Old 09-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
This summer, my sweetie & I took the following trips in our 27 FB:

1. 9K miles, 6 weeks to the natl rally, in WV, & then to the NW rally, in MT, with lots of other sites in between & coming & going.

2. 2K miles, 2 weeks to two OR rallies on the OR coast followed by a trip to the Northern CA coastal redwoods.

We routinely stay in both private & public RV parks/campgrounds & have never had an issue with the 28 ft length of our 27 FB. Yes, some parks have been full, so we've had to look for another, but that was because no space was available, not because our 27 FB was too long.

I should add that before getting our 27 FB, I spoke with a long-time AS owner/sales manager at an AS dealership who told me that he chose a 25 over a 27 because he spent most of his time in his AS boondocking on BLM & in other forest areas, & because of that, he was reluctant to get a trailer longer than a 25 for fear that he would be unable to drive a longer trailer on narrow, twisty, one-lane forest trails.

Alta & Richard, Seattle area --- WBCCI 8877
"Aurum": 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel
"Argentum": 2016 AS FC 27 FB
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"Megan" (aka "LittleDog"): F Shih Tzu, 15 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Wondering if you, the original poster here, got a trailer and if so what size?

Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
Thanks everyone for your input and knowledge. You've confirmed a lot of our suspicions and gave us some new things to think about, like considering 28' too. We're not afraid to travel to get what we want and flexible enough to go with what turns about to be the best deal. We know we can get by to start with our Tundra, but when it comes time to buy a new truck in the next year or two I suspect we will pursue something with more payload,and will give more thought to the idea of considering diesel. Will post what we end up for both a trailer and tow vehicle.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Fish Creek and Many Glacier campgrounds in Glacier Natl Park have numerous sites that even my 25 might be hard getting into, either too short, too narrow or not level enough. Fish Creek I used Google Satellite and the site description to reserve a site. Many Glacier opened up a reservation system this year and I was able to reserve a long enough site. On both of these I had to park the truck behind the trailer as I had to back into the pull through sites to get the trailer's rear entrance door to line up with the campsite area.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #46
Currently Looking...
Des Peres , Missouri
Buyer update:
Drove from St Louis to Kansas to look at a 2005 28ft Classic
For some reason this trailer looked massive in both length and width
It weighed in at 6800 lbs and didn't appear to be maintained very well
We passed mainly due to weight
It also had pretty good hail damage that did not appear in the photos
Our TV is a 2014 Ram ecodiesel
The search continues
Looking for a 25 with twin beds
Let me know if anyone wants to sell theirs
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I pulled a 8,000 lb. 30 ft. Classic with my TV that is about equal to you TV and had no problems. I now pull a FC 26 U with the same TV and am really happy. My TV is a 1500 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 engine.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We finally went with a 30'. Long extended trips 12 weeks or more, my wife and I, two Labradors, one 65# and one 80# who will not be left at home. We do not intentionally boondock, we stay in private campgrounds for the most part, often KOAs as they most often have great fenced dog parks.

In my opinion as noted by others YOUR style or anticipated style of camping and the tow vehicle you are comfortable with should dictate which AS you end up with. You can always switch - we are picking up our forth on Tuesday, this time a 30' -2017 Classic.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote