Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #29
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Bill,
I fear you will be disappointed more often than not. What you describe is a 30 year Airstream to which someone else has already:

Replaced the axles
Replaced the Air Conditioner
Replaced the refrigerator
Installed new tires
Installed new batteries
Replaced the propane tanks or installed OPDs on the old ones

Why would they sell it to you for $10,000? Hmmm?
Klevan, your example is a bit extream, especially for early 80's trailers, but I never said it would be easy! I'm persistant and still looking. Bill

Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Peace Be With You, Brother

You are correct, of course,my example was a little extreme. We would all be delighted to find what you describe; however, in the ten years that I have been an Airstream junkie, I have never seen what you are looking for. I have no doubt there may be a few out there, but with all the recent publicity and the resurgence in their popularity, used Airstreams cost way more than they once did.

Good luck in your quest. We are all hoping you find the "Mother of All Good Deals."

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's about perceptions and expectations...

Bill;

Having bought ours 2300 miles from home, and having written and taught about negotiations and contract law and electronic contracting, let me add some more specific detailed advice..

1. It is unrealistic to expect any two people to see the same trailer in same light. Some sellers see "perfection" in a salvage or parts trailer, and some buyers see "junk" in a brand new trailer delivered from the factory. You can succeed by applying your standards to what you can find and look at...

2. Knowing some sellers will over-estimate their product (remember, used car salespersons are among least trusted and admired in all of US Society..), you need to lay your eyes on it, or some other trusted eyes BEFORE making buy or don't buy decision, including value judgments...

3. Sellers are not likely to be held accountable for costs incurred by buyer to get to their purchase, even if sale falls through, absent clear and intentional misrepresentation or fraud. You should approach any buy with plan and agreement that if it isn't what you want, you go home with your purchase funds back, but no "inconvenience" or travel costs.. The more you spend to travel a long way or pay a shipper to haul something home sight unseen, the larger financial risk YOU are taking...

4. Several people reference "Red Flags" or other clues to alert you to problems and stop the process before it gets too expensive. These are good, and should be honored. If you don't know a lot about sellers, and where they live and work, and have some effective Plan "B" or "C" if things don't work out as hoped for, slow down or stop altogether...

5. Finally, while admirable, your quest for the perfect 31' trailer with everything in great condition for less than $10K puts you in middle or rear of a pack of buyers, and you should ponder why a seller would pick you out to sell to, when others might pay more or accept less in condition. Point is to be realistic, and understand national and regional markets, and be prepared to move target or move fast if trailer close to goal comes along. Assuming you'll be able to stumble on "great deal" and take your time to acquire it carefully may be unrealistic in a small national market.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I don't think Klevan was extreem he just left out replacing the awning.

Garry
Old 06-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Damn it, Garry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I don't think Klevan was extreem he just left out replacing the awning.

Garry
Damn it, Garry, you are so picky. I assumed something was still intact and functional. I know, I know, how do you spell ASS U ME?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Lightbulb Re focus on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If I saw an ad in the classified, and the "member" had been a member for 18 months without posting anything, I would be suspicious.

If they are in the business, they should have something useful to contribute.
After reading all this, this one statement means more to me than any others.

Who is this person selling this trailer? I have looked at their member profiles to see if any posts were made, pictures or thread participation. Like he said 18 month member with no posts but a few classifieds.

These are not members of our community these are car salesmen who use this forum because when someone is looking for airstream it gets the web hits.

On one hand it makes the knowledgable ones (us active members) upset to see this and it takes advantage of the newbie.

Maybe for someone to post a classified ad they should have a minimum amount of posts say 20 or so and a complete profile as well as a recent post.

I had expectations that looking at classifieds on this forum would result in a little better feeling than trying my luck on Ebay or rv trader, there is a unwritten preconception that classified ads would be posted by forum members (active users of this forum, people who use airstream trailers, and talk about them.)

OK I'm off the soap Box.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would agree with a change like that. At least then they would be active members of the community, and that in itself would say alot about them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #36
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
What a GREAT idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
After reading all this, this one statement means more to me than any others.

Who is this person selling this trailer? I have looked at their member profiles to see if any posts were made, pictures or thread participation. Like he said 18 month member with no posts but a few classifieds.

These are not members of our community these are car salesmen who use this forum because when someone is looking for airstream it gets the web hits.

On one hand it makes the knowledgable ones (us active members) upset to see this and it takes advantage of the newbie.

Maybe for someone to post a classified ad they should have a minimum amount of posts say 20 or so and a complete profile as well as a recent post.

I had expectations that looking at classifieds on this forum would result in a little better feeling than trying my luck on Ebay or rv trader, there is a unwritten preconception that classified ads would be posted by forum members (active users of this forum, people who use airstream trailers, and talk about them.)

OK I'm off the soap Box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I would agree with a change like that. At least then they would be active members of the community, and that in itself would say alot about them.
That sounds like an excellent idea to me, too. Have a rule that restricts placing ads on this Forum to Forum Members, only..... who have made at least 20 posts, and some number of posts within the last month. What a great idea! That certainly would eliminate the "USED CAR SALESMEN" types who get a free ride advertising their offerings and free access to a large number of potential customers, many of which are "Newbies".

Campcollector, you deserve some KARMA!!

How do we get this implimented? Bill
Old 06-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #37
Site Team

, Minnesota
NOT a great idea. We don't need more rules.

What would help is a link from the sellers name that takes you to the member profile, so you can see and read their history and posts.

You can do it now, but the member list is so large it takes awhile to find the name.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #38
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Good idea Camp Collector.

Maybe the powers that be will look into something like this. I think it would be at least a small step to help maintain the integrity of this community. Granted it wouldnt solve it but it would help, imo.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
That sounds like an excellent idea to me, too. Have a rule that restricts placing ads on this Forum to Forum Members, only..... who have made at least 20 posts, and some number of posts within the last month. What a great idea! That certainly would eliminate the "USED CAR SALESMEN" types who get a free ride advertising their offerings and free access to a large number of potential customers, many of which are "Newbies". Campcollector, you deserve some KARMA!! How do we get this implimented? Bill
Not a good idea. The "Used Car Salesman" could in 20 minutes quickly welcome 20 newbies to the Forums, adding nothing of substance but appearing friendly and involved while also meeting the gateway requirement of 20 Forum posts to then post a classified ad. Some good deals from older folks or unsophisticated computer users getting out the hobby and selling their well cared for trailer would likely be prevented from being listed for sale here.

Sometimes in life you gotta kiss some frogs before discovering your prince or princess. Those seeking a Good Trailerkeeping Seal of Approval before buying a used trailer may perhaps be better off limiting their search to reputable, established new/used trailer dealers who might inspect and repair used trailers before offering them for sale. But first read some threads about the condition of brand new Airstream trailers upon delivery to, again, avoid having their expectations of a "better world" being shattered.

Are Karma comments available only to the person receiving them? Or can they be viewed by other Forum members, and if so, how? If not, perhaps they should be ... as a Forum of Gossip or something. If Karma comments are not publicly viewable, then perhaps only as a matter of ineffective feel-good private retribution, members could leave negative Karma for the "Used Car Salesmen" who have disappointed them.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #40
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Not a good idea. The "Used Car Salesman" could in 20 minutes quickly welcome 20 newbies to the Forums, adding nothing of substance but appearing friendly ........

Are Karma comments available only to the person receiving them? Or can they be viewed by other Forum members, and if so, how? ......
You make a couple of interesting points. It's easy to rack up posts - just ask anyone aiming for rivet master status...

Karma comments are not publically viewable.

The Classifieds software is a plug in and hard to tweak. Many functions either don't work well (zipcode function) or are just not available. It's not perfect - far from it but for now it's what we have.

I too would be wary of a seller who is not an active forum member. I wish I'd found this forum before we bought... we drove to SO CAL to look at a "desirable" trailer, 2200 miles round trip. We spent 5 minutes looking at dented end caps, rotted floor, corroded by salt air bare aluminum parts and left..... what a bummer!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
What a Really Bad Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector

There is an abundance of good advice on this thread addressing lebolewis' original issue. We don't need any more well intentioned rules or restrictions to protect us from the universe of nasting, scheming, resellers, and flippers out there. Just think of all the unintended consequences this could have.

What about the new forum member who just wants to be a member long enough to advertise that pristine 31' Airstream that Grandpa parked in the pole barn 20 years ago when Grandma passed on to that glorious Airstream rally in the great beyond? It just might be the one that lebo is looking for as long as the Grandson agrees to install OPDs on the propane tanks and replace the tires.

What about the new forum member that just found another Airstream in better condition or with a more suitable floorplan than his first one?

I think that we have clearly established that lebolewis has very high expectations and runs a very high risk of being frustrated with 9 out of the 10 used Airstreams out there.

Call me a Republican if you like, but I'll take full responsibility for my decisions and actions including the dumb, boneheaded ones. I don't need anyone's protection from the buyers and sellers in the used Airstream marketplace.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #42
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
we drove to SO CAL to look at a "desirable" trailer, 2200 miles round trip. We spent 5 minutes looking at dented end caps, rotted floor, corroded by salt air bare aluminum parts and left..... what a bummer!

Ouch. lol

former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote