Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Buying from afar...

Hi, new member today. Have been following E-Bay and dealers all over the country, to get an idea of prices. However, the idea of buying a trailer on E-Bay is daunting to me. I have read in other sections of the forum that you should spend hours going over the trailer and also spend a night in it to make sure it all works, not signing papers till all is OK. The logistics of this - especially if one bids on E- Bay - seem impossible.

I saw a trailer I liked at a CA dealer's web site (I live in New Mexico), and just wonder how one buys long distance. I do see there are people who will go out and inspect listed on this web site, which is great. But if that was the case, would you then buy on the inspector's say so?

Also, we are planning on buying a tow vehicle after the trailer so we get something appropriate. It's not like we can drive to our local dealer (we have one 20 miles from us) and pick it up.

So logistics advice is what I am seeking.

Thanks to all.

Nancy

PS - we like the 23' L lounge, and have a "buy" window now to next April or May. We do need to find a used one.
Plan4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
There is a Classified Section on the top of the page you can click on to view some being sold from people on this forum. This will at least give you a starting point and a price range.
Another thing you can do is contact an Airstream dealer and ask them to keep a look out for someone trading a nice unit in or selling one thru them on consignment. Have them call you when one arrives at their dealership. If it is a really nice trailer it will usually sell in a couple of days, so be ready to travel to the dealership you ask to do this service for you. If you call several dealerships and ask them to keep you in mind your chances might be a little better of finding what you want.
I have never bought one long distance so I can't help you there. There is a dealer about 35 miles from where I live and several in other parts of Texas.
People seem to find some nice slightly used units in the Arizona area. At least in that state hail damaged or flooded units should be less likely.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Nancy!

We were initially looking for a pop up, then a new Airstream, then after viewing them, both online and in person we fell in love with a Vintage model. It took us one year plus of searching everyday. We found ours many many miles (1100 round trip) away and it was worth every mile, the trip was an excellent adventure in itself. We put the word out we were looking for an inspector on this website to go and look for us, we were contacted by someone who had first hand knowledge of the unit and had given us a good idea of how nice it was. We then decided after talking to the sellers on the phone that it was worth the trip. It was just meant to be that we would find her, and we are still in the "honeymoon" stage. I would recommend you see the unit in person before you purchase.

Check out this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...per-57939.html
Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nancy
If you cannot REACH OUT and TOUCH the Unit in the Ebay add in a days drive. FORGET IT. As far as dealers,Id trust em about as far as I can see em. Not only are there Classifieds here,but there are also VOLUNTEER inspectors that will go out and inspect for you and let you know whether is safe to travel across country to do a personal inspection. Ours was on ebay and the classifieds here. We lucked out it was less than a 100 miles each way so we were able to see it first hand.
GOOD LUCK with your search.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan4Travel View Post
Hi, new member today. Have been following E-Bay and dealers all over the country, to get an idea of prices. However, the idea of buying a trailer on E-Bay is daunting to me. I have read in other sections of the forum that you should spend hours going over the trailer and also spend a night in it to make sure it all works, not signing papers till all is OK. The logistics of this - especially if one bids on E- Bay - seem impossible.

I saw a trailer I liked at a CA dealer's web site (I live in New Mexico), and just wonder how one buys long distance. I do see there are people who will go out and inspect listed on this web site, which is great. But if that was the case, would you then buy on the inspector's say so?

Also, we are planning on buying a tow vehicle after the trailer so we get something appropriate. It's not like we can drive to our local dealer (we have one 20 miles from us) and pick it up.

So logistics advice is what I am seeking.

Thanks to all.

Nancy

PS - we like the 23' L lounge, and have a "buy" window now to next April or May. We do need to find a used one.
Hi, this could be a gamble, especially sight unseen. A volunteer inspector would be a lot better than no inspector. I bought my trailer from out of state, sight unseen, but I bought it from an Airstream dealer and it was a new trailer. It was in line for production when we bought it, so nobody saw it for months. Would I go on an inspectors advice? I think most dealers or sellers tend to paint a prettier picture than I would if I inspected one for somebody, but I would only be able to look things over. No wheels would be pulled, no appliances would be tested, and the trailer would not be towed. So some trust would have to be with your inspector and/or seller.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
There are more Airstreams in your state than anywhere I have ever been. You cannot find something local to you? I know New Mexicans do not use for sale signs much, so just go knock on some doors. You might meet some fine people that way.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
I had good luck searching the online (not ebay (lots of scams)) and found a nice unit (see link)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f306...one-41844.html
Be prepared to inspect or have it inspected and to move quickly as good units dont last.
The classifieds here are a good place to educate yourself on price and condition
Best of luck
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I think closer is better. I have contacted the one inspector that came up in NM, to see how far he travels. Maybe people do well with E-Bay, but I would not be comfortable buying unless it was close enough to see first.

Will let you all know when we find something. I have been following the Classifieds here, also.

Nancy
Plan4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Smart decision Nancy. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
plan4travel -

as you are finding out, most of us AS owners would never buy an AS unless we can poke, touch and kick it first.

my wife found ours on-line and flew across country to inspect it before we bought it. we then drove across country [AZ - MA] to pick it up and drive home again.

at the same time we bought a new TV to pull it.

good luck on your search!

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Salt Lake , Utah
Thumbs down Buying on Ebay

I bought my 70 Overlander on Ebay about 6 weeks ago. I trusted the pictures and the sellers word about any problems. Then I drove 600 miles to pick it up. I didn't get burned, but I found out the PO didn't know much about the AS because he had never camped in it, and had only owned it for 6 Mos. I wouldn't buy one I (or someone trusted ) hadn't looked at personally. Dale
Oly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Welcome to the most sage advice arena for all things Airstream, plus!! I can't think of another website which offers independent volunteers who will inspect a unit for you and offer recommendations if you ask first; that alone is worth its weight in gold!! My husband and I searched, read, asked questions and kicked many, many tires before we bought our 30' model. In fact, today we sold our Excella through AirForums, and now we begin a new search. Best of luck to you, and do enjoy the journey.
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote