Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
What a Really Bad Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector

Maybe for someone to post a classified ad they should have a minimum amount of posts say 20 or so and a complete profile as well as a recent post.
There is an abundance of good advice on this thread addressing lebolewis' original issue. We don't need any more well intentioned rules or restrictions to protect us from the universe of nasting, scheming, resellers, and flippers out there. Just think of all the unintended consequences this could have.

What about the new forum member who just wants to be a member long enough to advertise that pristine 31' Airstream that Grandpa parked in the pole barn 20 years ago when Grandma passed on to that glorious Airstream rally in the great beyond? It just might be the one that lebo is looking for as long as the Grandson agrees to install OPDs on the propane tanks and replace the tires.

What about the new forum member that just found another Airstream in better condition or with a more suitable floorplan than his first one?

I think that we have clearly established that lebolewis has very high expectations and runs a very high risk of being frustrated with 9 out of the 10 used Airstreams out there.

Call me a Republican if you like, but I'll take full responsibility for my decisions and actions including the dumb, boneheaded ones. I don't need anyone's protection from the buyers and sellers in the used Airstream marketplace.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #42
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
we drove to SO CAL to look at a "desirable" trailer, 2200 miles round trip. We spent 5 minutes looking at dented end caps, rotted floor, corroded by salt air bare aluminum parts and left..... what a bummer!

Ouch. lol
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #43
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
we drove to SO CAL to look at a "desirable" trailer, 2200 miles round trip. We spent 5 minutes looking at dented end caps, rotted floor, corroded by salt air bare aluminum parts and left..... what a bummer!
Wow, that's a little worst then my 1850 mile round trip to NO CAL to find a very soft floor, several small holes in the skin (22 cal) and many other very bad things. I did spend an hour looking and saying "it can't be this bad". Drove the 925 mile back home the next day (15 hours) pissed.
Things do work out for the better. A few months later I bought my trailer from a forum member (great guy) and could not be more pleased. Yes you have to kiss a few toads.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #44
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
[quote=klevan]
........I think that we have clearly established that lebolewis has very high expectations and runs a very high risk of being frustrated with 9 out of the 10 used Airstreams out there.

Kelvan....If you take another look at my post (#14) where I stated exactly what I was looking for in a used Airstream, you will find that I said there are "MUSTS" and "prefers". They are not the same. Must are just that,......meaning if the trailer doesn't have them, I'm not interested. Prefer doesn't mean a deal breaker, it is a desirable thing, but I wouldn't pass up a trailer because it was missing. You seem to not have considered that in some of your comments.

This thread was intended to offer all that much help to the "experienced", "seasoned", Airstreamer, such as yourself. I started it to WARN the NEWBIES, like myself, that there are some shady, deceitful RESELLERS out there that misrepresent their offerings,........ even when their ad is listed on a reputable place like this respected Forum. That's what I intended. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #45
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I think this is an interesting and valuable thread. Many of us have had "odd" experiences buying trailers. Had we known then what we know now, we would have been pickier - or at least driven a harder bargain. Keep looking - you'll find what you want. And thanks for putting up the thread.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
I started it to WARN the NEWBIES, like myself, that there are some shady, deceitful RESELLERS out there that misrepresent their offerings,........ even when their ad is listed on a reputable place like this respected Forum. That's what I intended. Bill
I think that is always good advice, and a good thing to remind people of. As they say, this is a community, and it takes all kinds to fill it out. It's good to remember they are not all on the same side.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote