Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Brownstown MI Help looking at an Overlander

This might not be the place to ask, if that is the case please direct me to the right location. I have been looking through this sight for a while now after I got the airstream BUG, it has “the bug” only gotten worse, so why fight it?
I have been looking for a overlander for a while now and think I may have found one in my price range, but it is a bit of a distance away. OK, here is the question.
Is ther any one live in the Browntown MI vicinity that would be willing to help me go look at it? I have never had an AS, or a camper for that mater but I have been doing lots of research on this site.
Thank you..
Jim.
snowpig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Jim,
Have you tries using the "Airstrem Inspector" search on the right side of the "Portal" page??? You might find somebody in MI and then you can PM them.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Brownstown is less than 3 hours from you. Are you looking for assistance to accompany you for evaluation?

Most inspections should probably be on a pass/fail basis. It's tough for both you and the inspector if you buy and then find things you didn't like. IMO it's safer if an inspector covers a number of points and says either it's worth a further look or it's a polished turd.* At some point you'll want your eyes playing a vital role in your decision.

* A term used by restorers, theVAP and others to describe making an Airstream real pretty without taking care to do an overall restoration -- the risk for which increases with vintage units.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Deitz654; Thanks for the tip, that is what I did and drag’nwagon agreed to go look at it with me if we can get are schedules together.

CanoeStream; Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was hoping to find someone who could show me what to look for and the in’s and out’s of an older unit like this. I have never had a travel trailer before and am not sure if Id know if someone stuck a toilet from there home in the back or it is a RV one. Well maybe I’m not that bad, but I have a lot of learning to do.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
Deitz654; Thanks for the tip, that is what I did and drag’nwagon agreed to go look at it with me if we can get are schedules together.

CanoeStream; Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was hoping to find someone who could show me what to look for and the in’s and out’s of an older unit like this. I have never had a travel trailer before and am not sure if Id know if someone stuck a toilet from there home in the back or it is a RV one. Well maybe I’m not that bad, but I have a lot of learning to do.
This sounds like it is coming together the right way. Nothing bad implied in my message. Just trying to figure a way for the help come together best for you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Snowpig
You will like Dave(dragonwagon) my wife and I have camped with him and his wife. You are doing the inspection the correct way, an I ball ,hands on ,is the best way.Dave can give the finer points of what you should be looking for. Brownstown is only 2 hrs from you. I know I lived in your area about 30 yrs ago.
Good Luck I hope this is the one for you. There are quite a few people in the surronding area where you live that have Airstreams and I know would be glad to answer any of your questions first hand and any of the Ohio Rallys.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Jim,
As they used to say on The "A" Team..."I love it when a plan comes together." Make sure you come back to this thread and give us a full report of what the trailer was like and what you learned from Drag'nwagon.

Good luck and I hope you found "your" Airstream.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
This one is not for me.
All the roof vents are broke and the windows had been leaking for who knows how long, so it is wet and rotted in a lot of areas. I think it needs a whole floor. It also appears to have some rotted out riggers, viewing from within the rotted out wheel wheels. The rear is sagging and the tires are rotted. Fridge corroded along the floor ware the wet floor has been surrounding it. Fresh water tank disconnected, for what reason I do not know and the water pump was in the trunk. Bath had a few cracks in the plastic, but mostly other than really icky not in to bad of shape.
I had a friend with me that kept shaking his head and smiling, saying this is gong to be a lot of work.
The owner was nice enough to let me take my time looking around learning, so that was good. All in all it was a good experience; but I still have lots to learn.
Want to send a public thank you to the people that gave me the good inspection tips and to drag’nwagon for talking me through it, and welcoming us to his home to check out is 74 and 56.
All in all, it was a good day.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
No problem. As I am sure you could tell, we love to show off our pride and joys. And yes I guess we are fanatics! Anyhow better luck with the next one.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote