Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Wayne , New Jersey
Buying and refurbishing

I've been researching travel trailers for some months now and I'm amazed at the junk out there and have decided that I want to take a crack at an Airstream. I'd like one in the 19-23 foot range and I have a budget of about $35k. I plan to use it quite a lot. It'll be my home base when I come for visits on the east coast. I expect to spend 40 or more nights per year, mostly 3 day weekends with an occasional 1 week on the road.

My thought is to get a 10-23 foot Airstream that's about 10 years old and work with a dealer to refurbish it to a "like new" condition. Is this realistic? If so, does anyone have ideas? I'll probably be working with Colonial Airstream in Lakewook, NJ.
Murch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
This is just my opinion, and I'm certain you'll get others, but unless you are determined to own a vintage trailer, I would take the 35K "budget", and go looking for the best trailer I could find in that price range. For 35K$, you should be able to find a trailer that is in very good condition, little used, and requiring little to no refurbishing.

Again, my opinion, and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I concur with SteveN as your budget is adequate for a lightly used unit in great condition. The limiting factor may be the time it takes to find the "perfect" choice in you have a particular layout or color scheme in mind.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Wayne , New Jersey
Thanks, guys. Do you suggest I work closely with a dealer or go it alone? Advantages/disadvanatges of private vs dealer?
Murch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murch View Post
Thanks, guys. Do you suggest I work closely with a dealer or go it alone? Advantages/disadvanatges of private vs dealer?
I think that's a personal decision. It will be easier to work with a dealer, but you might save some money doing the search for yourself. However, there are the normal dangers in buying used, so you need to be aware of that, and just because you go thru a dealer, there's still the possibility of those dangers.

Again, this is my opinion.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You might find this information of value as you consider your options. I believe it was prepared in 2010.

Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote