Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Best Floorplan for Growing Family of 6

Hi!

Obviously this is a tall order, but if anyone has any insight on how to best fit our family, that'd be so great. Maybe there is a recommended floor plan to start with, and/or maybe someone knows of a great modification we could make.

Right now, the oldest of our four kids is 8....so they're tiny and we can stack em up. But 6 is 6---and we still need some space.

We do have a beat on one the rare 30' Safari's from 05-06 that offers the bunk beds (which appears to be one of our best options in terms of space), but there are some issues with it and we're looking for a plan B.

Thx!!!

PS Couple other issues with this 30' bunk unit we're looking at, if anyone can weigh in: 1. I heard it had some problems with stress fractures at the front of the unit (coming off the bottom of the storage area); and 2. People hate the captains chairs that tend to tip over and move during travel...I'm thinking there has to be a solution?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
PM Pizzachop. Ron's an expert on the subject of AS's and family.

Welcome to the forum.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
How about a tent or screen room to supplement? I set up my kitchen on the picnic table outside and that helps with the congestion in side.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
We have a family of 5 and our youngest of three kids is 4, we have a 69 Soveriegn with bunk beds, everyone is comfortable. The floor plan has the bath in the rear, then moving forward the twin bunks, kitchen, living room/master bdrm. It works for and we are full timers.
Engtech05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
hi robbie

we are a family of only 3 + dog, however we have a 1998 34 footer with twin beds (bought thinking there would be a bigger family!) and I could easily see putting 6 in there. Mom & Dad get the front couch - make sure it's comfy, we were lucky, ours was barely used. Our baby slept on a pack n play beside the couch - we didn't use the twin beds for a while! The dinette will sleep two small ones. You can also fit a compact pack n play between the twin beds, or a "pea pod" travel bed but remove the knobs from the cabinets under the beds so no one bangs on it. You can also just fit a crib mattress between the beds - we thought of putting a plywood sheet under the twin bed mattresses across the aisle so we could place a mattress in the aisle at bed level.

You could also do all this with the late 90s 25' safari six sleeper (not sure what other years they made this) but we went with the 34' b/c my husband is tall and wanted the larger bathroom. We've thought of trading down but we are told that the difference in ease of towing between e.g. a 34 and a 25 would be barely noticeable. Husband is happy with the big one but I get nervous when I have to direct him!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Katy , Texas
TommyL

Go to this site Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

It has all of the floor plans you might be looking for. I just found it, looks great and very informative.
Engtech05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
oops i wrote robbie - meant tommy!! not enough coffee yet this morn! apologies!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
How about PanAmerica? You can put all your younglings in the playpen and shut the door.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We have a family of 4 and are in the process of redoing our '68

I took out the twin beds and put bunks for the kids on one side and a small dinette we can eat at on the other. could put bunks on both sides and build a dinette in the front to accommodate 6 but we only have four. So we have an L shape couch the folds into our bed in the front..

you can see the bunks here

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Many thanks!

Encouraging.

...and good suggestions/options.

Tommy