Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Buying new: options to consider?

Hi there! We are considering buying new 2017 int signature 25fb. I'd consider 2015+ used model but I cant find one that's a better deal than the discount we got from the dealer (68k).

We are at the top of our budget with the sticker price on the base model. I was wondering is there any option that you would consider a must, right away?

I'm thinking mainly of things that are also make more sense to get from the factory. I'd love solar panels but I thinking we can install after market when we have the cash. Thoughts?
Bambii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
The roadside awning package will help keep the trailer cooler.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Your choice, oven or convection/microwave oven. I would go with the convection for a new trailer. Definitely feel the awnings all the way around are worth the $$$. Many seem to be going with two ACs these days with the new configurations. 16 inch wheels with truck tires are also a popular upgrade.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yes, awning package is a good choice but it can still be added later if it pushes your budget now. The new models now include the inverter. Another update others perform is switching to 16" rims and Michelin tires vs the 15" Goodyear Marathons standard tire.

First item to purchase after delivery is a tire pressure monitoring system for your trailer tires. If you have a blowout it can tear up the wheel well of the Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 11-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
If ordering new from the factory absolutely definitely get the awing package. Why? First you should be easily able to get a substantial discount off MSRP for the optional awnings because you are buying an entire trailer at the same time. Second, Airstream charges a flat fee to ship the trailer. If the awnings are already attached to the trailer, there's effectively no shipping. If added later you'll have to pay shipping and dealer installation (and probably full MSRP) which might add over $1,000 to the price. Finally, awnings are one of the most effective ways to keep the trailer cool, use ours all the time.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Yes, consider the items that can't be easily installed after-market. Not sure if you need it on a 25ft but items like a 2nd ducted A/C is not easily done outside of the factory. On your setup I would consider the awning package that provides a rear and roadside awning that really helps keep the trailer cool on sunny days.

I feel items like solar, 16" tires, and convection microwave can all be done for the same or cheaper costs aftermarket or better options are available.

Not sure if the 2nd TV in the bedroom on the 25ft is extra or not but I I thought on the INTL it is included. This requires some thought if its not included. Airstream charges a lot of money for the extra TV as compared to what you can buy a TV for but it includes some items you wouldn't think about such as the TV securely mounted on an movable mount, 20ft+ of HDMI wire ran from the DVD player, and a powered HDMI splitter. Snaking the HDMI wire behind all the appliances wouldn't be bad but I don't see how you'll run up the wall behind the dinette to the DVD player without a lot of effort and hassle.

Did I forget any factory option? If so let us know and we can comment.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Good points about the awning. I really hadn't thought of the fact we'd be saving a bit from factory first go around.

Anyone have thoughts on backup cam? Is it worth it? We're new to towing and it seems like a good investment... 😬

I feel like all these extras are going to add up. Wondering if we should consider the 23 again. At the same time I really want to buy right the first time and have it for along time. We plan to live in it 3 months a year on the west coast.

Decisions...
Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Since you're ordering from the Factory, have them make the wheel openings larger to permit later-to-be-added 16" wheels and Michelin tires. I don't suggest ordering those wheels/Michelins now, because it's an $1,800 upcharge with no credit for the 15" rims and Goodyear Marathons than are OEM.

Yes, the 16" rims tires will fit anyway, but with very little clearance. The factory widens the wheel openings slightly when a customer orders the 16 inchers and Michelins.

P.S. Go with the 25'. With plans to live in it three months a year, you won't regret it.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
As far as factory options I recommend convection microwave and the hydronic heating if you can get Airstream to it on that International model. Mostly anything else is not too much more to add later.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
Anyone have thoughts on backup cam? Is it worth it? We're new to towing and it seems like a good investment... [emoji51]

I feel like all these extras are going to add up. Wondering if we should consider the 23 again. At the same time I really want to buy right the first time and have it for along time. We plan to live in it 3 months a year on the west coast.

Decisions...

Ah yes, the backup camera is great. Get it if you can afford it but it's not required as the same one can be added after-market for just a little more for installation. See if your dealer will honor the price of the camera after-market if you buy it within a year.

Stick with the 25ft, it's one of the best trailers. Maybe consider a Flying Cloud vs INTL if you are looking to save on costs. We moved from a 25FC to a 28INTL SIG, the SIG is nice but doesn't come with any need to have's. The 25FC have some nice new trim packages that were not an option last year.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If I could keep only two of the options on our 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB, they would be the 16" Michelin LT tires, and the street side and rear awnings.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We are also going to buy an Int'l Sig 25 FB in the spring. We are renting a 2016 25FB first from Haydocy Airstream because have never slept in or pulled a trailer. We wanted to try it out for a week. I am also trying to determine whether the Alde system will be available on 2018 25 FB models (it currently is available on the 2017 Classic only) but no answer to this question so far. We determined that a 25FB is the right trailer for my wife and I for 15-20 day trips. We like the long lounge and do need need the larger bathroom on the 25 B model. The options we are considering are:

1. Awnings
2. Ultrleather oyster
3. Back-up camera

For us the propane oven seems appropriate and we will carry a small microwave in our TV. Regarding solar, we have determined to do this aftermarket and buy a larger system than the one offered. We will not be using the trailer very much in the summer so will not get the second A/C. Although we live in PA, we are considering storing the trailer in Georgia (perhaps near Savannah) for the winter months and use it as a base to travel to the south and west. In the spring and fall we will bring it up north. Let us know what you decided to do.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Buying new: options to consider?

Going to the dealer tomorrow 😬 I will get the skinny. If you don't mind me asking, how much were you quoted for the international 25?

Again, it's a large purchase and I'm really trying to think it through. I'm sure we'll have to get tow mirrors and anti-sway bars too. Everything really starts to add up. Although I guess this is still more affordable than moving to the west coast.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You should be able to buy a Flying Cloud with every available option and substantial money left over than an International, which is the same trailer with different interior trim level.

Unless they have an Int'l they are trying to get rid of for some reason.

The 25's come in two different configurations, front or rear bed. Take a look at the rear bed model in a practical sense while you're there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
I know your right. I just really fell in love with the open modern interior of the international signature. All that yellow in the FC, I really don't like it (personal preference). I'll see if they have a landmark sandpiper- maybe that one looks more updated...
Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Wondering if we should consider the 23 again.....Bambii, my suggestion is DO NOT. There must have been good reasons in the first place as to why you chose a larger size....and those reasons will not go away by purchasing a cheaper 23 footer. If you do....you'll be looking longingly at every 25 ft that passes you....at least until you'll buy one yourself. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Another vote for roadside awning package. What a difference on hot summer days.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
All good advice here. I would definitely consider going to the Flying Cloud so the cost benefit could get you the backup camera (wouldn't be without it if you're new to towing like me) and then the awning package. Much easier to get this done on the original purchase.
Personal preference, but my wife liked the lighter interior color of the FC. This year there are different choices on the interior wood on the FC.
And if you're spending three months straight in it? Definitely 25!
Have fun!
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Let's see, here a short list of changes that you will need to do to get the best use out of you AS,

16" Tires and Rims--$1800.
4 Stage Boondocker Converter and Gage --$400, (AS converter are Junk)
2 Lifeline 6 Volt AGM Batteries $700, 5 yr warranty , (the Interstate Batty 1yr warranty that AS put in will not hold up for what you want to do).
Honda propane generator--$1800
Hitch set-up to tow AS with, $500 to $1500 (do not come with trailer)
Driver side and back awning package --$2200 installed.
Solar Package-- $2400 (installed by AS)

And the list can go On and ON, don't get me wrong, AS makes a great trailer but there are a lot of hidden cost that goes with it. If you have already been a camper and you should have all of your camping gear, if not add another $1000 to $2000.

Yes, you can find someone other than AS to do the work and might save you some money, but by the time you piece mill it out it just not worth it, if AS does it then you could get some type of warranty.

Happy hunting.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambii View Post
Although I guess this is still more affordable than moving to the west coast.
maybe ur monthly note will be rent on a single in San Bernardino, or a closet in Malibu. You'll find that just bouncing around the Left Coast drains the bank rapidly. Being part vagabond and part not (homebody with a sense of adventure), even with a fully paid off Class B, it was cheaper just to rent a place.

I've been in Cali 36 years and I can tell you every square inch is spoken for.

This purchase is all about enjoying the luxury comfort AS brings to the road, not so much an economical alternative to actually living here
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote