Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I figure that PERHAPS, come the near end of year this year, I could troll around for 2012 or 2013 models sitting in lots and perhaps find a deal....that is a possibility...perhaps for some of those bigger discounts are possible...

We shall see I guess...

Is there like NADA price for new/used models?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think there is an Airstream dealer in Anniston.

Perry

Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I figure that PERHAPS, come the near end of year this year, I could troll around for 2012 or 2013 models sitting in lots and perhaps find a deal....that is a possibility...perhaps for some of those bigger discounts are possible...

We shall see I guess...

Is there like NADA price for new/used models?
We bought a 2007 in 2009 from old dealer inventory at 25% off. Could have ordered a new one near 15% off.

The old inventory isn't in a box stored away. They're out there on the lot every day with tire kickers and door slammers going through them; some are taken to rv shows for lots of this.

They also are exposed to weather and electrical use. Our batteries and converter were shot in a year, the tires and seals had aged in the sun, and the trailer shell/frame had been exposed to winter road salt, so had corrosion. And there are two years depreciation right away. It was a great trailer but we paid too much.

You need considerably more than 25% discount on these to make these a better buy than factory fresh, but most probably won't get it. Knowing what I know now I would look for a 15 year old model that's been stored indoors and proven by thorough inspection to be lightly used (hard to find but the best deal out there if you do), or order new (you've got to use it more than weekends, vacations to make financial sense of it).

doug k
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Our first AS was a used and abused 1977. We did a bunch of work, had a great time and didn't lose money on it. We got tired of fixing things and wanted a dinette. After much research we purchased a used 2005 in 2005. We got a great deal and when we traded it in we got almost what we paid for it after using it for 7 years.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Knowing what I know now I would look for a 15 year old model that's been stored indoors and proven by thorough inspection to be lightly used (hard to find but the best deal out there if you do), or order new (you've got to use it more than weekends, vacations to make financial sense of it)."

The 15 year old route is kinda what Ive always been dreaming of finding...something in pristine condition...but it seems it would need to have been kept indoors for this to be the case really...

I could live with a trailer that had plenty of interior wear...just so as long appliances were good and no leaks, floor rot, axel problems, etc....

Im baffled at this point....

Part of me would enjoy just buying a brand spaking new one...it would work out...for the next 4 years it would drain at my "spending budget" a fair amount....but after that we will be out of a bunch of debts and that payment will be next to nothing no biggie for us....(I grew up dirt poor, so I say this with much happiness )

Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
As you know, a bunch of this depends on the use. In some ways, a 15-yr old trailer that's been routinely used and well-maintained could be better than one that's tucked away in a barn somewhere.

You need the discount on a used one to make the hassle worth your while. Each deal will be different.

Take my deal as an example. My 2007 stickered for $54k in 2007. I paid $32k in 2012. A new one would have cost me $61k minus a 15% discount, so figure $52k.

There wasn't really $20k in savings. It needed $2500 of repairs, but a big chunk of that was an oddball problem (a cracked fresh water tank) along with batteries and tires.

But I'm still considerably ahead after the debugging. I didn't lose much functionality from a brand new one, and my upgrades (beyond the repairs) have further enhanced the trailer. Similar trailers in the Classifieds here have retained their price.

I've seen other folks here with similar stories, including the retreat from the constant work that equals vintage ownership that I left behind.

But yeah. I fully admit that you could find a sweet 10-year-old trailer that doesn't need much. It all depends on the condition and deal. It makes this both exciting and frustrating.

Finally, like Doug said, if I were to upgrade and it boiled down to paying (for instance) $50k for a used 25FB twin or $55k for a new one after haggling, I'd pay the extra money.

Tom
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Hilliard , Ohio
My wife and I went through the same decision making. We were leaning one way but then in the end we went the other way. We found out very quickly what we wanted as soon as we started going inside these trailers and stopped looking at pictures. I guess being inside them made it a lot easier to visualize how we would enjoy them and what we prefer.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Hilliard , Ohio
My wife and I went through the same decision making. We were leaning one way but then in the end we went the other way. We found out very quickly what we wanted as soon as we started going inside these trailers and stopped looking at pictures. I'm all about research, but I guess being inside them made it a lot easier to visualize what we prefer.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
thansk Jeff...we will be up visiting my in laws in NJ in july...we are going to go to colonial AS there and look at a bunch of models, lengths, etc....perhaps that will begin to give us a better idea....

Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh and yeah, Anniston AL had a dealer that had been listed under the airstream.com site..."dandy RV" - but they no longer list for some reason..I spoke to the service department there a minute ago and they said they are not sure if they are technically approved for these repairs anymore...im going to email AS now directly perhaps and get an answer....otherwise It will be (if I go the dealer route at all) one of the couple in missisippie ("foley" something or the other as I recall) - or a dealer in ATL - or perhaps just go to colonial AS cause my in laws live in NJ....

Ill be visiting colonial in july just to browse and consider models.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just an update folks!

After speaking to my wife today in great detail about the possibilities....she is VERY excited. This can include any of the options discussed, including brand spakin new and by christmas if we decide

Not that I will ultimately go the brand new route, but point is, I have a green light to all possibilities....

Before this conversation I was not sure how she would react entirely when presented hard numbers...I handle the budget, and we can do it comfortably no problem, but still...was sort of worried...no need to worry though

Im kinda tweaking right now with the idea of a brand spankin' new AS for christmas....oh this is dangerous