overall I was happy with the purchase, if I wanted a perfect Airstream I could have bought a new one.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
The two main problems that I have run into with buying with pictures / seller's description are the fact that pictures hide a lot of blemishes, and different people have different ideas about what certain subjective words like excellent, fine, like new, etc. mean.
A seller can have the best intentions in his description, but not have the same ideas as you about what is acceptable.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Rock60, did you call the owner and tell him you got the green weenie.

(Definition: Green weenie, a weenie in a can of weenies left in a boat in the heat for months and the owner not taking time to look at the bottom of each weenie before eating)

Now that would make me really mad.....I would go back and see him I think.

Robbie R.

Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote