Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dad View Post
Finally decided to sell my new Air Stream Classic . Wife and did one two month trip out west & throughly enjoy ou r travels. My farming operations have improved so much it is taking up the majority of my personal time during the growing season that it forces me to camp during the colder months.. if you like to camp in winter more power to you I prefer not to for many reasons.. it comes with a 4 yr transferable wannty . The AS is housed in my barn out of the elements . If interested please contact me at 434-363-5892.. or confedrr@gmail.com
Thanks, but I know that a used Classic will be more than we want to spend. Good luck to you!
ASdreamteam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
We definitely backed away from this sale, even though they've continued to call and try to persuade me ; )

I know I previously said no to the FC30 bunk, mainly b/c of the bathroom situation. But after looking at SOB's, we are realizing that an all in one is much more common, so we need to adjust our priorities. I noticed that PPL in Houston has a 2015 FC30 bunk. Any thoughts on this? We are about 4 hours away, and have family and friends there, so we could definitely go look at it much easier. I was actually hoping to find someone on this forum to check it out. No one that we know in Houston has experience with Airstreams, or even travel trailers for that matter. Assuming it is in good condition, what do you think would be a good offer for something that is 4+ years old?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
"I noticed that PPL in Houston has a 2015 FC30 bunk. Any thoughts on this? "

Yes, two words...Hurricane Harvey. Buyer beware.
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
"I noticed that PPL in Houston has a 2015 FC30 bunk. Any thoughts on this? "

Yes, two words...Hurricane Harvey. Buyer beware.
Oy yep I completely forgot about that. Is there no way to check if something was flooded?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A couple of observations:

First, somebody who only used the trailer three times and then got rid of it is *very* unlikely to have taken care of any issues on the trailer. The "all the stuff is fixed" thing is very dependent on just how attentive the PO was. In some cases ... not so much. You now still have the this and that, but not much (or any) warranty to cover them.

Second, don't ever buy one of these without seeing it first. There is no way to know what they are lying to you about. Sorry if that seems a bit nasty, but nobody ever presents the bad stuff in their sales sheet. This is a big pile of cash and you very much need to see the item. If you can't get over to it to look at it ... pass on it. Buying one of these used pretty much always involves extended road trips. That's just the way it works.

Third, don't decide on a trailer without having "tried on" multiple models. There is no way to know what fits your needs without spending time in several alternatives. This does not mean a quick look at an RV show with 8 billion people in the trailer with you. It involves hours of sitting in one and then another of them and seeing what will work for you. Since models don't change a whole lot, you can look at new ones even to sort out a decision on buying used.

Fourth: A price is only good or bad once you fully know everything about the RV. A 2018 with hail or flood damage will have a very different price than one in better shape. Dealers are in business to make money. They are all pros and know the market very well. They are going to price things right at the top of the market. If the price is low ... I'd bet there is a reason why .... (yes, it could be that they are going bankrupt ... maybe not a good sign ....)

Fifth: Some dealers run a process where the price is low, but there is no way to actually buy at that price. It's essentially a scam. Each add on item pops up one at a time. None of them are to big taken alone. By the time you are done and add up all the "mandatory fees" ... gee ... that's another $11,000 ...

Lots to think about....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
I would run a Carfax on this unit, it sounds like it has been wrecked in some sort of manner. I’ve never heard of any dealer charging this much in prep fees. If you’re not careful you could get stung on this one. I think I would look elsewhere for a trailer.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASdreamteam5 View Post
I've been in talks with a major national RV dealership for a 2018 airstream. They are claiming barely used, 3 trips. But they obtained this on a trade-in, they aren't an authorized Airstream seller. And they want to charge me $1,400 in dealer fees (not including the $299 documenting fee) to get it ready and inspect, etc.

I know not all dealers charge this fee, but some do. I just feel like it's a very high number, and also question how knowledgeable they will actually be on final inspection/walk through with us if we agree to purchase and go to pick it up.

Should I hold off and keep looking for one from an authorized seller? I've called Airstream about the VIN, and it's had only a couple of minor warranty claims since purchased in March 2018.

We would also be purchasing sight unseen, which i know, you all do not recommend. I couldn't find anyone local to inspect it, and it's a full day's drive for us.

The price for the trailer is good, but these added fees are putting us a bit over what we want to spend on a used unit. We are very new to this, so any input is much appreciated!
I’m selling my 2019 Airstream Sport 22FB, warranty good until Summer of 2021. We have only used it once since last June (2018). $50k. Located in Scottsdale AZ. Let me know if interested by sending a PM.
Aerodmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
CHANDLER , Arizona
Same happened to me on a 2016 23fb. I figured the lost warranty, my lack of knowledge and the relationship with a local dealer and bought a new 2018 for $7000 more with better financing than I could find on a used one. I also had to travel 1000 miles to get the used one.
dgsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A couple of observations:

First, somebody who only used the trailer three times and then got rid of it is *very* unlikely to have taken care of any issues on the trailer. The "all the stuff is fixed" thing is very dependent on just how attentive the PO was. In some cases ... not so much. You now still have the this and that, but not much (or any) warranty to cover them.

Second, don't ever buy one of these without seeing it first. There is no way to know what they are lying to you about. Sorry if that seems a bit nasty, but nobody ever presents the bad stuff in their sales sheet. This is a big pile of cash and you very much need to see the item. If you can't get over to it to look at it ... pass on it. Buying one of these used pretty much always involves extended road trips. That's just the way it works.

Third, don't decide on a trailer without having "tried on" multiple models. There is no way to know what fits your needs without spending time in several alternatives. This does not mean a quick look at an RV show with 8 billion people in the trailer with you. It involves hours of sitting in one and then another of them and seeing what will work for you. Since models don't change a whole lot, you can look at new ones even to sort out a decision on buying used.

Fourth: A price is only good or bad once you fully know everything about the RV. A 2018 with hail or flood damage will have a very different price than one in better shape. Dealers are in business to make money. They are all pros and know the market very well. They are going to price things right at the top of the market. If the price is low ... I'd bet there is a reason why .... (yes, it could be that they are going bankrupt ... maybe not a good sign ....)

Fifth: Some dealers run a process where the price is low, but there is no way to actually buy at that price. It's essentially a scam. Each add on item pops up one at a time. None of them are to big taken alone. By the time you are done and add up all the "mandatory fees" ... gee ... that's another $11,000 ...

Lots to think about....

Bob
Thanks Bob, this is all great advice. We completely backed out of the deal and have slowed the process down. We plan on going to the nearest dealer sometime in the next few weeks, and also check out SOB’s just to get a feel for what we like regarding space/floorplan.
The problem I keep going back to with SOB is that I know they don’t hold up. I don’t want to spend 25-35k on something that will lose half it’s value in just a couple of years and fall apart in the process.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
I would run a Carfax on this unit, it sounds like it has been wrecked in some sort of manner. I’ve never heard of any dealer charging this much in prep fees. If you’re not careful you could get stung on this one. I think I would look elsewhere for a trailer.
I tried but carfax didn’t have the VIN. I called Airstream and they had some records of some minor warranty repairs, nothing unusual. I’m thinking carfax doesn’t work for travel trailers.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My gut tells me you may be happier with a new unit. Do not buy sight unseen.
If you come to Atlanta, I will be happy to help you...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Couple of thoughts for you to consider.

First, there are volunteer Airstream inspectors here who will check a trailer for you for a fee. There are a couple in the Houston area. You can get more information on that by clicking on the link on the first page here.

Second, since you are not all that far from PPL, you could go over yourself and see what the unit looks like. If it looks good to you, you could pay the inspector to do a better check.

Third, Houston PPL will NOT move a unit from where it is parked to a place with electricity or water until they have a signed purchase agreement. No exceptions. Don't know about the other two stores. New Braunfels is a LOT smaller operation. Haven't been to the other one yet. I suppose you could try to do a deal that would allow you to have the inspection done after you agree to a price with a provision that any repairs would be at seller's expense.

Fourth, PPL is mainly a consignment place, so the seller, not PPL, is setting the price. That may or may not be a realistic price. Also, condition of the unit varies, from pristine to awful. PPL pushes sellers to set a low price in order to move the units quickly. I just got a flyer from them that said they sold 2000 units last year. They require the deal to be completed in seven (7) days, so your inspector will have to be almost ready to jump as soon as you call.

They are NOT at all high pressure when it comes to buyers. You check in at the front desk and tell the receptionist what you are looking for. You will be given a map with that area marked and a list of everything in that category (motor homes, travel trailers, fifth wheels, etc.) and the price of each one. If what you are looking for is some distance away someone on a cart will take you out there. Just call for a ride back when you're ready. You may not ever meet a sales person unless you are asking a question about something or want to make an offer.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASdreamteam5 View Post
I tried but carfax didn’t have the VIN. I called Airstream and they had some records of some minor warranty repairs, nothing unusual. I’m thinking carfax doesn’t work for travel trailers.
Hi

None of the usual damage / accident tracking systems work reliably on trailers. They simply are not something that anybody "worries about". One could wonder about the "why?". Like it or not, that's the way it works.

Even on cars, with things like flood damage, there is no guarantee it will show up on a trace. With no police report and no insurance payout (on a likely un-insured vehicle) nobody has an incentive to feed the data in .... Indeed the guy selling the car has a major incentive to *not* have it on the record.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
I just traded in my 2018 Basecamp for a used 2017 Bambi Sport 22fb. What I liked about going used for the larger model was that the "shake-out" likely already occurred. With the Basecamp I had to go back and forth to the dealer 4 or 5 times before it was finally dialed in.

The Sport hasn't been to the dealer once since I bought it and it has been camping me up and down the Northwest for months now.

I certainly inspected everything and made sure everything worked before I left the dealer. I don't mind hanging out at the dealer for four hours and going through everything.

Though I bought the used one from an AS dealer there wasn't anything particularly special about their final walk through. The tech was nice enough but he didn't provide anything more than what any RV dealer with decent customer service would do.

I saved about 10 grand from the price of a new one and that includes a comprehensive after market warranty. Admittedly I felt better about buying that from the dealer.

I don't care what charges they include to make up the final price. if the final number works than the deal works. It is fun to see which of the numbers in their line items can be tweaked. Google as you haggle.

My recommendation is to see the used unit and inspect it. If it passes muster negotiate the following:
A comprehensive warranty- they generally have some wiggle room on the price-Google the plan

Have them pack your bearings if applicable.
Good to know when they were packed last and this way you know.

Have them throw in the incidentals- it may already have all that stuff (sewer hoses, wheel chocks, etc)

I am pretty darn happy with my choice to go used. Same exact model as the 2019! I even threw on solar with the money I saved!

Either way, enjoy the quality time with the family in your AS.
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Roads , Louisiana
I'm replying once to all the recent comments, didn't want to quote each individual one.

All great info on PPL, thanks so much. This particular model is a 2015, and part of me wants to get something used but more recent. Although from what everyone is saying, the major depreciation has already occurred on something 4 years old.

Thanks for the info on the carfax reports, we definitely know we can't rely on that to provide us with history on whatever we end up going with.

And Glampman, I love your screen name! We've never owned or traveled in a travel trailer before. My parents own a Tiffin, and we've met them on vacation before, but stayed in a rental and just visited them at the rv park. That's literally the only experience we have. My husband has been reading the Airstream book I bought on Amazon, and we've both been reading a lot on the forum. We have 3 young kids, but we are older parents and financially have the means to invest in an Airstream. Used seems like a good idea, so that in the event that we don't really enjoy this type of travel with the kids after a few years, we should be able to sell and not lose a lot.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
New, used, regardless. You are buying a land yacht. It is a high maintenance, item that takes care and injinuity. Ah, the joy of care and injinunity. I love this perspective.”A Normal amount of imperfections for the year“ This is where the airforums comes in. Read, talk visit. Always “Try before you Buy”. Spend a couple of nights in the unit at an RV park where it is fully hooked up. You will find those imperfections. Even with a pretty close inspection, our 2007 Classic 27FB has imperfections. From some left over rodent visits, to water damage to the floor. We own her and our full service dealer, Airstreamland, (aka A to Z Motors) is doing excellent work. On the road in March for SW USA!
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
London , Ontario
To buy or not to buy?

We have truly loved learning about Airstreams! Our first was a 1960s Caravel, then a 1968 Safari and our new and improved 2005 bunkbed model. We did put a down payment on the trailer and drove a long way to verify all the due diligence that we had done prior to our arrival. So with the long checklist we completed the search from top to bottom, made sure all the equipment worked, saw the service work sheet and met the family we bought the trailer from. We also used the experience of other AS owners (via the phone) we know to finish the inspection process. We did purchase and brought the trailer home. We love our trailer. We could not have afforded this trailer from a dealer hence the long drive. So it is possible to buy using other methods. I might also suggest that you connect with a local airstream group. They know so much about the AS, dealers and also many times there are people getting out of Air Streaming and wanting to sale their trailer and even the TV. Good information on how well they have taken care of the unit etc…. We wish you the best with your search!
winnie1932 is offline   Reply With Quote