Old 09-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #1

Buyer Checklist

Does anyone have a buyers checklist? Something I can use to inspect a potential purchase?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Texas Cajun :-)

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
Talking

Here are a few ideas starting with most important (to me) then on down as they come to mind. Good luck and God Bless! Roze

*** Condition...are they working now or need work? ***
Bearings (when were they last packed if known)
Brakes (when were they last tested if known)
Tires (how old)
Tongue condition...sturdy, pitted, size of tow ball, ?
(REALLY important up front info so you can bring your new 'baby' home)

Any of the following?...
Leaks in skin or known repairs to any panels
Plumbing leaks
Soft floor spots
Known wrecks or damage to outside that may effect inside
Infestation of rats, mice, etc. (if it's been stored in the field 'yes' is probably it)

General stuff:
What works and what doesn't?
Stove
Frig
Heater
AC
Toilet
Shower

What is original and what isn't?
What paperwork/documentation comes with trailer?
What extras if any come with? i.e. sway bar, table, chairs, awning, etc.

I always ask "why are you selling?" Interesting answers and usually gives some clue as to sellers negotiability.

I'm sure there are more things to ask but this is a quickie list ...I'm in the process of buying myself right now. Good luck!!! Have fun and enjoy.....
p.s. Hubby and I met and married in Grapevine. How's that new whopping convention center looking thing? Also what kind of trailer are you looking for? Will pass on any info if I come across something that might work for you. I'm always looking. "Serious" aluminum addiction here ...ha ha.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Abilities are so diverse among those that buy an AS that telling you what to look for and what to dismiss as repairable would be a difficult task.
The best instance in buying anything is that it be completely intact and operable, but often that is not the case. Many members here have almost rebuilt thier AS from the ground up, removing the shell. modifing floor plans, etc.
If your looking at an older unit that has not been used for a little while, then you will want to check for floor rot as best you can. Soft floors are not good and you will end up replacing them, but you then need to know if the cause was a leaky roof. Check for signs that would tell you the roof has been leaking. Also check around the windows for any streaking this would tell you that the windows have been leaking too.
If possible check to see that the entire electric system works. Hooking up a water supply usually will tell you if any pipes have broken. Step back and look at the wheel well area, if the top of the wheel well comes down past the rim of the tires then chances are that the axel or axels are in need of being replaced.
Go to the rear bumper and put some weight on it. If you have a friend with you then have them stand on it and make jumping motions. If there is any movement at all then you have frame separation, common in 70's models with rear baths. No real biggie, but it does require a complete replacement of the floor back there. You can do a search for "Frame Separation" here on the forum and come up with reading for the rest of the night.
Also look at the shell just behind and above the rear tire. If it shows any buckling then it is rear end sag which is a very costly repair that requires new frame members to be installed.

That's just a few things to look for. I am certain that others will toss in a few more things to be aware of to help you out.

Good Luck in what you buy.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Buyer Checklist

Greetings Stanhinson!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhinson
Does anyone have a buyers checklist? Something I can use to inspect a potential purchase?
While you didn't mention whether you are considering late-model or Vintage, there is a resource for Vintage that could very easily assist in evaluating new coaches as well. Try the link below for some evaluation tips:

Vintage Airstream Price vs. Condition

Table C near the bottom of the page discusses costs for repairs, many of which are common to Airsteams of any era.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Most important item

The above posters left out the most important item - Cash!!!!

Bring enough cash to cover the purchase (plus enough to get home and do whatever it is you have to do), be sure to make a low offer - the seller may accept it with a "cash on the trailer tongue" offer.

Most sellers will not be offended, unless they specifically stated "no offers" previously - it does not cost anything to ask!

Bring a mentor along if possible, and, by all means, be prepared to walk if the unit does not meet your criteria or budget.

Purchasing a used AS is truely an example of "the one who does the most homework wins". Hours spent utilizing the "Search" button here within the Forums will pay off handsomely when the final transaction amount is settled.

Take your time and make a THOROUGH prepurchase investigation - ask if the seller wants to know what you discovered - do not diss the sellers ignorance of what is wrong with the unit - just say "thanks, but no thanks" and say your good-byes.

Days spent scouring the internet, hours on the phone, and thousands of miles of sometimes disapointing inspection travels need to be factored into the cost of purchase. I know that overall an inspection/pickup trip costs me between fifty cents and a buck a mile of one-way travel....sometimes paying a bit more for a comparable unit in the immediate vicinity makes much more sense than trying to save a grand or two and having to travel halfway across the country to retrieve it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Liberty Lake , Washington
Here is a link to a checklist that I found very comprehensive. Although it's not Airstream specific it looks like a great starting point:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
Chris
Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I would say Axles - depending on the year. Anything older than 20 years might certainly need new axles - depending on how it was stored.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

asheville , North Carolina
How do you check the batteries and their ability to have and hold a charge if you are buying from an individual and there is not an Airstream dealer nearby?

If the batteries are from a 2004 and used only a few times and then the trailer sits for six months will there be any charge? How long do standard Airstream batteries last?

Thanks,

Kimberly
Old 03-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Are you looking at trailers or motorhomes? I know us fiberglass motorhome owners are kinda like redheaded step children, but I have a complete checklist for them.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
You might also be interested in the book, "How To Select, Inspect, and Buy an RV" published by the RV Consumers Group. Again, not specific to Airstream, but has a lot of good information in it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #11

Midway , Kentucky
Thanks for all this good information and places of reference. I am considering a 1979 Land Yacht Sovereign as a first purchase and need help. The tires are flat on this unit and it has been stored outside in a backyard.
I especially appreciated the comments about the saging over the wheel wells and the rear shell tips. I want to make sure I give it a good inspection and don't make a huge mistake. What would you say are the top 5 or so DON'T BUY IT IF......
Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Buyer Checklist

Greetings Wizestar!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizestar View Post
Thanks for all this good information and places of reference. I am considering a 1979 Land Yacht Sovereign as a first purchase and need help. The tires are flat on this unit and it has been stored outside in a backyard.
I especially appreciated the comments about the saging over the wheel wells and the rear shell tips. I want to make sure I give it a good inspection and don't make a huge mistake. What would you say are the top 5 or so DON'T BUY IT IF......
Unless the price of the coach was a tremendous bargain, reflecting the costs of repairs -- my top five no-go issues would be:
  1. Seriously rotted floors requiring major section or total replacement -- unless you are skilled with wood-working or make the decision that you want such a project.
  2. Frame that is excessively damaged by rust or that is bent or cracked. Remedying frame problems can be either very time consuming or very expensive as repairs can require rather extensive disassembly -- again if this is known and you consciously want to tackle such a project.
  3. A coach with damaged dome sections. These are among the more expensive panels to purchase (with some models it may be a question of whether they are even available) and expensive to install.
  4. A coach that has had its original RV refrigerator replaced with a household type refrigerator. I purchased one like this -- to return it to RV use required not only the purchase of a new RV refrigerator but also the cost of finding a cabinet maker who could replicate the original cabinet that surrounded the refrigerator, and the technician had to redo much of the LP plumbing due to the way it had been modified when the original refrigerator was removed. -- it could have been worse -- the previous owner who defaced the coach that I bought could have removed the refrigerator chimney as well.
  5. A coach that is missing multiple window frames. This would be a situation where the problem might not be serious, but the availability of replacement parts would need to be known. This can be a particular problem with pre-1966 coaches. The usual reason for the missing window frame is a window air unit installed by a previous owner.
In reality, there are very few problems on an Airstream that cannot be resolved. There are, however, problems that can make it economically impractical to refurbish/restore a coach. The degree to which you can do the work yourself is also a factor. For me, major mechanical work and repairs must be done by a repair facility so I try to be very aware of any required repairs when looking at a coach to purchase.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote