Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Buying New 2008 Leftover

Thinking about buying a new 27ft FB that is a left over from 2008. Is the going discount still in the 25% off MSRP or are people doing better than that now? I realize that the 2010 will be out in a few months. What do you guys think? I'm trying to just pay the lowest price out the door for this 2008 model without regard to future service by the dealer. I've been reading old threads but haven't seen anything recent on this subject so that is the reason I'm asking. Just looking for an update and your thoughts on purchasing at this time of the year and this economy.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Up to you, but I would think 2-3 year old models close to what you want and 50% or more less than your 08 could be found. It will however be much more work than buying from your local dealer new and a higher degree of risk regarding potential repair expenses.

We bought our 04 in 08, it has traveled over 20k miles with few issues and less than new units from stories I have heard. Unlike new cars, new streamers CAN have lots of little trips back to the dealer. We bought it for over 50% less than he paid. Really a value and I doubt I would buy new. Most steamers are taken care of. So if you have the time and energy, the savings can be well over 30k. Good luck
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I am in agreement with "safari 28", but of great significance would be the condition of any used unit. This forum helps a lot, but talking to Airstream owners about condition issues is of great value. Owners are much more interested in talking about condition than revealing the price they paid. Good lick in the hunt.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Airstreams are NOT the "investment" most dealers will say they are. True they can outlive an SOB if well maintained, but I recall two dealers telling me this was an investment purchase. I can promise you that you will most likely NOT make a profit selling a pre-owned Airstream similar to that of taking the money and really investing it.

For example. The first 3 years of ownership, the units loose on average about $4000/year (some have lost upward of 5k). The 2010s will be out in the Mayish timeframe and that puts this unit squarely at 2 model years old and possibly up to 3 years old depending on when it was build (2008 model years started being built Mayish of 2007).

Typical discount off MSRP is 19%...some get more, some get less.

Depending on model and features, whatever you do, I would not pay or accept anything less than 25%. I may want closer to 30% and if they said no, I'd be more than happy to buy a similar unit, that was pre-owned in which you would clearly be able to get the deal as Safari 28 did.

Here is an example:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...4&limit=recent

This unit out the door most likely was about $65k. As you can see it's lost about 4k depending on when it was built.

Here is a dealer's pre-owned:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/preowned/8670a.html

This unit was most likely between $75k and $85k unit out the door, now for sale asking price about $62k, in reality it's maybe a $55k unit provided it has no corrosion on the outside as many do. At 3 model years old in a few months and between 2 and 3 years old, you can see how quickly these can fall these first 3 years.

My unit was special ordered and it is about 5.2 years old (built 12/03 as an 04). It has lost on average $3400/yr for the past 5 years now based on what I paid (including trade in at the time) vs what similar units are currently selling for today.

Where does this money go you ask? It simply evaporates as depreciation.

This is a total and outright buyers market. There is NO reason to overspend or rush in here at all, of course, unless you want to.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Of course, don't foget to take your write off as a 2nd home. It helps with the purchase price. I would be looking for 25 plus % off an o9 and think it could be had......maybe even more. These things aren't like say buying a new Honda .....fit and finish varies. Look over any newer unit carefully!!

Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
The bloated MSRPs scared us away from talking to dealers. We went ahead and bought our 2006 in 2008 from a private party and couldn't be happier. The unit is near new with the kinks worked out and extras thrown in. The prior owner took the initial depreciation hit, plus we were able to avoid dealer prep fees and a huge chunk in sales tax since it was a private party sale.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We bought our 2005 25FB new in June, 2006, as the 2007 were about to be introduced. The best we could do at that time was 23% off of sticker, but that was in a much better economy. I would think that you could do better today.

Here is another piece of advice about buying a new unit. Spend a whole day examining every facet of the trailer that you are planning to buy. Also try out all of the operating systems. This will save you several trips back to the dealer for minor adjustments and repairs.

During our inspection we spotted a slight ding in Lucy's left side that had been done during delivery or when moved on the lot. We almost missed this on the inspection. The dealer offered us three remedies. 1. reduce the price by $2000. 2. Replace the panel. 3. Provide as with a brand new Hensley Arrow. We took number 3, and have lived with the dent.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks everyone!
Some of the things you guys hit upon I had not thought of and will give this considerable more thought before going ahead. My current trailer is in good shape but I would just like to get a larger one at this time and most likely sell my old one. I've just been out of the circle of dealing with dealerships and the new model trailers and what people are paying these days. I now at least have some good guidelines to follow while pursuing my hunt for a new coach.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote